Rebuilding engine with Turbo in mind.

SrtBrad

Michel Productions
Reaction score
I spun a rod at 5500 rpm and you could imagine what the crank and rods look like. Can anyone guess what cylinder spun the rod bearing?

Anyways I'm using this mishap as an excuse to build the engine ground up in stages. The end goal is running turbo netting 1000rwhp and be my daily driver.

I am taking an online crash course in viper engines and doing a lot of research and homework. I could use some advise from any members who have rebuilt their engines and the results of their rebuilds.

What kind of internal and external engine parts are best suited for my end goal. Also what compression ratio should I be building the engine for?

Turbo (from what I know) has had a bad rep with these trucks and am willing to bet my rebuilt engine with the proper internals, tuning, and engine management the turbo can live.

I will be selling off my property in California Valley to finance this rebuild. If anyone is interested in a 5 acre lot PM me and I'll send you all the details.

I might have a sponsor to help me thru this adventure and all help is appreciated.

Brad

My first thought is to talk with Dan at DC Performance...especially given their knowledge of the Viper motor and proximity for a build up.

Those with the turbo setups would be the best to get info from.

Have fun and best of luck with the build!

Sorry you lost the engine.Good luck with the build would like to see how it progresses

While DC is great...I think the king of turbo's for our trucks is Underground Racing...at least call them.

Brad....so sorry bud......what happened?....Nos?....

2ndly...selling land for a turbo....don't know man...sleep on it....when you are done with a $25,000 turbo build your truck will still be worth mid 30's at best...

just some food for thought....in a couple years when you are bored with the truck you may want that land back....:dontknow:

SrtBrad said:
I spun a rod at 5500 rpm and you could imagine what the crank and rods look like. Can anyone guess what cylinder spun the rod bearing?

Anyways I'm using this mishap as an excuse to build the engine ground up in stages. The end goal is running turbo netting 1000rwhp and be my daily driver.

I am taking an online crash course in viper engines and doing a lot of research and homework. I could use some advise from any members who have rebuilt their engines and the results of their rebuilds.

What kind of internal and external engine parts are best suited for my end goal. Also what compression ratio should I be building the engine for?

Turbo (from what I know) has had a bad rep with these trucks and am willing to bet my rebuilt engine with the proper internals, tuning, and engine management the turbo can live.

I will be selling off my property in California Valley to finance this rebuild. If anyone is interested in a 5 acre lot PM me and I'll send you all the details.

I might have a sponsor to help me thru this adventure and all help is appreciated.

Brad
when i spoke with stinker about doin a turbo setup similar to his he told me to expect to drop atleast 30k todo it right,u might wanna go the route of a sc for everyday driving

When I spun the #3 rod bearing it was under deceleration from 6000 rpm. I wasn't running NOS but was running Meth injection. The rod spun probably from my 41K miles of agressive driving. I have made ove 300 passes at the track. When you play sometimes you have to pay. It's all part of the game.

I've always wanted to rebuild this engine anyways and will have an opportunity to do it now.

300 passes...that must be a record...I may have 15...maybe that is why I have a 14 second truck???!:dontknow: :eek:

Nowwhat said:
Brad....so sorry bud......what happened?....Nos?....

2ndly...selling land for a turbo....don't know man...sleep on it....when you are done with a $25,000 turbo build your truck will still be worth mid 30's at best...

just some food for thought....in a couple years when you are bored with the truck you may want that land back....:dontknow:

I could never be bored with this truck. The land is something I own that I never get to use. The VTCOA lifesytle is something that I treasure more than the land. Seeing the truck sit for a year while I try to save up enough money will cost me more money in the long run due to lost business. Thanks for looking out.:rock:

14 passes!

Roy, may I address you by your first name?

I have a total of 8 passes in my "broke down" 10, and I have (2) 13.3's, (4) 13.2's, and (2) 13.1's. Maybe you and me should trade trucks........

AFTERALL, YOU WOULD BE ENDING UP WITH THE FASTR TRUCK!:D

flchub said:
when i spoke with stinker about doin a turbo setup similar to his he told me to expect to drop atleast 30k todo it right,u might wanna go the route of a sc for everyday driving

I'm not sure what my budget is right now but the cost to do it right the first time is what I'm researching now.

I am putting together a parts list. Hopefully other members can contribute their knowledge.

SrtBrad said:
I'm not sure what my budget is right now but the cost to do it right the first time is what I'm researching now.

I am putting together a parts list. Hopefully other members can contribute their knowledge.
pm stinker bout the setup and nowwhat bout the transmission

RAMviperIFFIC said:
Roy, may I address you by your first name?

First name would be an honor compared to what most around here call me!

Yup...getting old is hell...my skin is so fragile that if I go quicker than 14, my cheeks rip off, and my penis recedes so deep that I can't use a urinal for a week.

Prof said:
First name would be an honor compared to what most around here call me!

Yup...getting old is hell...my skin is so fragile that if I go quicker than 14, my cheeks rip off, and my penis recedes so deep that I can't use a urinal for a week.

OMG you are too funny dude

Proline in Woodstock Ga is who builds the engines for Underground, also who just rebuilt my mine. They do good work and Eric is very knowledgeable, they'll tell you what you need.

Joe

Scrambler1 said:
Proline in Woodstock Ga is who builds the engines for Underground, also who just rebuilt my mine. They do good work and Eric is very knowledgeable, they'll tell you what you need.

Joe

We live in Cali

Exotic engine would be a great choice and are relatively close...at least not on the other side of the country.

engine wise, billet mains, ( also means line boring the crank) oliver rods, pistons, about 8.1 compression, stryker heads( comes complete with jesel rockers), end cost around $10,000 or better to have a "quality" machine shope to do the machine work, then you will need someone with experience to put it together, and by experience I mean with viper motors.

I can put you in touch with UGR and they can get it done for you resonable, and honestly that is a much easier way to go, the ones they build are good for 15-1600rwhp.

You will need a fuel system, I opted for a single pump, just because I dont like th posibility of one or more pumps going out, but they do have a billet pump holder that holds 3 pumps in the stock tank.

then you will need plumbing, fuel rails and "flow" matched injectors, that is a must, and a fuel regulator.

also a boost controller.

Now once you have that done, you cna fab up your own turbo system or opt out and go for the pro turb deal, twins are about 12k I think and single 6k or in that area.

Now for 1000rwhp streetable you will need ceramic bearing 76mm for the twins and a 88mm for the single.

then you will need a fuel mangment system and the AEM is the easiest out there, a guy iin oregon has a harnes to make it pug and play, expect 4k for this.

then you gonna need a tranny, call Joe, or get in touch with the big eared polyester wearing karate kid:D

then call me for a rear axle:p

Dont forget about guages, at the least a air fuel guage, fuel pressure, and boost guage.

I wouldnt bother too much with a stroker, but there is a ton of them out there.

But dont DONT scrimp on the engine bro, oh and one more thing:D and this is the truth, expect a rebuild every 10-15k miles:D 1000hp beats the hell out of the mains,
like ya say ya gotta pay to play:p

for a daily driver you are better off with about 800hp and leave one setting for kill mode:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back