Was on the dyno today and .......

moparracing said:
i saw that.......:)
my point being that stating a guess on modifications "@ the flywheel" would be better dynoing @ the rear wheels since that's the only semi-accurate way to do it @ this point....... ;)
Absolutely but an estimation for those not near a dyno is suffice in must topics. I wasn't stating fact merely offering some digits on where mine would roughly be sitting for the sake of the topic and my question at hand. ;)

I finally had some time to work on the truck today. The engine is ready to pull out, also pulled the heads off and found that #10 piston has some pieces missing from it. About a 2" piece from the front side of the piston.

I you look closely I bet you will find cracks in the ring land that seperates the two ring grooves.

yellowfever#154 said:
To back all this up a little bit there wasnt any problems with the VEC or the tunes. The tunes were sent to me from ROE for my application and were not altered, yet. We were just trying to alter them and werent able to. The truck ran a little leaner than we would have liked with the base tune, we then put in a different tune and different gas and then it came apart. I guess what I am trying to say is that I dont think it was the tuner or the VEC's fault. I think my earlier post of the VEC problem has stirred the pot a little here and maybe I should have worded it a little different. It would have been more like, how do I alter a tune and write it into the memory of the VEC. Rather than Im having a problem with the VEC.

Sorry to hear that man!! Sucks to not be able to drive the baby. Good luck on the rebuild

I also found another problem but not the engine this time, when I seperated the engine from the tranny I heard something fall on the floor. At first I thought maybe just the bolts that I left in the bellhousing, but nope. It was 3 of the weights from the Centerforce clutch. The ring that retains them appears to be half missing and there is a complete ring that I'm not sure what is from (I will try and post pictures maybe later tonight). It looks like the 3 were in place for a while because I can see the marks they left in the pressure plate. I have used the clutch for probably only 3000miles, not sure exactly I could connect the battery and check the tripmeter. The disc and pressure plate look fine.

Whoa..were the weights separating a cause to engine failure...a result of or nothing to do with.?..at any rate has anyone else found these weights separated?

TNVIPER said:
Whoa..were the weights separating a cause to engine failure...a result of or nothing to do with.?..at any rate has anyone else found these weights separated?

I dont think that the weights caused the problem with the history of these pistons failing like this. This seems to just be a additional problem. The loose weights also damaged the release bearing a little as well. Seemed to operate fine when it was running.

FerrariTruck said:
Is it a possibility that the input shaft of the trans maybe caught on the clutch as you were removing it? I really hope we dont have centerforce clutch issues

For sure I didnt hit input shaft into the weights. 1st reason, before the tranny was fully split from the engine the parts hit the floor, 2nd reason the release bearing wouldnt have been marked up like it is. I am going to send some pictures and explanation to Centerforce and see what they will do about it.

I think I learned today why I lost my engine. I sold my VEC and then it was sold again and ended up with Bone. He then sent it to Sean for testing and heres what was found:

The box settings on your VEC 3 were set incorrectly, but fixed now. Quote from Sean:

The VEC3 was set to look at AN4 for IAT ....didn’t have an AN4 input and voltage could bleed through without anything connected, causing the VEC3 to either add or subtract fuel arbitrarily.

Man,Now that really sux Tyler!! Good thing Bone got it looked at an the problem fixed before it ate another one!
Was that VEC # on Diebs engine too??

yellowfever#154 said:
I think I learned today why I lost my engine. I sold my VEC and then it was sold again and ended up with Bone. He then sent it to Sean for testing and heres what was found:

The box settings on your VEC 3 were set incorrectly, but fixed now. Quote from Sean:

The VEC3 was set to look at AN4 for IAT ....didn’t have an AN4 input and voltage could bleed through without anything connected, causing the VEC3 to either add or subtract fuel arbitrarily.

who tuned it ????????????

Yellow venom said:
Man,Now that really sux Tyler!! Good thing Bone got it looked at an the problem fixed before it ate another one!
Was that VEC # on Diebs engine too??

Yes it also was on Shane's motor. Possibly the reason why it went too.

Wow. That really sucks. I think it's been discussed on the forum somewhere before the importance of have the correct box settings on the VEC3.

blackviper said:
Wow. That really sucks. I think it's been discussed on the forum somewhere before the importance of have the correct box settings on the VEC3.

So how do these settings get changed? Does a computer need to be connected to it to do this?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back