Trainman's Ultimate NA Build

Rolling resistance/sidewall is the main thing, gear ratio change doesn't help either. No different than going to the track with drag tires and running less mph than on street tires (my truck was 3mph slower on drag tires). Lower numerical gear ratio (or taller tires of same compound) will always make more power on a dynojet chassis dyno. Haven't tried my mustang dyno yet to see the difference (if any).
That makes sense, thanks.

Like I tell folks often, that dyno number is one thing, but trap speed is where it's at. If you're not into the track then by all means love dyno numbers. I think, as in Justin/Doms builds, we're all just excited to see it get badass timeslips. NA! That'll be badass enough. Screw the dyno numbers. Get that thing on the 10 Fastest List NA:burnout:

You guys talk about custom upgrades and mods like it's just about trial and error and tweaking it until you get it right. But, I'm just happy to own one of these trucks. :rofl:

Like I tell folks often, that dyno number is one thing, but trap speed is where it's at. If you're not into the track then by all means love dyno numbers. I think, as in Justin/Doms builds, we're all just excited to see it get badass timeslips. NA! That'll be badass enough. Screw the dyno numbers. Get that thing on the 10 Fastest List NA:burnout:

I will go to the track. I think all of you know that by now. I am certainly aiming to be well into the top 10 list as the only NA truck on the list. I am aiming to take over the #3 spot, so I have to beat a 10.73 @ 125. Just as an update, I spoke with Chris Jensen today and he wants to do the final 91 tune and the 109 race tune on a DynoPak, not the Dynojet so the final numbers are going to be quite a bit higher. Probably in a week or two, Chris is real busy at his regular job.

Awesome numbers, especially the average torque. It will lose dramatically with the Cheater slicks from my experience, just FYI. Doms was almost 200whp down with m+h 390s over the 22's on the old setup.

ON my truck this is not true. Once I dynoed here in Bakersfield(with the stock engine) to get a baseline and this particular dyno was very optimistc. The shop was going to try and adjust the tune with my SCT controller. The baseline tune with 100 octane and the street tires was around 525 rwhp. A week later Chris Jensen came up and on the same dyno but with the 30" cheaters(with 25 lbs air) and 16" Bogarts (43 lbs vs 90 lbs for the street wheels) the truck made right at 560 rwhp on 109 octane.....I know that was shocking, and like I said the dyno was optimistc. But it did gain some horsepower spinning less weight.

I just looked at the dyno chart and I will revise the torque shown. At 2,500 it is making 500 lb-ft and never drops below 500 all the way to 7,000 rpm. It makes over 550 from 2,900-6,500. And it makes over 600 from 4,300-5,900 rpm. It makes 640 from 4,800 to 5,200 with peak torque of 642 @ 5,000. I sent a chart to Brad and I hope he will post it soon. Got the truck home today at 4:30 pm.....finally!

Last edited:
IMG_9231_zps1tyqnimv.jpg

Thanks Brad, but I sent you an Email with a better chart than the one from my phone. Check your Email. Thanks!

Look at that mean increasing flow of raw power. I'm so jealous. :burnout:

Hey Jerry;
It has been a couple months or so... how is the project coming along?
Hope all is well.

Cheers
I had a few issues with the power steering fittings and had to get them fixed 4 times. A week ago the passenger side of the engine started smoking upon start up, possible valve seal, but it seems to have stopped. Still waiting to get the truck to Chris Jensen for the race tune, and need to set the rockers to the proper clearance (solid roller, .018 intake, .020 exhaust) before the first test and tune. Hopefully soon. I have been really bust with a couple of other projects since the end of November: 1. bought a new house (unbelievable deal, 13 acres, 4,250 sq. ft., 4 car garage) , our first move in 41 years, I had a shit load of trains and stuff to move., 2. still waiting on the 416 cu. in. engine for the CTS V to be finished, any day now, 3. Finishing up the 2000 Firehawk (434 inch LS1, Harrop Hurricane intake, 6-speed) for drag race and Friday night cruising. And my most important venture ....4. I purchased a live steam engine, 3/4" scale, New York Central Hudson 4-6-4 engine (my special interest in Trains. I have 13 of them in #1 gauge, and 114 of them in "O" gauge, all different) among my 2,000 plus item train collection, thus I am the "Trainman". I have been after this engine for over 10 years and the gentleman finally agreed to sell. I will probably have Brad post some pictures in the future. It is the Finest (best) single model of a NYC Hudson in any scale I have ever seen in 50+ years of collecting.

I have not forgotten my VTCOA brothers, but our new house is up in the mountains about 30 miles east of Bakersfield and we are still waiting to get the internet at the new house, that's why I have not posted much in the last few months. So a lot on my table for this 69 year old, but I feel good, pitching batting practice 3 times a week (fastpitch) to the North high girls
varsity, playing racketball also 3 times a week, and I've lost 25 lbs in the last 2 months, so that's always good, down from 226 to 201.

I'll be running the truck soon, shooting for that #3 spot on the list, hopefully mid 10's!!!!

Good to know you are well sir. And congratulations on your new acquisitions.

Thanks for sharing Jerry! Your ambitions are commendable and look exciting!

Interestingly, I too am a train enthusiast. What a cool addition to your collection:rock:

We as a family frequently visit this train park...

Home

Cheers

sounds good Jerry:rock::rock::rock:

on the train note, ya'll been checkin out the Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 restoration????

Glad to hear that you're still running around. Got me by 18 years and 100 times the energy. Hope I'm still moving when I get to your age.

Hope you can come to MATS the end of Mar or spring fling the end of April

I had a few issues with the power steering fittings and had to get them fixed 4 times. A week ago the passenger side of the engine started smoking upon start up, possible valve seal, but it seems to have stopped. Still waiting to get the truck to Chris Jensen for the race tune, and need to set the rockers to the proper clearance (solid roller, .018 intake, .020 exhaust) before the first test and tune. Hopefully soon. I have been really bust with a couple of other projects since the end of November: 1. bought a new house (unbelievable deal, 13 acres, 4,250 sq. ft., 4 car garage) , our first move in 41 years, I had a shit load of trains and stuff to move., 2. still waiting on the 416 cu. in. engine for the CTS V to be finished, any day now, 3. Finishing up the 2000 Firehawk (434 inch LS1, Harrop Hurricane intake, 6-speed) for drag race and Friday night cruising. And my most important venture ....4. I purchased a live steam engine, 3/4" scale, New York Central Hudson 4-6-4 engine (my special interest in Trains. I have 13 of them in #1 gauge, and 114 of them in "O" gauge, all different) among my 2,000 plus item train collection, thus I am the "Trainman". I have been after this engine for over 10 years and the gentleman finally agreed to sell. I will probably have Brad post some pictures in the future. It is the Finest (best) single model of a NYC Hudson in any scale I have ever seen in 50+ years of collecting.

I have not forgotten my VTCOA brothers, but our new house is up in the mountains about 30 miles east of Bakersfield and we are still waiting to get the internet at the new house, that's why I have not posted much in the last few months. So a lot on my table for this 69 year old, but I feel good, pitching batting practice 3 times a week (fastpitch) to the North high girls
varsity, playing racketball also 3 times a week, and I've lost 25 lbs in the last 2 months, so that's always good, down from 226 to 201.

I'll be running the truck soon, shooting for that #3 spot on the list, hopefully mid 10's!!!!

20140725_115922_zpsphe2021j.jpg

20160201_104303_zpst2onvexz.jpg

2015120795153330_zps82tax5op.jpg

20160225_085457_zpsltedgr4p.jpg

Trainmans NA build

Jerry,
You mentioned some issues post-build. I'm curious if there's anything that was an issue with what was done at A/C or if you feel this all just comes with the territory? I've heard mixed reviews over the years.

I was possibly going to take mine out there for a few things, but I'm also considering taking it to Dan Cragin's shop. Your thoughts post process would be of high value.

Overall, I've loved your posts over the years and highly appreciate everything you've done to contribute to the forum and my own personal learning. Congrats either way on an impressive rig. :congrats:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back