periodic non-starting issue on (very) low-mile 05 SRT-10

The other side of possible flooding causing a startup issue is NO fuel. There is a Schrader fitting (black cap, pass-side fuel rail), where you are able to connect a gauge. IF during cranking (no start) you are getting low or no pressure, you have found your problem. If the pressure is up around 60 psi, it is not a fuel supply issue.
Some trial and error is normally required.

That makes sense, but it is always just the first crank. Sometimes the second. 95% of the time it will start on the second crank. The other 5% it starts on the 3rd crank.

And this doesn't matter whether it is a cold or warm start. First thing in the morning, the first crank doesn't work, the second crank does. Arrive it around town, stop and get gas. First crank doesn't work, second crank does.

I'm hopeful it has something to do with the fact it hasn't been driven much and really does just need a good cleaning out. I'm going to run a couple of tanks of good gas through it and possibly some seafoam.

I have no idea about your background, so apologies in advance...

A fuel pressure gauge can be purchased many places for around 50 bucks. As long as it has a screw-on Schrader fitting (same as a tire stem) like many do, and it goes up to 100 psi or so, you are good to go. If you are by yourself, your phone can video its' response while you are cranking it over.

I would begin there.

Probably a good leg stretching will do wonders! Get the battery all charged up and her brain all reset and some good fuel - she'll feel like she had a good day at the spa! Hahahaha :p:cool:

Good tip on the phone talking video!!

This is more for classic cars with rotten rubber fuel lines but maybe there's a leak or loose fitting somewhere. Might be losing prime in between starts. We are starting to push classic car age though lol

I may be way off but is there a check valve in the fuel system? Might be stuck open and pressure is going back to tank when it's shut off...

I may be way off but is there a check valve in the fuel system? Might be stuck open and pressure is going back to tank when it's shut off...
That's why I'd start with a simple pressure test when it is cranking.

It may have a flaky fuel pump relay.(?)

Without doing basic tests, it's just guessing.

This is more for classic cars with rotten rubber fuel lines but maybe there's a leak or loose fitting somewhere. Might be losing prime in between starts. We are starting to push classic car age though lol
That does appear to be from the description ,, so from what my impression is that the fuel injection systems are a full loop system making the fuel fill the entire system and pressure once the key activates the fuel pump .. if there is some sort of check valve causing fuel to bleed back into the gas tank that the pressure would not build sufficient system pressure .. maybe turn the key on and wait a bit longer to see it that helps .. without a doubt you should try what Ronnie stated and test the fuel pressure and then look into what OGVIPER is stating .. .

Probably a good leg stretching will do wonders! Get the battery all charged up and her brain all reset and some good fuel - she'll feel like she had a good day at the spa! Hahahaha :p:cool:

Ok, the losing prime thing makes sense as my Lagonda had that issue before we sorted its EFI system with various bad hoses/seals/etc., BUT.... Now that I've put a nice tank of fresh gas and put on an additional 10% more miles than the truck ever had including some, um, spirited runs on the back roads around here, it seems to be clearing up a bit. Today I got my first couple of successful starts on a (long) first crank. We'll see how it goes.

You guys are a wealth of knowledge! Looking forward to learning a lot more here.

Yay! She's gonna clean up and act right I just know it. She's got cobwebs! :cool:

Ok, the losing prime thing makes sense as my Lagonda had that issue before we sorted its EFI system with various bad hoses/seals/etc., BUT.... Now that I've put a nice tank of fresh gas and put on an additional 10% more miles than the truck ever had including some, um, spirited runs on the back roads around here, it seems to be clearing up a bit. Today I got my first couple of successful starts on a (long) first crank. We'll see how it goes.

You guys are a wealth of knowledge! Looking forward to learning a lot more here.
Cool progress is great !
Something that has also been a problem after a truck has been sitting or never getting the gas tank completely filled .. the problem can occur when trying to fill the tank causing the gas pump nozzle to shut on and off and take an hour to get the tank filled .. has something to do with the rollover checkball/valve in the filler tube or gas tank ( I’m not sure where it’s located ) but the problem appears to solve itself after filling the tank completely and regular complete fill ups , at least in my case and others in the past and only happened once !

Uhh ohhh I'll have to remember that

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back