The Official "Overhaulin' Dale (tinygiants)" Thread

tinygiants said:
I just got home with my daughter. WE RODE IN THE TRUCK! She was my first date.

So far everything is going great with driving. I even had a semi dry spot to drive on. Well maybe not dry, but there was no standing water and the rain stopped for a few minutes. So on that section of road I was able to drive it almost normal. The rest of the time those giant tires are like skates in the wet roads.
Congrats my brother you deserve it,give that young lady a hug from the rest of us.:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Still working on odds and ends with the truck....
We got the new seals installed in the axles as well as new upgraded sealed bearings. The job was way to easy :)

Another issue I have been facing is HEAT. The truck would heat up way to high when sitting in traffic or idling. I did the mod for the fan speed, and it worked. But I was not convinced that was the real problem considering the power steering kept bogging down. So I had the power steering pump checked and it is indeed bad. The replacement parts are on the way. I should get the truck back this weekend.

I was planning on digging this thread up over the weekend to find out what was happening.

Thanks for the update Dale, and Merry Christmas.

Dale, did you just replace the bearings? If so did you check the Strange housing to see if it was out of round?

FoutsRearAxleBearing017.jpg

tinygiants said:
Still working on odds and ends with the truck....
We got the new seals installed in the axles as well as new upgraded sealed bearings. The job was way to easy :)

Another issue I have been facing is HEAT. The truck would heat up way to high when sitting in traffic or idling. I did the mod for the fan speed, and it worked. But I was not convinced that was the real problem considering the power steering kept bogging down. So I had the power steering pump checked and it is indeed bad. The replacement parts are on the way. I should get the truck back this weekend.

Glad to hear you're making progress on those last bugs!;)

Prof said:
Dale, did you just replace the bearings? If so did you check the Strange housing to see if it was out of round?

FoutsRearAxleBearing017.jpg
Roy,
I replaced the bearings, the sleeve, and added a seal that was not originaly there. I did not check for out of round, as I do not have access to tools of that accuracy. I can tell you that it was ok as measured by calipers. But that really is not an accurate check.

Who knew it would take 9 days to fix a power steering pump? That is what it took my local stealership. But....

The beast is home, and that was the source of my problem. Now I can get back to work on the odds and ends.

Change the Oil in another 100 miles
Tune the suspension
New switch for the Fan Mod
New Switch Covers
Exhaust Side Dump and X Pipe
Tune the Engine
New Radio
And whatever goodies I get from Tony and Justin.

Got the first oil change done.
I went to the exhaust shop and got a commitment to hit the holes that I cut for the side exit. Tony is sending the X pipe now. So I plan to get the plate designed and fabricated in the next couple weeks then the exhaust will be complete (rear bumper will have to wait till next year).
The next thing is the new pulleys, then the tune.

The exhaust side dump and x pipe will be done tomorrow. I got the plate and holes done tonight.

Pics will have to wait till the weekend when we have some nice weather.

Still waiting on the delivery of that new pulley.

You are deep into the fun stuff now Dale...took a few side steps in getting here, but all's well that ends well!

It turned out nice. I am getting very excited. Pics will follow after I wash it.

I guess i suck at getting pics of the exhaust :(

This weekend I clearanced the inner sheet metal a bit in order to remove some of the vibration I was getting from the exhaust. I also tuned the suspension a bit.

Today I arranged for dyno tuning to be done in Tacoma at Turbo Technologies Inc. Sean Roe is going to provide the tunes whith the local guys doing the actual execution. It will be next Friday.

I am quite excited.

Thanks Jack.

I just tried a new pulley combination, but it hit 14 lbs of boost :(. When I tried the next pulley, I got belt slip. So I am adding another idler pulley tomorrow.

I also managed to get a Vista PC to mount the VEC III and data log :)

So here is what is going right:

Sean is confident that I do not need to use the major data logging system that George is using. I was fearful that the mods done to my intake baffles would make it a necessity. Sean looked at them and he disagrees.

Sean also confirms that with my fuel system and the 48 lb/hr injectors, I should have enough system to support the HP we are hoping to see. I originally thought I was going to add N20, but I am not doing that for now.

So there are 2 major strokes of luck to help keep cost down and Momma on the side of the truck.

Dale I have basically the same set up that you have...my fuel system is right on the edge of being inadequate. I have the 10 lb pulley but due to head work done (some clean up and port matching) I am only at about 8 lbs of boost. When we dyno'ed it with Sean here, we were pretty much maxed out with the fuel system...be careful...I think you may be close too.

Prof said:
Dale I have basically the same set up that you have...my fuel system is right on the edge of being inadequate. I have the 10 lb pulley but due to head work done (some clean up and port matching) I am only at about 8 lbs of boost. When we dyno'ed it with Sean here, we were pretty much maxed out with the fuel system...be careful...I think you may be close too.
Roy,
Are you using the stock fuel system with the ROE injectors? Sean feels that I am at the limit of the injectors, but by increasing fuel pressure (I have the JMB in tank dual pump assembly and a regulator) I can still hit into the 700 hp range at the wheels.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back