Rebuilding engine with Turbo in mind.

a spun bearing is far from a blown motor. it's just a minor annoyance. not a big deal!

Nowwhat said:
Brad....so sorry bud......what happened?....Nos?....

2ndly...selling land for a turbo....don't know man...sleep on it....when you are done with a $25,000 turbo build your truck will still be worth mid 30's at best...

just some food for thought....in a couple years when you are bored with the truck you may want that land back....:dontknow:

I'm gonna have to second this notion. Selling an appreciating asset or investment for an always depreciating one :dontknow:

--wes

SrtBrad said:
True True. Either way the engine has to come out and the crank has to be grinded. Have to replace at least 1 rod.

If you go inside the block, do it right...all new "forged" internals. That is of course if you still have the same aforementioned goals.

--wes

SrtBrad said:
If I had a place to do the work I'd be game.

I have a four car garage...come on over...just get here before the snow...

Roy

i recommend staying away from the sts's lots of problems there

wesman said:
I'm gonna have to second this notion. Selling an appreciating asset or investment for an always depreciating one :dontknow:

--wes

Actually the land has depreciated around 40% in the last year and is still on the way down. I've been thinking about selling before the profit margin hits the negatives.

After speaking with the Real Estate agent and looking at comps this is the result; 1 year ago the raw land was appraised at 40K now its at 25K. There are over 80 listings in the area and some are selling for under 20K and some at 25K for similar properties.

The properties that have closed escrow have sold at an average at 21K. I guess it's not a bad idea to sell 1 depreciating investment for another investment like the truck. At least I have fun with the truck and use it for work.

Who would of thought land could drop 40% in 1 year. Although the land will aventually appreciate in value, I'm just not willing to wait 20+ years. This rural community is truely against any change and will not accept any proposed zoning changes to allow for big business or even allow for a gas station to be permitted in the area. The residents are holding back the land value increase. This community is stuck in pre "Industrial Revolution" lifestyle.:banghead: :banghead:

SrtBrad said:
Actually the land has depreciated around 40% in the last year and is still on the way down. I've been thinking about selling before the profit margin hits the negatives.

After speaking with the Real Estate agent and looking at comps this is the result; 1 year ago the raw land was appraised at 40K now its at 25K. There are over 80 listings in the area and some are selling for under 20K and some at 25K for similar properties.

The properties that have closed escrow have sold at an average at 21K. I guess it's not a bad idea to sell 1 depreciating investment for another investment like the truck. At least I have fun with the truck and use it for work.

Who would of thought land could drop 40% in 1 year. Although the land will aventually appreciate in value, I'm just not willing to wait 20+ years. This rural community is truely against any change and will not accept any proposed zoning changes to allow for big business or even allow for a gas station to be permitted in the area. The residents are holding back the land value increase. This community is stuck in pre "Industrial Revolution" lifestyle.:banghead: :banghead:

Well hell, knowing that....get a turbo :rock: :rock:

It has not depreciated...those who have sold have seen depreciation...if you don't sell, you have not lost any resources...how about an equity loan...much of the interest can be written off...you have more debt service but you can have your cake and eat it too...and if the market swings back all you will have lost is the percent of the interest you could not write off!

wesman said:
Well hell, knowing that....get a turbo :rock: :rock:

There is just not enough money to get the turbo setup now. I will have to go the turbo route in stages now. I will start by getting the transmission billet rebuild and get all the right engine internals and fuel system to aventually accept the twin turbo setup. I'm shooting for a 8to1 compression ratio.

Prof said:
It has not depreciated...those who have sold have seen depreciation...if you don't sell, you have not lost any resources...how about an equity loan...much of the interest can be written off...you have more debt service but you can have your cake and eat it too...and if the market swings back all you will have lost is the percent of the interest you could not write off!

Since it's rural land you can't get an equity loan or at least thats what I was told by several companies.:banghead: :banghead:

SrtBrad said:
...I will start by getting the transmission billet rebuild and get all the right engine internals and fuel system to aventually accept the twin turbo setup. I'm shooting for a 8to1 compression ratio.

Nothing wrong with small steps...sounds like you understand the planning part...just do those things that do not cut off possible directions in the future.

SrtBrad said:
Since it's rural land you can't get an equity loan or at least thats what I was told by several companies.:banghead: :banghead:

Ohhh...did not know that...well...get the equity loan on the existing house and when you sell the property pay it off...don't ever let prudent fiscal responsibility get in the way of truck modifications!;) ;) ;)

I will be building the motor for 1000+ HP twin turbo application as a daily driver and will need to do it in several stages. I have a lot of questions that hopefully some of you gear heads can help me out with. I have been doing a lot of research and came up with these basic questions.

Stage 1:
Removal of engine and complete tear down. Block goes for a chemical bath. Crank gets grinded .020.

Question is if the crank gets grinded down will that affect RPM limits or power handling capacities of the engine due to oversized bearings? Is it better to just replace the crank? Also who has had any experience with removal of the cam bearings?

I will need help in selecting the proper pistons, rods, mains, cam, bearings, heads, pushrods, roller rockers, lifters, oil pump, injectors, fuel rails, fuel pump, gaskets, bolts, and timing chain for my end goal so each part works in concert with each other.

Do they make a gear drive for our trucks instead of the timing chain? If available has anyone gone to the solid lifters instead of hydrolics? I know the solids are a pain to keep up with but worth it for me.

Since this build is for turbo applications are headers out of the question? If so could I get an explanation as to the reasons for and against.

What about the heads. Does it make a big difference between Bone's ported heads or Strykers? If so why.

I know the compression ratio should be around 8 to 1. Why is this and how much boost can you make with twin turbo's. At maximum boost what are the cylinder pressures going to be?

What about the intake? Is there a better system to make the cyclinder distribution more even instead of the usual #3 and #5 starvation issues? I know the Gen2 design is supposed to work better and the new Viper has the twin TB design again.

Stage 2:

Tansmission rebuild to accept the power. What kind of rebuild do you guys recommend and who is the best company to take it too? What kind of stall speed should I be looking at? Also will the factory driveshaft and universal joints hold up to 1000+ HP? If not does anyone have any recommendations? What is the best shift kit to get for the track in mind? What are the best bands to get?

Stage 3:

Turbo installation and more questions to follow later.

Thanks for all your help on this subject.:rock:

"Buy land. They're not making it anymore." - Mark Twain.

TurboFreak said:
Why not a 700-900 N/A motor? My engine builder said it could be done.
Yep. I think there's an 1100 N/A Viper engine out there.
I'll send ya the link, Brad.

UGR knows Viper engines and turbo systems...and how to get them right.
SVS is pretty damn good too, though more known for their Viper car setups.

Gale Banks has more world speed records with turbocharged vehicles than NowWhat has lisping male fans. (Gale even holds the world record for "Fastest Motorhome". LOL)
While known for his V8 and diesel configurations and setups, the guys at Banks would be another good- and local to you- resource for turbo charging.

Sounds like a cool project, Brad. I wish I was in CA. I'd help ya out tearing down and building up. :D

Stinker- What did you do about the oil setup in your truck? Change anything there after adding the hairdryers?

Brad, please dont take this to the heart...But I really think building the truck to be a turbo monter is not great idea. To start, we already know the fastest trucks out there in numbers are either Paxton or Roe and in jmb's case Nos.
We all gotten that itch to just want max out our CC's and order all the stuff we see other guys have. Its natural to want to mod like crazy, but its unfortunate that some of us are not in the same position to do so. If the land is on decline and selling sounds like a good idea right now, well i cant argue with that. However since you have a crave for speed and you love racing at the track, I think purchasing a 2nd car is in order. This is the route i'm going. I could either spend 5k on truck and still only run 12sec, or invest that in my 70 Monte. So far i've gotten Nos, eaton locker, 454, turbo 400 and i have even broke $2k. Building up any 60's 70's to drag race has got to be the easiest thing to do. You can order everything off summit and can have all your machine work performed by a local reputable shop.
This is what i would do:
1)fix the truck --regrind crank, install oversized bearing, and reinstall---then put another 40k miles on er'.
2)purchase a 60's 70's chevy a-body(chevelle, monte Carlo, nova, Even a camaro) and even let the kids help out.. $2k tops for a non-running car...
3) set aside $10k , hell even less and you can easily have an 11 sec car or faster that the whole family can take part in...
4)once finished tow to track with truck---Proceed to beat the your track car/occasional street car...

I'll be posting a thread with pics of my monte soon...Wont be able to catch Nowwhat in the truck, But If he brings out the vette my MC will be all over him:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back