twin turbo costs?

scoobert

Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!
Reaction score
ok the truck is now under a carport for the winter. the spring dreaming can begin.
what do you think a twin turbo setup would set me back? i know this is a viper and i will over pay for anything i do to it.... what will:
t-4 manifolds cost?
oil piping?
cooling piping?
injectors and tune?

forget the turbos and downpipes, i will source them locally, or off ebay.
also forget the intercooler, as i will use a cummins.

not looking for massive boost here, just enough to have fun on stock internals. say 700hp? looking for a project to do while the snow melts...

i understand the exhaust temps might go up, but how much more then a supercharger? or were you referring to something else?

all I can tell you from is my own experience, now I love Justin like a brother, and he and I differ on the turbo subject alot:D

but mine at 5psi let go, now I know boost is supposed to be boost, but mine had 5k miles on it when we installed the turbos, and it never made the third pass on the dyno.

so myself, I want install a turbo system on a non forged engine, period, too much liability, can it be done? probably so, but i jsut dont suggest it, heck even some of the paxtons an roes have had probs with low boost, profs was brreaking up with very little boost , but he caught it in time.'

but remember , nobody out there makes the headers, well not yet anyway;)

but then you have the intercooler, the piping, the wastegates, bov's, fuel system, guages, boost controller, clutch, ton of issues if your gonna do it correctly, I have seen some out there that are cheaply done, but they looked like they were plumbed from home depot:argh:

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
I have seen some out there that are cheaply done, but they looked like they were plumbed from home depot:argh:

Hey Tony dont knock the home depot approach... It worked for Chub's fuel setup... LOL jk

It's not like throwing a turbo on a Civic. :marchmellow:

so your saying i should just s/c it for 5grand and be happy with a max 10psi? or 7 on stock...

i would love to do internals but wanted to save that for next year, or save it for after i blow up the first engine....

Do internals this year :dontknow:

scoobert said:
so your saying i should just s/c it for 5grand and be happy with a max 10psi? or 7 on stock...

i would love to do internals but wanted to save that for next year, or save it for after i blow up the first engine....

Prbolem with that is you may window the block and set yourself back another $3-4k for a used block

inside info for ya on the H deal.........he puts in pistons;)

most of them are time bombs he builds, thats why the famous one in SC hilton head has been for sale for two years, he cant even get anyone to buy it;)

hmmmm i will have to give some thought on pulling the engine this winter then.... i do know an out of work welder that i have no doubt could make the headers if i cant find them, after all he did weld this:
P4170005.jpg

scoobert said:

personally? to me ? yes, you can find a good paxton set up used usually cheap here, i would pm scrambler1 and see if he still has his, its like a brand new unit.

for probably under 7k you would be up and running on a Rc with at least 600rwhp, and have no problems

I aint saying it cant or you shouldnt scooby, but man I jsut dont want to see anyone go thru what I did, started out at 10k jsut for the system, after 20k more i got my truck back:argh:

ask nycsteve ask me ask anyone. you love your truck right, anything over 5psi without bein forged is asking for it. and if its 700hp your looking for you gonna have to do it,

Last edited:
i'm trying to put together a Big Single kit for my truck.. just doing it slowly and trying to beat the odds i guess you can say i can fab anyting and weld tig or mig just need the money for the major parts and a week or 2 to fab it up.... best of luck with your turbo search.. i know it can be done for less that 10 grand done correctly and done by someone who knows their truck best.... You..and me in my case

Tooloe said:
i know it can be done for less that 10 grand done correctly and done by someone who knows their truck best.... You..and me in my case
i wish i spent that much im almost 13k in the hole.

ctsrt10 said:
ask nycsteve ask me ask anyone. you love your truck right, anything over 5psi without bein forged is asking for it. and if its 700hp your looking for you gonna have to do it,

i wish i would have hung out to hear what the two different S/C's sound like. i LOVE the look of jims blower, but i also think the Centrifugal has more potential.

Tooloe said:
i'm trying to put together a Big Single kit for my truck.. just doing it slowly and trying to beat the odds i guess you can say i can fab anyting and weld tig or mig just need the money for the major parts and a week or 2 to fab it up.... best of luck with your turbo search.. i know it can be done for less that 10 grand done correctly and done by someone who knows their truck best.... You..and me in my case

i wanted to avoid the single for a primary reason, LAG. i was actually thinking twin VNT turbos.

personally? to me ? yes, you can find a good paxton set up used usually cheap here, i would pm scrambler1 and see if he still has his, its like a brand new unit.

for probably under 7k you would be up and running on a Rc with at least 600rwhp, and have no problems

I aint saying it cant or you shouldnt scooby, but man I jsut dont want to see anyone go thru what I did, started out at 10k jsut for the system, after 20k more i got my truck back:argh:

the thing i am worried most about is limiting myself. if i went with twins, and a safe 4psi, next year the sky would be the limit. with a t4 flange i could put a pair of 32psi turbos on it. the most i have seen here out of a blower is about 11psi. who knows perhaps i will never go beyond 4psi, but i would like that option..

the other big question is: am i going to notice 100hp? 20%?

anyone here ever attempt an engine build themselves? i need something to do in January and February the two slowest months of the year in my job, and Florida is out this year....

i do appreciate ALL of your inputs and will not dismiss anything any of you say. i want to weigh everything before i move forward, thats why i am asking now and starting in about 6-8 weeks from now. and leaving myself 4 months to finish.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back