Project : RATTLE SNAKE

HaulinAsp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so most of y-all know of my misfortune happenings to my engine.:eek: I drove my truck like it was intended and I got bit by cheap pistons that destroyed my engine block. I can't afford to purchase a complete forged built short block and then pony up 5K for a dry sump oiling system as insurance to hope it lives.

I came to the conclussion as I wrote the monthly payment for the super truck that sits in the driveway with no heart in it, "put a diesel in it".

I took some time to deeply think this through. Granted the value of the truck won't be the same down the road, ok I can accept that. But I will have one that is truly unique and one of a kind.

Cummins Diesel engines are a natural for me to build out some stupid serious power. I love their inherit traits on building slammingly huge torque numbers down low in the rpm band. Getting them to rev up past 4500 will be a matter of stacking some chips to alter the programming.

I will pull the Viper 6 speed trans and let that sit in the corner for another project, possibly my 66 Charger. There's no way the T56 would survive behind a diesel of this nature. I am looking into a New Venture 5 spd with a Gear Vendors, this should give me those long legs I grew accustomed to with the Viper Drivetrain.

The rear will probably need some attention as well. I will look into that also as I need to find out if we can beef up the rear that is currently there or should I just cut down a Dana 70 and beef that. I honestly don't know what all can be done to the stock Viper truck rears so I would like to hear from someone in that dept.

The front coil spring rate will be addressed to support the slightly heavier diesel engine.

All in all I just seemed to have gotten enthuisiastic again for my Srt-10.

I bring thee- PROJECT :

RATTLE SNAKE:rock: :rock: :rock:

Projected power should be around 800 hp with 6 cylinders.

Sounds good!

Take lots of pics, this will definitely be a one-off build!!:rock:

I have a Cummins Common Rail engine complete with engine harnesses already on the way. I know quite a few companies that are major players in the diesel performance aftermarket. Custom CP3's will be requested along with custom injectors and a sweet Compound Turbo set up. We don't call them twins, we call them compounds as we use a smaller turbo to spool up a much larger one. The small one should be around a 66/14 and a much larger one under that.....

Lets hear the plan in terms of building this engine...plan the work, work the plan to be at goal when finished...details will be wonderful...my first venture into the smokey world!

The plans are to tear down the new prospect that is coming to me, place it on engine stand and to measure everything and scope the bores for roundness.

I will then o-ring the cylinder head with a BHJ o-ring tool fixture and then install a reciever groove in the decksurface (once I know the deck is true and flat.) I have a machinest friend who will deck my diesel blocks for 60 bucks.

I have already done cylinder head porting on 12V and 24V diesels with outstanding egt reductions.

I also already have a custom ground performance camshaft coming from a good friend in Washington State. He has quite a few cams out there now in street and race trucks along with some land speed vehicles. I spoke with him numerous times during the developmental stages and fully trust his knowledge on grinding me a cam that will make those turbos scream.

The injection pump(s) are Common Rail CP3 style, I will start out with a modified CP3 then adapt a second CP3 into the mix once the engine, trans and truck is sorted out. This will be from one of the leaders of the injection aftermarket game in Diesel racing. One of their CP3.4 pumps currently resides in the fastest diesel truck in the land, and one of their mechanical P-7100 pumps resides in the second fastest diesel truck in the land. I have one of these bad azz mechanical P-pumps already for another project. These very same guys will be tapped for a set of their custom designed and flowed injectors. Fuel support and air support will not be an issue.

:rock: :rock:

mopower1958 said:
Just call MOSER and order a Dana 60 with wilwood brakes. I got mine from a local dealer for 2600.00 with 5/8 studs, spool,4.10 gear and rear cover with bearing cap girdle.

This man knows power and diesel! Listen carefully to his advice...

We have narrowed down Dana 70's for this purpose and had good success. The extra weight helps plant the rear tires....

One word of caution.

There is more to the front end than just spring rates. Take a look at the upper and lower control arms and the spindles. They may not be rated for the extra weight and dynamic loads that the Cummins will subject them to.

You sure don't want to be crusing down the road at speed, hit a pot hole and lose one corner of your suspension.

Good luck on your build.

BurntRubber said:
A quick idea...maybe you could get a GenII engine in their, someone is selling a 98 motor with 20k miles for $5,000

http://www.viperalley.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3189&cat=5

otherwise best of luck!!! what is the estimated cost with going the cummins route. and putting a grand into the T56 will hold 900rwhp...not sure of the trq

Great find and even better idea...

The Cummins is a monster to begin with, and although it's not too much heavier than the Viper V-10, the torque it produces, just stock, is awesome, with the tuning mods that you're planning you're talking about some serious coin in the tranny and drive line to make sure you're not going to lunch everything. Those mods are big $$$, a good CP3, like one from Industrial Injection, is almost $4K, and if you go with duals, which would be a good idea with compounds, WOW that's some huge money, not even including sticks, etc. Your post got me thinking about the same thing, and just pencil whipping it real quick with about $4K max budget for a junkyard motor it'd end up costing about as much as I paid for the truck, just to get it as bulletproof as I'd want it...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about diesel power, and I'm pretty sure that my 9K pound Excursion that's pushing 600 HP and close to 850+ torque could keep up no worries with my SRT-10 now, which is bone stock. It should run high 13s easy, but I don't know for sure since I still haven't gotten it to the track. It's a work/tow truck and towing puts enough wear and tear on it without doing any more dyno runs or draggin' it.

Best of luck no matter what you do!

I am currently co-sponsored by Industrial Injection with my Pro Mod Diesel Race Truck which was already featured in Diesel Power Magazine. So trust me I already know the costs of those items, I am sure this truck will get plenty of exposure given the nature of this conversion on the rarity of the truck so I am sure Industrial Injection will take care of me as they have always done......

And yes I do know what it takes to push 1000 hp from a diesel thru a trans and have a pretty stout plan of attack for awesome performance and durability.....

HaulinAsp said:
I am currently co-sponsored by Industrial Injection with my Pro Mod Diesel Race Truck which was already featured in Diesel Power Magazine. So trust me I already know the costs of those items, I am sure this truck will get plenty of exposure given the nature of this conversion on the rarity of the truck so I am sure Industrial Injection will take care of me as they have always done......

And yes I do know what it takes to push 1000 hp from a diesel thru a trans and have a pretty stout plan of attack for awesome performance and durability.....

OK...OK...easy, I wasn't try to hurt your feelings or rain or your parade, but you also didn't mention your sponsorship with II, which no doubt makes a huge difference when/if it comes time to write a check. My numbers, which are well into the $20K range are what the Average Joe would have to pay, which is the category that the majority of us here fall into...

Really, good luck, I'll be about the last guy to say that you're ruining your truck, and the first to warn everyone here to look the fug out, it's gonna be a 1/4 mile beast! :top:

LOL I wasn't being brash towards ya LOL I thought I needed to post a brief background in my diesel knowledge-:rock: :rock: :rock:

HaulinAsp said:
LOL I wasn't being brash towards ya LOL I thought I needed to post a brief background in my diesel knowledge-:rock: :rock: :rock:

Right on, it's gonna rock and you cannot go wrong with I/I, especially when it comes to Dodges. Your build is gonna be a must subscribed thread! :rock:

^^^ All right, that was my 100th post. So glad I got that outta the way and ditched "Junior" status!

Ronin said:
Right on, it's gonna rock and you cannot go wrong with I/I, especially when it comes to Dodges. Your build is gonna be a must subscribed thread! :rock:

Thanks!! And yes Industrial Injection is TOP SHELF when it comes to top performing Cummins Diesel Dodges. Brady and Shane and the rest of the team are quality people.:congrats:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back