Rebuilding engine with Turbo in mind.

Scrambler1 said:
From what I remember 1Fast400 (I know I know) had some major problems with the truck twisting on launch because of the torque down low. Think it damaged the block. He ended up going to a Paxton.
Joe

Very good point. Does anyone have any info relating to what kind of torque and HP our engine blocks can handle safely? Also how much cylinder pressure the block can handle?

SrtBrad said:
Very good point. Does anyone have any info relating to what kind of torque and HP our engine blocks can handle safely? Also how much cylinder pressure the block can handle?

I'm not sure exactly how much hp the viper block can handle, but steel sleeves are going to be required.. BMW twin T 335 has an all aluminum block with steel sleeves to put up against the increased cylinder pressures. =$$$

another thought is a lot of the newer turbos spool up quicker not sure about the setup for these trucks but i have seen turbos for trucks that spool up around 1500rpms instead of the 3,000rpms range which makes it a lot more practical in this kind of application but that is where i am still researching myself :)

SrtBrad said:
After a crash course in Viper performance options I have a clear understanding of each option and how they relate to my application. The turbo option is in question and is now looking like the Roe supercharger.

Let me know if I am wrong on my info. The options are as follows:

1: Twin Turbo (Low end lag, developes power and boost from 3000 rpm and up) The best for road courses where you are consistantly in the 3000+ rpm range.

2: Paxton Novi 2000 Supercharger (Low end lag, developes power and boost as the rpm increases, max 12 pounds boost capacity) Best for Street/Track applications with a very linear power curve.

3: Roe Supercharger ( Biggest supercharger with immediate power and full boost at low rpm range and can develop 25lbs of boost) The best for the 1/4 mile track with instant power down low and thru the entire rpm range.

I want to build the engine for the track primarily and use the truck for every day driving as well. With my choices above if I have my info correct would have to be the Roe with 1 pulley for the track and 1 pulley for the street. The engine would be built for an 8 to 1 compression ratio with the best of the best parts internally.

At the track I would shoot for a 13 - 18 pound boost with the right internals to allow for such low end power and torque. If I am correct the Roe has an intercooler problem that could be addressed with NO2 at the track for the high boost or with methanol for the street tune which would be around 5-8 lbs boost.

Am I on the right track or are there other problems with the Roe that I should understand?

You cannot make 25lbs of boost with a Roe............

FSTJACK said:
You cannot make 25lbs of boost with a Roe............

Jack is correct...that blower is capable of making 25# (limits of the blower), but acually seeing it on the truck would be another story.

Prof said:
300 passes...that must be a record...I may have 15...maybe that is why I have a 14 second truck???!:dontknow: :eek:

Roy

We are racing on Sunday. are you still game? It is at Byron..

Now on to the motor. I am in the midest of rebuild now. I saw bearing wear on #5 when I got mine apart. Nothing serious just an observation.

My .02 on a turbo truck is that it is a great driver. Mine is set to only build boost after 3200 rpm for 2 reasons ( I think ). One, driving around town is no problem because it is not building big power. Second at 3200 rpm the motor is somewhat ready to recieve the extra kick. A turbo does build heat though, no real way around it, you can soften it with wraps and coatings though. I have had many supercharged cars, both stock and aftermarket. Very nice power without the heat, but the whisle of the charger may be a little hard to handle. Hard to be a sleeper when you hear weeeeeeee from under the hood.:D

hilge

Hilgee said:
Roy

We are racing on Sunday. are you still game? It is at Byron..

Would love to but will be in Denver doing the "Grand Paw" thing...my 5 yr old grand daugher has a soccor game she wants me to watch...that will be unique...where is the wicket, and who is the field goal kicker? Do soccor moms wear short skirts to the games? And do they wear underwear?

SrtBrad said:
After a crash course in Viper performance options I have a clear understanding of each option and how they relate to my application. The turbo option is in question and is now looking like the Roe supercharger.

Let me know if I am wrong on my info. The options are as follows:

1: Twin Turbo (Low end lag, developes power and boost from 3000 rpm and up) The best for road courses where you are consistantly in the 3000+ rpm range.

2: Paxton Novi 2000 Supercharger (Low end lag, developes power and boost as the rpm increases, max 12 pounds boost capacity) Best for Street/Track applications with a very linear power curve.

3: Roe Supercharger ( Biggest supercharger with immediate power and full boost at low rpm range and can develop 25lbs of boost) The best for the 1/4 mile track with instant power down low and thru the entire rpm range.

I want to build the engine for the track primarily and use the truck for every day driving as well. With my choices above if I have my info correct would have to be the Roe with 1 pulley for the track and 1 pulley for the street. The engine would be built for an 8 to 1 compression ratio with the best of the best parts internally.

At the track I would shoot for a 13 - 18 pound boost with the right internals to allow for such low end power and torque. If I am correct the Roe has an intercooler problem that could be addressed with NO2 at the track for the high boost or with methanol for the street tune which would be around 5-8 lbs boost.

Am I on the right track or are there other problems with the Roe that I should understand?

Brad....

pick a tuner....

tell him what you want.....

let him decide.....

he has to tune it and make it work....you want him to be comfortable with the combination....after all you will be in this build $40,000+....

built shortblock $12k
power adder $10k
trans and 'verter $8k
rear end $4k

nos..?....slicks..?.rims..?..guages...?....LABOR...?...etc....$$$$$$$$$

Somebody tell me what Nowwhat said...I have him on ignore, again!

Nowwhat said:
Brad....

pick a tuner....

tell him what you want.....

let him decide.....

he has to tune it and make it work....you want him to be comfortable with the combination....after all you will be in this build $40,000+....

built shortblock $12k
power adder $10k
trans and 'verter $8k
rear end $4k

nos..?....slicks..?.rims..?..guages...?....LABOR...?...etc....$$$$$$$$$

It costs money to play. More money than what I had expected but I have a "die hard", "brought up on racing" personality.

I've fallen off the bike, now it's time to get back on and go harder with a little more knowledge.

Although it will take some time, It's time for me to fully understand this truck mechanically and know the tricks of the trade because I will be keeping this monster for life.

If there is anywhere to go to learn about these trucks, I would have to say this forum is the place. I love it how our members share their knowledge and try to help each other in their time of need.:rock: :rock:

Scrambler1 said:
From what I remember 1Fast400 (I know I know) had some major problems with the truck twisting on launch because of the torque down low. Think it damaged the block. He ended up going to a Paxton.

This has been debated on here before but IMO the Paxton is the best setup for the track... at least from what I've seen so far. Maybe you can prove me wrong?

Joe
i thought his truck went b/c of the oil pump?

RedSrt007 said:
Jack is correct...that blower is capable of making 25# (limits of the blower), but acually seeing it on the truck would be another story.

The supercharger has a maximum of 18000 rpm. Based on this rpm and size of the supercharger combined with the displacement of our engines Roe says that the their supercharger is capable of making 19lbs of boost on paper. I'm not sure what formula they used but now I have a target range.

its fairly a simple question brad

on send you engine off to a reputable builder with knowledge of viper motors, install rods, pistons, mains, put on a set of ported and polished heads or strikers. and there is you engine , doing it yourself is suicide.

then you will need a fuel system , a set of $1200 flowed 75# injectors, a controller of engine management, a new pump set up , preferably 3 in tank, a set of fuel rails, lines, regulator.

then a boost guage, one to control the boost.

then tranny upgrades since its going to be a daily driver.

then rear axle upgrades.

a ton of guages to keep an eye on everything.

then someone to do the piping, sorting out what size intercooler you will need.as well as blow off valves, and wastegates.

might as well thro in a little tweeking of the intake while your at it.

then plan on going thru clutches like water with a daiily driver, because they are touchy as hell.

and buy stock in rod and main bearings, since a 1000hp motor will need rebuilding at the very least every 20,000 miles

1000hp put strains on the engine like you have never seen, its not a good idea for a daily driver.

Jack has over $50k invested in his engine with all the exotic and one off, and best there is components available , but even with that said, he knows it want last forever under daily driving conditions.;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back