Blackviper Engine Build

Here is what Sean told me about an hour ago:

"Haven't ben able to get a pull yet, it's missfiring. Pulling the plugs on the left bank. Sounds like one or two cylinders aren't firing under load."

Still waiting.

Last edited:
Prof said:
Hear is what Sean told me about an hour ago:

"Haven't ben able to get a pull yet, it's missfiring. Pulling the plugs on the left bank. Sounds like one or two cylinders aren't firing under load."

Still waiting.

Not good...:(

So..... get it figured out? :dontknow:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just heard from Sean....it is George's place to tell about it!

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

George !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont keep us waiting

Sorry guys it was a long day yesterday and we had to overcome quite a few obstacles. The short story is that we couldn't figure out why at 3700 rpm it was making 16.7lbs of boost and by 5100 rpm it would be down to 6.1. We did numerous pulls with the same end result. Sean said, he had seen that a few times before when using non-load bearing dynos, but I seriously feel there was an issue with dyno. We also did a couple of more pulls with the nitrous activated and there seems to be a problem with the micro switch so we abandoned it.

Now here is the good news. Sean suggested we do a few real world pulls on the street and the results were completely different. The truck would peak at 15.1 and then hold a steady 13.4 lbs. With that said, he had to basically redo the tune on the fly. I would say we did another 8 pulls on the street before he felt comfortable with the results. All I know is by then it was pulling like a raped ape.

Now for the numbers. The dyno showed a maximum of 676.4 rwhp and 720.8 trq at 6.1 lbs of boost on pump gas and with an 11.7 air/fuel ratio. However, based on the road pulls that reflected/netted another 7 lbs of boost (13.4), I would venture to say the rwhp should be around 806. This is based on the theory that every additional pound of boast nets 20 rwhp and me being a bit on the conservative side.

Here is the low down on the intercooler and pulley setup. The intercooler held its own. When we would start the pulls, the water tempurature exiting the intercooler cores was 104 degrees. By the end of the pulls, the water temperature exiting the cores was 112 degrees. As soon as the pull was over, it would drop back down within a couple of minutes.

I want to happily report that the pulley system works. I would say absolutely no belt slip and that's with a 2.5 inch upper pulley. After we were done with all the dyno pulls, I check the S/C pulley and all the idlers for trace evidence and there was no belt dust on them whatsoever. (Dale, I'll send you the info you requested.)

Over the next couple of weeks, I wll be working on correcting a few things and then I will be taking the truck to a different dyno. I want to confirm my dyno suspicion.

I want to thank Mickey (1QKSRT) for his involvement and for diving in yesterday and helping out with the ignition problem.

I want to thank Alex (Litemup) for driving up from Miami for his support and video efforts.

Lastly, I want to thank Sean for his patience and determination. As the Prof has said, he is truly the "Viper Whisperer".

To be continued.........

Last edited:
Very nice. SO your intercooler is the shit:rock: :rock: Way to go. Now patent that thing. Truly a pioneer for the s/c 10 my hats off to you.(I want one:D )

Outstanding George! This is really exciting...the results were great...and more to come.

Thanks Prof. It was amazing watching Sean do his thing. He must have spent 1 1/2 hours just rewriting all the short and long term fuel tables. That was even before putting the truck on the dyno for the first time. He gave me some homework to do to get even more power out of it. Such as making boost graphs for the intercooler designer as well as some test to do to see whether or not the cores are being restrictive. He also ask me to perform a vacuum test on the intake side to see whether or not there is any restriction inbound to the supercharger. He feels there is a lot more power left in it.

Being a one off build and yesterday's obstacles and time constraints, I would say we made a lot of progress. Based on the real world feel before and after the build, I would venture to say that my guess estimate of rwhp is probably accurate. I will try to confirm this over the next 2 to 3 weeks. I truly feel that a 1000 rwhp with a small shot of nitrous is obtainable.

Who said that the Roe couldn't make boost on a fully built engine?

Congrats George. I know it was a long road for you.

Are you using the VEC as your main tune solution? I forgot over the length of this thread. I know you are using the SCT for shift points and such.

Did you have to tune individual cylinders, or were they fairly even?

Congrats again. I am looking forward to the final numbers.

blackviper said:
Dale, I would say except for cylinders 2 and 3 the rest were pretty even. Hopefully Sean will chime in and explain the tuning. Using the VEC, he did have to trim certain cylinders but I don't know by how much. Here is the link to the driver's side idler.

http://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MIPDBR-50

Thanks Larry.
Thanks for the info. I will see how it works when I get it.

Congratulations

Congratulations on a truly exceptional one of a kind awesome build. :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

676rwhp on 6#'s in a QC!! Sounds like everything is workin alright to me especially the intercooler..:D Congrats George!:congrats:

Thanks Kyle. I think the number is closer to 800 rwhp after the street pulls and seeing a peak of 15.1 lbs and a steady 13.4 lbs of boost as logged by Sean's software.

Overall, I'm quite pleased. I think another dyno will reflect those numbers. My goal is to be between 800 to 850 rwhp on motor and boost, and potentially be at 1000 rwhp on nitrous.

I just need to work on a few more things and then tweak it some more. I'll also let Sean digest all the data before getting a bit more aggressive with the timing and methanol. Right now, the methanol is only at 30% duty cycle as compared to 88% before the build. I think there is plenty left in it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back