Tonneau Covers

It is the traditional and the optional x-2000 series that will work on our trucks. Would be nice to get them as a sponsored vendor here

Ok, but the one you are looking at for that price, is the traditional? I never could get a solid price on the X-2000, that's why I'm asking.

I purchased a Rollbak canister style cover. I like it. It fits flush with the top of the bed. I was able to keep the wing by using spacers and lifting it up at all four secure points. I used nylon oil pan plug washers to raise it approximately 3/16". It is seemless and you cannot tell that the spacers are there.

The canister is located behind the cab and allows the aluminum slats to roll up with one-foot incremental stops. When open, you have almost the whole bed to carry something. The cannister is only about 10" deep, so there is room underneath it in case you are hauling drywall, paneling, etc.

I carry my dog in the back of the truck regularly, and it is a snap to open it, slide it back, it has a spring rollup device like a blind, and put her in the back. The release handle requires the tailgate to be dropped, so with a tailgate lock, it provides secure storage.

It is not, I repeat not, totally waterproof, but sufficient for most purposes. I like the capability it gives me more than ensuring a watertight bed. The cannister has built in drain hoses that drop out the bottom of the bed.

I found it on the internet at an aftermarket truck accessories site for $850 plus shipping. I then went to the vendor that did the Rhino Lining on the bed, and got him to sell it to me for $900 installed.

If you go to the Rollbak website you can review it. Installation is really very easy on any pickup but a Dodge Ram. Oh yeah, that's what we have! I wasn't aware of how bowed both the bed head panel and the side rails are, but they are not perfectly straight. This just calls for the judicious use of shims, and takes some back and forth adjustment to get both sides right so that it slides back and forth without popping out of the track.

The cover is flat black and looks great on my Flame Red truck!

Good Luck! You have many choices out there.

Jim

Jim- Can you post pics of it on your truck?

-Any drilling necessary?
-Can the "1/2 inch handle/spoiler" at the end of the cover be removed?

The locking system on the RollBak is the only thing preventing me from ordering one today. It's absolutely archaic.

Here is a pic of mine finally. Pace-Edwards. You do have to notch the rails to fit around the wing. Just take your time doing it and you will be fine.

Attachments

• 093006.8.jpg
    093006.8.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 614
To each his own here. For my needs I went with the Checkerpro soft one. Bolts on with no drilling. Shimmed the wing up with some black washers and your done. I didnt want a hard shiney black one(more waxing:( ), flat black, covers the bed, looks clean, mostly waterproof, only tiny leaks(good for my needs) and only $169 !!!!! Thats more money left for speed parts!!

http://checkerpro.com/softtonneaus.html

patrick

Must be nice to live in a climate where it never goes below 65F. :D

Looks nice though, Patrick. And the price is right. :)

For those still shopping (like me), here are some specs for our trucks:

2005 Dodge Ram SRT-10 Reg. Cab
  • Bulkhead: 65-5/8"
  • Rails: 73-7/8"
  • Tailgate Width: 62-1/8"
  • ------------------------------
  • Bed Depth at Bulkhead: 19-5/8" (to top of rail)
  • Bed Depth at Tailgate: 20-3/8" (to top of rail)
As you can see from the numbers, our beds are a slight trapezoid.
It'd be great if a QC owner could check their numbers. I'm pretty sure they're the same, but it'd be nice to have confirmation. I'd be cool to hear from a couple of 2006 guys as well. :)

I'll compile a list tonight of all the 'rolling' tonneau covers, with links to the manuf. sites. I'll get MSRP when I can, then you can hunt down the good deals on specific ones.

Question: Why do so many manufactuers say "No drilling!" but show plenty of that in their installation manuals?

I've said this so many times I'm sure some are sick of me saying it......

Pace Edwards Bedlocker......... remote open/close...rolls under the existing wing....

I paid about $1200 two and a half years ago.........

Consult website www.paceedwards.com .... for a dealer.

SD

Silent D said:
I've said this so many times I'm sure some are sick of me saying it......

Pace Edwards Bedlocker......... remote open/close...rolls under the existing wing....

I paid about $1200 two and a half years ago.........

Consult website www.paceedwards.com .... for a dealer.

SD

It's not water tite, is it?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back