Blackviper Engine Build

I made 6 different phone calls today to discuss the results of the dyno and the general concensus is that the dyno couldn't provide enough load or it was busted. I have scheduled time on another dyno next Wenesday. We'll see how it does. Hopefully, it will confirm my suspicion.

I will also try to have the nitrous up and running by then. It seems like there maybe an issue with the tach signal.

blackviper said:
I made 6 different phone calls today to discuss the results of the dyno and the general concensus is that the dyno couldn't provide enough load or it was busted. I have scheduled time on another dyno next Wenesday. We'll see how it does. Hopefully, it will confirm my suspicion.

I will also try to have the nitrous up and running by then. It seems like there maybe an issue with the tach signal.

I'm guessing you're taking it to a load baring dyno???

Here are some pics from last Saturday's dyno day. More to come this Wednesday.

StuatDynoDay2.jpg

StuartDynoDay3.jpg

StuartDynoDay1.jpg

:rock: :rock:

Last edited:
My gatorback only lasted about 1000 miles before it started slipping. By 1200 miles I was down to 5psi from 10. I added a pulley just under the blower pulley and went back to a Gates belt that lasted 12k before I pulled my engine again. I might 86 the larger crank pulley. I never had a belt issue at 8 psi and the stock crank pulley.

HV SRT said:
My gatorback only lasted about 1000 miles before it started slipping. By 1200 miles I was down to 5psi from 10. I added a pulley just under the blower pulley and went back to a Gates belt that lasted 12k before I pulled my engine again. I might 86 the larger crank pulley. I never had a belt issue at 8 psi and the stock crank pulley.

Hmmm...I have had the GatorBack for at least 3K miles....still no slip....My guage shows 11LBs as soon as I go WOT and stays there thru 6K RPMs....I had a Gates before and it would slip some...:dontknow:

HV SRT said:

Thats about how many miles I got too was about 1200,the dyno ate it up:(

By the way, I'm also using a Gatorback belt and so far so good. I got 1200 mile on it plus approximately 25 pulls.

Spoke to Dusty in length today. I'm already having transmission issues. When I stab the throttle and the trans attempts to downshift, it goes into a false neutral rather than grabbing the gear and the motor bounces off the revlimiter. He said for now and until we get the tune sorted out, to back off the kickdown cable until the problem goes away. I'll be ordering a fully built trans within the next thirty days.

I also spoke with Ed at PSE and he is reviewing the intercooler design and specs to see if they can be improved on. He also advised me that SCT has a neat flash for the automatic transmissions that locks out the converter and lets you do a pull from as low as 20 mph. He told me that after I install the built trans that I would also probably see another 60 rwhp and 40 ft lbs of torque. He says that this would be largely due to the efficiency of the built trans over the stock unit and it would more than likely require tweaking the tune.

On the bright side, I'm still making progress.

Come on George. Add another first to the list and make the first 6spd QC. That Beast would really fly:rock: :D

blackviper said:
Spoke to Dusty in length today. I'm already having transmission issues. When I stab the throttle and the trans attempts to downshift, it goes into a false neutral rather than grabbing the gear and the motor bounces off the revlimiter. He said for now and until we get the tune sorted out, to back off the kickdown cable until the problem goes away. I'll be ordering a fully built trans within the next thirty days.

I also spoke with Ed at PSE and he is reviewing the intercooler design and specs to see if they can be improved on. He also advised me that SCT has a neat flash for the automatic transmissions that locks out the converter and lets you do a pull from as low as 20 mph. He told me that after I install the built trans that I would also probably see another 60 rwhp and 40 ft lbs of torque. He says that this would be largely due to the efficiency of the built trans over the stock unit and it would more than likely require tweaking the tune.

On the bright side, I'm still making progress.

Thats some interesting stuff on the tranny tune Jorge!! You can't go wrong with Dusty's tranny!!:rock:

Come on George. Add another first to the list and make the first 6spd QC. That Beast would really fly

Trust me. I've given this a lot of thought. I just don't think the manual trans would hold up to the extra weight of a quadcab.

Thats some interesting stuff on the tranny tune Jorge!! You can't go wrong with Dusty's tranny!!

Knowledge equals power in this case, literally. I'm learning more and more every day.

George, if Dusty would agree to detail the fully built transmission process for us, I am willing to bet that his efforts would be rewarded by a significant number orders if your built transmission holds...there are lots of people in our group that are on the edge and there are a dozen or so that have given up on having a transmission that will support even moderate engine/traction modifications...

A specific thread would be super...and probably a great marketing tool...is Dusty a vendor???

By the way there are a few of us that might entertain the idea of going from the manual to a fool proof automatic!!!

Roy

Prof, I don't believe he is a vendor. I'll give him a call today and see if he is willing to become one and detail the build of my transmission.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back