Striker Cam

Jerry-

This cam is a little ranker than mine... Does that help? :D

Ronnie

Nope:mad: I'd like actual numbers and expected power gain with stock heads and striker heads....and is this the maximum cam acceptable for street use? It doesn't sound all that wild..in fact when mine (stock) is cold it sounds just as good. I have people ask if I have a cam, but its still just stock.

Last edited:
Nope:mad: I'd like actual numbers and expected power gain with stock heads and striker heads....and is this the maximum cam acceptable for street use? It doesn't sound all that wild..in fact when mine (stock) is cold it sounds just as good. I have people ask if I have a cam, but its still just stock.

Jerry-

Like I've said MANY times, the o.e.m. heads and cam are closely matched and power gains from JUST a cam swap are not very high, considering the amount of work JUST to change a cam in one of these trucks.

The way the cam sounds in Burt's truck at our altitude is considerably different than the way it would sound where you are (close to sea-level).
Burt's cam would sound WICKED at sea-level !

But even though you said your cam sounds, quote: "just as good", I think you are after more power and not just sound...correct?

As far as expected power gains, Burt's truck had cam timing issues so the response with the new Striker cam was considerable, as the original problem is now sorted out. So, the power increases with his truck won't fairly represent typical gains that could be expected in an average truck that is starting off with a properly timed (stock) camshaft.

As you seem to be leaning far more towards a drag-only vehicle compared to Burt's 5350 pound truck (2006), you could have a more radical cam installed BUT there will be a point of diminishing returns with the stock heads.
And if you cross the magic threshold with too radical a cam your engine will have so little vacuum it will shake, stink, wash-down cylinder walls with fuel, trip codes and just be generally bitchy to deal with.

There is a considerable amount of R&D designing cams in the first place and some trial and error getting any combination just right. As it does take time and money, most people won't jump up and publish their cam numbers for those reasons, me included.

Based on your vehicle weight, your engine is making 85+ horsepower more than a stock Viper car or truck with a MANUAL transmission. Your Mods: 35+ with longtubes and a custom catless exhaust, 25 with the Intake Manifold mods (including a throttle body), 8-10 for an under-drive pulley and ??? for a properly deigned air intake system. So, your engine is right where it should be, and is stout.

Breathing is the key to power; so if you go with better heads and cam, the engine is going to make more power.

Further to the topic of expected power gains: Have a look at the "vimeo" section of my signature as that goes through the power progression on my particular vehicle, step by step.

The interest in the Naturally Aspirated Striker engine builds coming our way has been phenomenal !

As we discussed quite a while ago, I would be happy to help you with a custom grind cam for your truck that will work well, as you are most often racing on sea-level (or below) tracks, with a lower weight truck.

Hope this helps

Ronnie

Last edited:

Trainman I almost have mine together, and it will be available in a complete kit, I will post the dyno numbers and all the info you will need sir, from base up, the block is at the builders now, an will soon be back rolling again

dont tell me to bring a hammer lol im lucky i got 05 :) .
yap im going to see Ron , and one my friend in hospital .
Ill see how everything goes i may stay 2 days ...
all this is if it doesnt snow a lots ...i dont maind some but my srt-4 is B to drive in snow lol

dont tell me to bring a hammer lol im lucky i got 05 :) .
yap im going to see Ron , and one my friend in hospital .
Ill see how everything goes i may stay 2 days ...
all this is if it doesnt snow a lots ...i dont maind some but my srt-4 is B to drive in snow lol

Have Ron call me. If I'm back in town, we could all go for coffee at timmy's.

Bring a big hammer!! It's an 06 thing!!:D:D

Are you coming down to see Ron?

Yeah I know trying to get my mids in my catback last year the to hook up to the headers took at big rubber hammer and a couple of 2x4s.

I should be home Wednesday night, unless I am sent back early to do more HAZOP's.

Thanks Ronnie.....when I can afford it we will be talking! Right now I'm working on a little change I hope to complete in the next few months which should improve my torque ( I think you know what I'm up too.)

Last edited:
Thanks Ronnie.....when I can afford it we will be talking! Right now I'm working on a little change I hope to complete in the next few months which should improve my torque ( I think you know what I'm up too.)

;) Yes, it should work well...

I had the truck out for a drive today. My first WOT since the cam and other goodies were installed. It's got some jam now!!:rock::rock::rock:

Within ten minutes I had the Calgary cops chasing me down Stoney Trail.

I was doing what I do best....showing off!! I did a huge burn-out and when the smoke cleared I had a Crown Vic up my hoo-hoo. He stayed an inch from my bumper for a bit, I pulled off to the shoulder and he kept going! Oh yeah!!
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

I also had some guy at the gas station tell me that was the best looking Chev truck he had ever seen.:marchmellow::marchmellow::marchmellow:

I had the truck out for a drive today. My first WOT since the cam and other goodies were installed. It's got some jam now!!:rock::rock::rock:

Within ten minutes I had the Calgary cops chasing me down Stoney Trail.

I was doing what I do best....showing off!! I did a huge burn-out and when the smoke cleared I had a Crown Vic up my hoo-hoo. He stayed an inch from my bumper for a bit, I pulled off to the shoulder and he kept going! Oh yeah!!
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

I also had some guy at the gas station tell me that was the best looking Chev truck he had ever seen.:marchmellow::marchmellow::marchmellow:

Haha chev truck haha what else did you do to it :dontknow::dontknow: whats it do on the dyno now :dontknow::dontknow:

Haha chev truck haha what else did you do to it :dontknow::dontknow: whats it do on the dyno now :dontknow::dontknow:

We haven't got it to the dyno yet. It might be close to yours!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back