Would You Shoot?

How would you vote if you were on the jury?

• Guilty of murder

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Not guilty

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • Guilty but of a lessor charge than murder

Votes: 15 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IMHO...I like Texas' law of defending your property. I dont think you should have to flee inside your own home if some low life breaks in....I do think this guy should be charged with something less than murder...he sounded like he acted on the belief he had a right to blow the SOBs away....
The reason I think he should be charged is because how could he be sure these guys broke in?....if it is his own home he would know...if I see someone carrying furniture out of my nieghbor's house I dont know for sure they didnt have permission.

If anyone has seen the opening scene in "Last of the Mohicans".....

That's what hunting is about.......IMO

D

I have a CCW and carry everyday.I firmly believe in the "Castle Doctrine" i.e., a man's home is his castle and he has every right to defend it and himself.

I also believe that we have the right and moral obligation to protect others if we have the means.

That being said,if someone is running away,there is no threat.Legal or not,it is not right to shoot someone in the back while running away.(ever watch any old westerns or read Louis Lamour or Zane Grey novels ?)

I think the guy was wrong.

I really,really hate thieves,but to shoot someone for stealing something ?

HOT RAM said:
I have a CCW and carry everyday.I firmly believe in the "Castle Doctrine" i.e., a man's home is his castle and he has every right to defend it and himself.

I also believe that we have the right and moral obligation to protect others if we have the means.

That being said,if someone is running away,there is no threat.Legal or not,it is not right to shoot someone in the back while running away.(ever watch any old westerns or read Louis Lamour or Zane Grey novels ?)

I think the guy was wrong.

I really,really hate thieves,but to shoot someone for stealing something ?

Right on, Nelson....

D

Yes Prof, it's nice to see we generally agree. However, the poll doesn't reflect that. I think the first impulse would be to vote for a "not guilty" verdict given the nature of the incident. I wouldn't like to see someone's home invaded and robbed even if I didn't know them from Adam. But taking a life is a serious matter and unfortunately in many cases there isn't much time to think the decision to kill someone thouroughly enough (unless it is obvious they person is about to kill you or someone else). In the caller's case he had plenty opportunity to stop before it escalated to this. I mean, he even had the dispatcher try to talk sense into him but he chose to go with his itchy trigger finger instead. If an example isn't made of this guy to convey the message that his actions were wrong then I'm afraid we will see more and more such vigilante stories emerging everywhere. That's just my opinion though. :dontknow:

Last edited:
The guy is a stone cold killer, nothing less. He may try to paint himself as some kind of defender of the neighborhood, but that is pure bullshit. He even made light of the fact before shooting them. I got no problem defending your home or your family, but this was nothing like that. Obviously that will be his defense, but it's a weak one at best.

Alright. After reading all the post's. I've come to this conclusion. I have alot to learn from all of you! (More then mods and general info on the truck!)
I'm thankful I was not in the shooters situation, because I might have done the same thing, thinking I would have been doing the right thing. "Help thy neighbor"!?!
Anyone know the difference between a "smart man & a wise man"? Yeah I know I'm far from either:eek: I'm working on it!!
I'm learning alot from you guy's!!!:rock: Thanks:)

Here's another way to look at this. Do you really believe that burglarizing a home is deserving of death? Even in countries that we call barbaric and archaic, the penalty would be the loss of a hand at most. I mean really, c'mon. What if that were your kid? How would you feel? Yeah, it was a stupid thing to rob a house, but I don't think anyone here would feel it was justified if it were a member of our family.

devildog02 said:
Alright. After reading all the post's. I've come to this conclusion. I have alot to learn from all of you! (More then mods and general info on the truck!)
I'm thankful I was not in the shooters situation, because I might have done the same thing, thinking I would have been doing the right thing. "Help thy neighbor"!?!
Anyone know the difference between a "smart man & a wise man"? Yeah I know I'm far from either:eek: I'm working on it!!

I don't think any of want to change your mind. But if we can get everyone to think rather than react...everyone will be better off.

Our brain can be our worst enemy or our best friend...we just have to be sure it is engaged when it is easier to just let our emotions go.

Just seeing how others feel about this situation is beneficial to all...it causes us to think...and that is seldom bad.

devildog02 said:
I agree. After having some time to think about this, I probably would have followed the dispatchers recommendation. If I did step outside, it would be to get a license plate number and vehicle description. Then if someone charged me I would still have my shotgun for defense. But you never know who else is carrying and it may be you they are drawing the white outline around.

Last edited:
OCBob said:
Even in countries that we call barbaric and archaic, the penalty would be the loss of a hand at most. I mean really, c'mon.

OCBob said exactly what I was thinking earlier. Death wasn't the proper punishment for this robbery, definately not in this country. And if it was it certainly wasn't the shooter's position to make that call (unless it was his home they were making entry into). I would hate to be the one to have to make that decision. Looking at it from a religious viewpoint, the old timer could have been chosen by GOD to carry out HIS will. We could look at this in all kinds of ways. I just wouldn't want to be involved on any side of the barrel.

I tell you guys, I shot someone in the leg one night during my first week on patrol as a Deputy Sheriff. I wasn't aiming to stop the suspect I was aiming to kill. I am damn glad it didn't turn out as I intended because just wounding the suspect made me feel really bad for quite a while, even though he and another were shooting at my FTO (Field Training Officer) and me. Sadly the life of the other shooter was terminated as a result that night and I often wondered how my FTO really felt about it. One would have to be really intent and willing to kill in order to end a life when their own or another person's life isn't in danger.

WOW, this is a darn good subject.

Last edited:
Venom Power said:
Yes Prof, it's nice to see we generally agree. However, the poll doesn't reflect that. I think the first impulse would be to vote for a "not guilty" verdict given the nature of the incident. I wouldn't like to see someone's home invaded and robbed even if I didn't know them from Adam. But taking a life is a serious matter and unfortunately in many cases there isn't much time to think the decision to kill someone thouroughly enough (unless it is obvious they person is about to kill you or someone else). In the caller's case he had plenty opportunity to stop before it escalated to this. I mean, he even had the dispatcher try to talk sense into him but he chose to go with his itchy trigger finger instead. If an example isn't made of this guy to convey the message that his actions were wrong then I'm afraid we will see more and more such vigilante stories emerging everywhere. That's just my opinion though. :dontknow:

Yeah, make an example out of him, it works so well when dealing with criminals in general.I have noticed that crime has almost stopped in my lifetime probably due to tougher sentences etc. But please don't expect me not to shoot you in the head as well as your body if I catch you stealing my $20 dollar alarm clock and have a firearm handy even if it makes me feel bad later unless of course you are a white person and then you can just steal everything I have and it won't even make me mad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful subject...being discussed maturely by friends...very, very, enjoyable.

Except for #75...

Cough, cough...

QClikeKW said:
Yeah, make an example out of him, it works so well when dealing with criminals in general.I have noticed that crime has almost stopped in my lifetime probably due to tougher sentences etc. But please don't expect me not to shoot you in the head as well as your body if I catch you stealing my $20 dollar alarm clock and have a firearm handy even if it makes me feel bad later unless of course you are a white person and then you can just steal everything I have and it won't even make me mad.

If someone were stealing your $20 alarm clock from your home I would expect you blast, stab or do whatever to them QClike. I am an advocate for defending yourself and property. But to shoot someone for taking someone else's $20 alarm clock without knowing the facts would be silly no matter what color the apparent robbers were. In reality what we may feel is the correct action can often be contradicted by what federal, state and local laws may say. We don't always agree with what the law states but unfortunately man's law determines our freedom or lack thereof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Venom Power said:
By all means D, your comments are always very interesting.:D

I just find it very curious how easily some people talk about taking another man's life as if they're taking the wrapper off a fkn candy bar....

Killing someone is as easy as squeezing the trigger..... Living with it is the hard part.

I've seen big badass cops shoot a man at close range and it fkd their heads up so bad that they threw up spontaneously..... They couldn't help it..... It just happens... Especially to good men with a conscience.... Then they spend the next week not sleeping..... or crying for no fkn reason.... while they're playing with their kids...

I don't care how much the bad guy deserved it..... It stays with you for life....

Human life isn't a fkn piece-a Kleenex..... All life is sacred....

D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back