PERFORMANCE MODIFICTION QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

OK, my truck runs really strong when I first take off it... I usually give it a little onion on the on ramps to the interstate. When I do this while the temps are below 180 the truck runs really strong....burning rubber all the way up the ramp. Now after it get completely warmed up and you do the same thing it acts either like its getting too much fuel or timing is being pulled. So, far I have checked and changed all the plugs, double checked the tstat to make sure it was the 170. I have also added a bigger inter cooler and a better pump. The truck runs fine when your just putting around town no pinging or codes or anything like that. It builds a consistant 5psi of boost all the time its under boosted applications.

Sorry for the rant, its just getting a little frustrating. I really need to find a competent shop some where close to me(Denver or Salt Lake City).

tony, what are your thought on this....
Since it also works on the Magnum engines (318-360 or 5.2-5.9) , it SHOULD work on any Viper engine...........NA,supercharged,flashed or stock.

Very simple install .........just cut one of the wires from the IAT and splice in a resistor (I used a 4.7,but 5 to 7 should also work).The IAT is located just in front of the throttle body in the intake tube on the right as you look at the engine

i have the stage 2 flash, any benefit? would it hurt anything if i tried it?:dontknow:

SANCHOBA said:
tony, what are your thought on this....

i have the stage 2 flash, any benefit? would it hurt anything if i tried it?:dontknow:
i tried it and got a check engine light so i took it off. just some info, nysteve has researched this alot

i know it tricks the computer into thinking the intake air is cooler...but what happens? makes it run richer?

SANCHOBA said:
i know it tricks the computer into thinking the intake air is cooler...but what happens? makes it run richer?
my understanding is it doesnt let the computer pull timing when it gets hot so you dont loose horsepower

tsmith3 said:
OK, my truck runs really strong when I first take off it... I usually give it a little onion on the on ramps to the interstate. When I do this while the temps are below 180 the truck runs really strong....burning rubber all the way up the ramp. Now after it get completely warmed up and you do the same thing it acts either like its getting too much fuel or timing is being pulled. So, far I have checked and changed all the plugs, double checked the tstat to make sure it was the 170. I have also added a bigger inter cooler and a better pump. The truck runs fine when your just putting around town no pinging or codes or anything like that. It builds a consistant 5psi of boost all the time its under boosted applications.

Sorry for the rant, its just getting a little frustrating. I really need to find a competent shop some where close to me(Denver or Salt Lake City).

Sounds to me like you really need to find a Tuner. It runs really strong in open loop but then doesn't run as well once the pcm starts making adjustments. Do you have a AFR meter in the truck? I would be worried about a lean condition on boost. With my procharger they don't recommend putting on the boost until the engine has warmed up just for that reason (open loop mode).

Stinker said:
bingo! Tsmith3 you might try this also;)

I tried that as well... saw no difference after the mod. I don't have an AFR in there yet.

Yes, it definately needs a tune a Dyno tune. I think its running rich not lean:dontknow: would a bad O2 sesnor make it run rich?

tsmith3 said:
I tried that as well... saw no difference after the mod. I don't have an AFR in there yet.

Yes, it definately needs a tune a Dyno tune. I think its running rich not lean:dontknow: would a bad O2 sesnor make it run rich?

you need a air fuel meter to tell, or take a couple plugs out an checkem

what tuner are ya running , and have ya ever had it tuned before

MAN I LOVE THIS THREAD:rock: :rock: :rock:

and thanks everyone for keeping it on track , and thanks to the mods and admins for helping:rock:

No tune or tuner that I know of besides what Paxton did with it.

Give me a little bit I'm going to go pull a few plugs and check them again.

Ok so we have a member with a blown Roe engine

Perk

so how would everyone proceed, lets give him some help here:rock:

i think he found a new block for a decent deal.

but what next?
\

rods pistons?

does he need mains?

would you go ahead and do the heads?

suggestions

tsmith3 said:

it sounds like after it gets hot it is going rich on ya, dont think the O2's are going to affect it that much.

but with that said, if you can find race fuel, about 110 octane or better and fresh, drop in about 10 gallons, try that, if it still runs well after getting warm, then more than likely you are running rich.

What you're experiencing is heat soak especially during the summer months. Second your PCM is removing timing because of the temps to deter detonation. There have been a couple of posts on here on how to fool you PCM that its seeing colder intake air, but I would suggest against it. As it is a safe guard against blowing your engine. The summer months are not blower car weather. You could alway do water injection to cool your intake charge and run more timing.

tsmith3 said:

Heat Soak

Thanks for bringing this up Alex.
I was expecting higher temps with the Paxton, but WOW!

I was wondering if we could get a list going of what temps people are running, (oil & water at least).
To compare the differences between Paxton, Roe, Single Turbo, and Twin Turbo.

I've only driven my new truck once (to get inspection, about 30 miles).
During this drive the oil hit 240-260, and the water red lined with "check engine" lights. (no codes)
But, It did cool down really quick after I turned it off.

Stinker said:
Ok so we have a member with a blown Roe engine

Perk

so how would everyone proceed, lets give him some help here:rock:

i think he found a new block for a decent deal.

but what next?
\

rods pistons?

does he need mains?

would you go ahead and do the heads?

suggestions

i need to find someone to do the build for me. im waiting on a few calls it will be next week beffor i hear something. im still interested in the 522 anyone running one?

Dude if it got that hot then there is something wrong with your truck. You need to make sure your water pump is running, or your t-stat must be stuck. You need to have it checked ASAP.

As for as heat soak I'm not really talking about engine and oil temps although they affect the engine performance as well. What I talking about in the FI engines is the intake charge temps which dramatically effect the performance. Blowers and turbos make a lot of heat which is why we run intercoolers, meth injection, or both to cool down the intake charge to prevent heat soak and detonation. As we all know the cooler the charge the denser the air subsequently the more power.

As far as engine temps during summer months my water temp reaches around 210 and oil around 200 its never gone hire than that. During the 1 month of winter here runs a lot cooler.

Hope this help ya out.

WOLFRAM said:
Thanks for bringing this up Alex.
I was expecting higher temps with the Paxton, but WOW!

I was wondering if we could get a list going of what temps people are running, (oil & water at least).
To compare the differences between Paxton, Roe, Single Turbo, and Twin Turbo.

I've only driven my new truck once (to get inspection, about 30 miles).
During this drive the oil hit 240-260, and the water red lined with "check engine" lights. (no codes)
But, It did cool down really quick after I turned it off.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back