Blackviper Engine Build

Wow, haven't been on the forum now for a couple of months. I have missed alot. Looking forward to seeing your newest results.....

I've had the transmission for about a week now. It's going in this coming Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon.

blackviper said:
So far 678 rwhp SAE at 3700 rpm. I'm still working on the tune, having transmission problems and running out of air. I should be installing the trans next week and the new TB and cold air intake in the week to follow. Then we'll go at the tune again. I still feel the X-metal TB and my current CAI are being restrictive and not letting the Lysholm breath.

Based on my results with trying to get as much as possible out of the Roe, I agree that the TB is preventing it from achieving its full potential. It would be great to see a Roe blower produce 800 hp. Hope to see you get there, or close to it.

I think it will be close. Between the new throttle body, the new plenum that Justin is going to make for me, and the efficiency of the built transmission, I'm figuring the 3.3 litre blower will max out somewhere in the neighborhood of 775 to 800 rwhp. Then add a 75 to 100 shot of nitrous and it should be close 950 at the wheels. If not, there is always plan B.

One more thing John. I recall at the very tail end of your Roe build, you guys were measuring 2 inches of vacuum on the air filter side of the throttle body. It is my understanding that each inch of vacuum represents about 30 rwhp with the displacement of our engines.

Last edited:
blackviper said:
I think it will be close. Between the new throttle body, the new plenum that Justin is going to make for me, and the efficiency of the built transmission, I'm figuring the 3.3 litre blower will max out somewhere in the neighborhood of 775 to 800 rwhp. Then add a 75 to 100 shot of nitrous and it should be close 950 at the wheels. If not, there is always plan B.

It will be very interesting to see your results. I always thought the Roe had the potential to make 800 hp and it looks like your build will be the one to prove it. yes, I know about plan B's (and plan C's). That is what makes this so fun. ;)

blackviper said:
One more thing John. I recall at the very tail end of your Roe build, you guys were measuring 2 inches of vacuum on air filter side of the throttle body. It is my understanding that each inch of vacuum represents about 30 rwhp with the displacement of our engines.

Yes we were measuring 2" of vacuum on the filter side of the TB. I never knew of a formula to convert that to lost hp. If 1" equals loss of 1 psi of boost, then I guess thats about right.

Here is some more information straight from Kenny Bell's website.

VACUUM / INLET RESTRICTION - 1” of vacuum restriction can reduce engine power up to 32HP.

To determine overall inlet efficiencies, tap the center of the inlet manifold at the supercharger entrance and connect to a good 0-30” Hg vacuum gauge. Note the peak vacuum reading at WOT. The reading will increase with engine rpm/HP. We use a more sophisticated series of calibrated pressure sensors, one behind each component, and data log the entire dyno run. If your reading is 0” Hg, don’t upgrade any inlet component IF you’re satisfied with the HP number. However, if it’s 1-9”Hg, there’s HP to be gained. 1.0” Hg is often 35-40HP. .1” Hg is 3.5-4HP. This isn’t opinions or theory, but fact. A NASCAR Cup engine makes 850HP. With a restrictor plate, the same engine is 450HP but has approx. 12” Hg vacuum. That’s 8.7 psi or about 6 psi short of God’s 14.7 psi. It’s all about inlet restriction whether it’s supercharged or naturally aspirated. In the ‘60’s, I used a vacuum gauge under the carburetor. Didn’t have throttle bodies then. If the gauge read 0” Hg, the carburetor was large enough. But if it read 2” Hg (13.7 psi) instead of 0” Hg (14.7 psi), I knew that I was “short” 1 psi of God’s Boost or about 7% in HP. 1 ÷ 14.7 = 7%. Same holds true 44 years later with supercharging. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Wow, that is interesting to know. Looks like you will have the first 800 hp Roe build for sure. :rock: :rock:

If I'm close, I'll be satisfied with my efforts.

When do you think you'll be done with your build? Do you plan to step on the boost?

Dropped the compression to 8.6:1, fully built engine, heads flow 330, planning on 15 lbs of boost. Its all in Justin's capable hands now. I will do whatever he recommends. Should be interesting.

I'm sure you'll be really happy with the outcome. Justin does some amazing work.

Got Dusty's (HTS) transmission in last night. Drove it home approx. 20 miles and so far so good. I have to fine tune the kickdown adjustment this weekend and put some more miles on it before it gets put to the test.

Hopefully Dusty will chime in and provide the details of the build.

blackviper said:
Got Dusty's (HTS) transmission in last night. Drove it home approx. 20 miles and so far so good. I have to fine tune the kickdown adjustment this weekend and put some more miles on it before it gets put to the test.

Hopefully Dusty will chime in and provide the details of the build.

Yes, the details would be very helpful!

I really want to hear that there is a solution to the transmission failures...

I haven't really been able to put miles on it on than the ride home the other night. The weather has been on and off rain the last few days. One thing is for sure, the shifts happen really fast and precise.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back