Tropical Fish hobby

Black1 said:
Thanks for this thread Mikey... I haven't thought about having fish for over 2 years.... Now, your going to make me spend money on something other than my truck, or cigars. :eek: :D
:D ..............:D Got any ideas Jakeroni :dontknow:

geez was thinking to myself holy shxt mikey does have a serious side. would like to pick your brain on fresh water combinations. thinking about starting another one myself. but like the other tank i want fish that no one else has. not the everyday common fish. lots of colors and lots of excitement. would prefer herbivors but if they are cool carnivores are fine.

TheSickness said:
:D ..............:D Got any ideas Jakeroni :dontknow:

Well.... If I was going to start a tank, I would go Salt Water. :dontknow: That's all I know, so far. :confused: I couldn't begin to tell you what kind of fish to buy. All I've had is Betas. :eek: :p

yeah but im bored with my salt water. its just gotten boring. tell you what when you come to mi come look at it i will sell it to you for 1500.00 and i have that much just in the coral.

mcrodney said:
geez was thinking to myself holy shxt mikey does have a serious side. would like to pick your brain on fresh water combinations. thinking about starting another one myself. but like the other tank i want fish that no one else has. not the everyday common fish. lots of colors and lots of excitement. would prefer herbivors but if they are cool carnivores are fine.
Told ya :D You will never figure me out :p Hell I cant figure myself out 1/2 the time :rock: But yes I do have a serious side ;) :burnout:

Black1 said:
Well.... If I was going to start a tank, I would go Salt Water. :dontknow: That's all I know, so far. :confused: I couldn't begin to tell you what kind of fish to buy. All I've had is Betas. :eek: :p
Could be very expensive..Wet/dry sytems alone are a months salery..To me anyway :eek: Start with fresh first and then go large :dontknow:

mcrodney said:
yeah but im bored with my salt water. its just gotten boring. tell you what when you come to mi come look at it i will sell it to you for 1500.00 and i have that much just in the coral.
Livew corals are spendy...I stay away from salt water for one reason only...The fisheries that harvest and capture live fish. Use Cyanide to stun them. That has a terrible effect on the fish and thats why fish sold to the USA ( salt ) die so fast.

my current setup includes the sealed wet dry eheim system that wont overflow with power interruptions, the back of the tank protein skimmer, artificial sunlight and moonlight (4 months old), tank, stand, 1500 lbs of coral, submersible heater, two current pumps, sand, and all accessories. including fish.

edit 1500 lbs of living rock.

Last edited:
mcrodney said:
my current setup includes the sealed wet dry eheim system that wont overflow with power interruptions, the back of the tank protein skimmer, artificial sunlight and moonlight (4 months old), tank, stand, 1500 lbs of coral, submersible heater, two current pumps, sand, and all accessories. including fish.
What size is the tank :dontknow:

TheSickness said:
Livew corals are spendy...I stay away from salt water for one reason only...The fisheries that harvest and capture live fish. Use Cyanide to stun them. That has a terrible effect on the fish and thats why fish sold to the USA ( salt ) die so fast.
the fish i buy are from the farms in florida. only buy fish from dr fosters. they breed and raise them in ponds. they arent wild. i have had saltwater that lived 5 years. only reason they died is when my last aquarium guy retired i tried to mantain the tank myself. what a mistake!! i had a puffer that was 5 that we called et with purple eyes and all. he would greet you in the morning and follow you all day around the tank like a puppy.

mcrodney said:
the fish i buy are from the farms in florida. only buy fish from dr fosters. they breed and raise them in ponds. they arent wild. i have had saltwater that lived 5 years. only reason they died is when my last aquarium guy retired i tried to mantain the tank myself. what a mistake!! i had a puffer that was 5 that we called et with purple eyes and all. he would greet you in the morning and follow you all day around the tank like a puppy.
LOLOLOL I had a Festivum that did the same thing :D

75 gallon. lost motivation with it when stuff started dying. not real happy with my current guy but stuff seams to be staying alive.

mcrodney said:
75 gallon. lost motivation with it when stuff started dying. not real happy with my current guy but stuff seams to be staying alive.
If you look on the man space thread you can see a pic of the one I have..It's a Surfline tank.....Pretty Bad Ass :D

This hobby really does require total dedication.....

With all of the other mania in my life....This hobby could either get very expensive having things done for me or take a tremendous amount of time away from other things....... That's probably why I haven't gotten involved with it.....

It is fascinating though...... But it's alot more than just watching the antics of all the beautiful creatures in the tank..........

SD

Last edited:
wow only took me 30 minutes to find your pics on manspace. you would think as vain as you are you would have put the link in your post. you have lots to do with that tank. if you get it started and get out this way stop by and ill give ya some living rock for it. we ordered most of it off ebay from different countries but i dont rememer what rock is from where. i just know its from somewhere around 15 different ones.

If anyone is ever near the Rain Forest Cafe in Ft Lauderdale,check out their salt water tank !!!Friggin huge,my only dislike is the artificial corral !But I know the harvesting of live corral is frowned upon by a lot of people !!!Still,Killer tank for sure !!!

I have a gagillion gallon tank that surrounds my house!:D

I'll be back in a few days, I have to go snorkling to find out what is in my tank!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back