The Go Fast Plan

The SC has shipped. I should have it in hand on Monday, and it is scheduled for installation starting Tuesday. :)

tinygiants said:
I am holding off on them, till I prove I need them.

I guess I would really like to get the new axle instead.

Dale, I'm thinking you're going to find the need for a tranny upgrade before much else in the way of mods. No need to wait to prove you need Caltracs. You will need them. The new axle will also be cool, but without the tranny upgrade you're not going to want to launch that truck hard or often, especially if it's your daily driver.

Hey Dale...

while the truck is down for the SC install....beef up the trans....you are going to be bummed when you get your truck back after weeks of install time only to have to take it back for a slippin tranny.....Yes the trans will hold for a while...but I lost mine while drivin down the freeway....:(

Nowwhat said:
Hey Dale...

while the truck is down for the SC install....beef up the trans....you are going to be bummed when you get your truck back after weeks of install time only to have to take it back for a slippin tranny.....Yes the trans will hold for a while...but I lost mine while drivin down the freeway....:(

Concur 100%.

tinygiants said:
The SC has shipped. I should have it in hand on Monday, and it is scheduled for installation starting Tuesday. :)

what was the wait time on the Roe.. aka when you ordered it till it was at
your door(bed of your truck) :D ;) :rock:

Sharpi

Eric, Mike, Prof,
I respect your input. The trans is next on the list. Mike, my truck will be sown for 2 days. There is not enough time to get it done this week. I will just have to drive with sanity till I get er done.

Sharpi,
I got on the list back in November. I was called a few weeks ago and told it was my turn and they were assembling them. I placed a deposit then. I called back about 2 weeks ago and said I was a go and offered to pay. They billed me on Wednesday when they shipped. I got it on Friday. Shipping was $249.00. As a side note, YOU must sign. I left a note on my door for it to be delivered to my neighbor, but ROE requires it be signed for by the buyer.

How do you guys hold back the inner manifold to midpipe bolt? I can not get to it with anything. I removed the wheel and inner liner. That made the outer 2 easy, but that last one is a tuff one.

I used a small pair of vise grips to hold the nut in place and a hand ratchet with a universal joint to reach the bolt head from the midpipe side. I did'nt have to remove my liners to get the mids off. Auto maybe different due to the size of the tranny and access due to size.

Cablefed said:
Auto maybe different due to the size of the tranny and access due to size.

It shouldn't. I did both my headers and mids, (bellanger headers/mids) and didn't take any wheels off or inner fenders.

I did have 2 people, my brother was underneath and i was basically in the engine bay, that was the only way we could get at some of the header bolts, and then the mids we did the same thing, used a set of vice grips and a ratchet to tighten the mids, it makes a few marks on the mids, but honestly who cares when it's under there. :rock:

tinygiants said:
How do you guys hold back the inner manifold to midpipe bolt? I can not get to it with anything. I removed the wheel and inner liner. That made the outer 2 easy, but that last one is a tuff one.

I could not get my cutting wheel on it, so I ground the head of the bolt off.

I need to go get a clamp, and work on a joint or two, then it is done.

Side note, I noticed 2 hoses in the front right that are leaking some sort of oil. Are these the hoses that Prof and MarcT both had leak? I hope the dealer plays nice. We will see on Monday.

Mid Pipe and Cat Back Review:

Justins Mid pipes are nice. They came with a bung for the Air:Fuel gauge sensor. I decided on the silver powder coat. One note, the passenger side front O2 sensor is very tight. There is no room for play. If you do not get the mid pipe situated just right, it will not fit the cable length. The mid will fit the cat back and not the O2 if it is twisted the wrong way by a few degrees. I had to loosen all the bolts and twist it towards the sensor in order to get it installed. Then it fit like a glove.

I am not sure where my extra length came from. When I installed the mids, extensions, and the cat back it was to long. The cat back was not reaching the hangers (it is an 05 truck - it should fit). I checked and all of my slip on fittings were bottomed out. So I trimmed the cat back. I believe that is where the extra length was introduced. It was previously installed as a true 3" system, so the reducer was removed and pipe added. After the trim it fit nicely. The tip protrusion is perfect.

The sound: Oh My Goodness. It has a nice rumble at idle. There is a very noticiable drone at a certain point in the RPM band. It is overbearing. I may seek to add a resonator like Prof (Roy) did.

Performance: Honestly, I can not feel a power difference. It is wet today, so the road will not allow for a power testing acceleration. That will have to wait. Hopefully I can try it tomorrow, otherwise I will never know the difference due to the SC going on this Tuesday.

Questions: For those with the JMB mids, did you have a smell after the install? Is it the powder coat baking in? I did add a small dab of anti sieze to the O2 sensors threads. I know it will smell as it burns in.

tinygiants said:
Mid Pipe and Cat Back Review:

The sound: Oh My Goodness. It has a nice rumble at idle. There is a very noticiable drone at a certain point in the RPM band. It is overbearing. I may seek to add a resonator like Prof (Roy) did.

I had a resonance between about 2300 and 3300 I think...it was a little annoying. The addition of the resonators in front of the muffler eliminated the problem. Next I will replace the resonators with high flow cats and see the difference...I love it now, but will have to face emissions inspection in the future and this seems to be the most rationale approach...one more reason I miss Florida.

tinygiants said:
I could not get my cutting wheel on it, so I ground the head of the bolt off.

I need to go get a clamp, and work on a joint or two, then it is done.

Side note, I noticed 2 hoses in the front right that are leaking some sort of oil. Are these the hoses that Prof and MarcT both had leak? I hope the dealer plays nice. We will see on Monday.

Yup. Those are the oil cooler lines. I replaced mine last time you were over.

Congrats on the exhaust work!

Well, it turns out that it was my power steering return line that was leaking. The dealer is covering it under warranty. No mention was made of my catless mids and cat back. The new hose will be here by the weekend. So I will have to schedule a day to get it fixed.

The truck is at MAX RPM Motorsports to get the SC installed. I should get it back on Wednesday or Thursday.

I am excited.

Marc T had the same problem...I lost all of my power steering fluid but the Viper tech said that the fitting had just vibrated loose. He tightened it and all seems to be fine now.

Dale, I used the opportunity to get under the truck and clean the undercarriage. The power steering fluid is Mobil 1 ATF and makes for a good solvent that cleans the dirt and grim off the frame and underside of the engine. Now I don't recommend it as a cleaning solvent, but if it is already there with a little wiping it turns the painted places back to black again!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back