The Official "Overhaulin' Dale (tinygiants)" Thread

Thank You for the nice words. It has been a very long journey.

So todays excitement started when I could not get the computer to log in to the VEC system. We soon got that figured out. Then Sean identified that my log was not actually logging the AEM. Then we identified I was having belt slip issues. But we kept at it. We fixed the VEC log into issue. WE used the Dyno to log the AFR. And we just lived with the belt slip as it was fairly minor (only a pound or two).
The guys at Turbo Technologies did a great job with the dyno facilities. The engine built by JZB performed flawlessly.
Sean wants me to get the logging fixed as well as address the belt slip. Then I can log some more run time. A few little tweaks, and maybe we can get that safe tune over the 700 mark.

And all of it was a result of the generosity of many.

Thank You to all.

blackviper said:
Dale, what was the maximum boost you saw?
12.24 was the max boost on any single run. The normal max boost was in the high 11 range. However that quickly fell off a pound or so down to high 9 low 10 as the RPM's climbed. I have a little testing to do with my idlers. If the 100mm fits the top spot, I will order another one. I already have 100mm on the bottom.

Does anyone know if there is a larger idler than 100mm?

Thanks.

DevilDawg3097 said:
You may have to add a pulley like Jorge did. Great numbers bro:rock:
I did add an extra pulley. George also added a spacer on one of the accessories. I may have to dig in and try that.

tinygiants said:
12.24 was the max boost on any single run. The normal max boost was in the high 11 range. However that quickly fell off a pound or so down to high 9 low 10 as the RPM's climbed.

You might not be so quick to assume that you're having belt slippage, you know. As RPMs climb, that compressor has to produce an ever increasing volume of air. A drop in pressure could well be indicative of hitting the ceiling on the Roe.

My first encounter on the dyno with the Paxton had almost everyone convinced that I was seeing belt slippage too. Obviously it turned out to be that I had run out of compressor.

Before you spend the time and money to address possible belt slippage, it might be worthwhile to consider that you've max'd out your blower.;)

Ram From Hell said:
You might not be so quick to assume that you're having belt slippage, you know. As RPMs climb, that compressor has to produce an ever increasing volume of air. A drop in pressure could well be indicative of hitting the ceiling on the Roe.

My first encounter on the dyno with the Paxton had almost everyone convinced that I was seeing belt slippage too. Obviously it turned out to be that I had run out of compressor.

Before you spend the time and money to address possible belt slippage, it might be worthwhile to consider that you've max'd out your blower.;)

Eric,
These are very good points, and I welcome your experience. I do have some anecdotal evidence pointing to slippage. I have some black dust on the support. We saw varying degrees of boost drop depending on how much we had run it. There was less drop after a few runs than was on a completely cold run. The last thing is a noticeable slackness in the belt in its current configuration.

My first plan of attack is to change the upper pulley to a 100 mm unit.

I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the input.
Dale

The slippage I saw was it smoking the huge back tires on the dyno when you were near full boost, damn what a beast!!:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I have to 100 mm idlers and I also made 3/4 inch spacers for the A/C compressor. I'm using 97.5 inch belt but my intake is 3/4 of an inch taller. Lastly, I'm running Stinker's 7 inch crank pulley and changed the tensioner pulley to the one that comes with the Paxton kit.

I'm thinking about adding another manually adjustable pulley on the driver's side. This is the side that has a lot of belt deflection due the long, unsupported stretch of belt.

how come the numbers are un corrected.....very good pulls none the less CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! But corrected numbers put everyone on the same level that way you have comparisons!!!

505'sFastestViper. said:
how come the numbers are un corrected.....very good pulls none the less CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! But corrected numbers put everyone on the same level that way you have comparisons!!!
The numbers were uncorrected, because I did not know how to use the software when I was going through the files.

Here is the STD conversion:
std.jpg

No, I know it is not the biggest HP. That honor belongs to others. But it makes me smile.

tinygiants said:
Eric,
These are very good points, and I welcome your experience. I do have some anecdotal evidence pointing to slippage. I have some black dust on the support. We saw varying degrees of boost drop depending on how much we had run it. There was less drop after a few runs than was on a completely cold run. The last thing is a noticeable slackness in the belt in its current configuration.

My first plan of attack is to change the upper pulley to a 100 mm unit.

I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the input.
Dale

I too had belt dust and my belt loosened, even with the cog belt drive. These things will always happen whether you have belt slip or not.

When you say that you had less drop after a few runs, you don't mention if you're hitting the same peak boost. Also, it would be helpful to know how much of a difference in boost you're getting between the first and last runs.

What kind of results are other high performance build Roe users getting?

Fix the slip (your losing 2+ #'s past 5k rpm) and you've got consistent 700+ whp no problem. Congrats!!!

Last edited:
HV SRT said:
Great numbers Dale. What compression are you at?
We are at 9.0 : 1.

I just had an electrical issue resolved, I was getting random lampout on the rear of the truck. And I just picked up new idler pulleys so I can try to stop the belt slip. So with a little luck, I will get it all dialed in and the run files to Sean this weekend.

The SC pulley is 2 27/32" dia. It is the largest of the set I got from Kyle. I am using the Stinker 7" crank as well.

My heads were originally ported by PBJ. They also had 2.02 and 1.60 valves added at the time. During the second rebuild, JM Cylinder Heads checked over and verified the heads.

What cam do you have and what did you end up doing to your baffles? I'm at 8.6 to 1 compression and have Joe's cam.

This maybe a stupid question but is the difference between corrected and uncorrected dyno numbers? I dyno'd on a Mustang dyno not a Dynojet machine. My tuner did not say anything about correct or uncorrected numbers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back