Forced Induction Questions - Help Me Decide

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by Carlwalski, May 5, 2009.

1. LoveThisTruck

LoveThisTruck New Member Supporting Member

No problem bro, and no offense taken at all. It's all about personal preference like you said. I never really take mine to the track. I got it just to rip around town:burnout: and I love the whine:D

It sounds like you're pretty much set on staying NA. I say go for it man:rock: I've been in a couple NA trucks with right at 500rwhp, and it FEELS like more than that NA:dontknow: they pulled like a SOB! 600 would be nasty!

I'm not sure if it's getting less air with the CAI... It makes good power. I'm getting ready to have some "stuff" done to it, so it'll be back on the dyno. I'll check it with the CAI and without:)

2. Carlwalski

Carlwalski New Member Supporting Member

Thanks mate, looking at the Paxton, that looks like my ticket. On paper it makes sense. Same kind of power (potential for a little more, perhaps?), NO whine but a subtle "whistle" (if anything) and the power delivery isn't as sudden but gradual so traction is going to be a lot better which is something I like, it's basically like having a NA engine under the hood but you are guaranteed 600+rwhp (at least) and you can say: "It's Supercharged". I'll start doing some research. One thing I note is they sell two kits. Manual and Auto. What would I go for as mine WAS A manual but is now an Auto? :laugh: Isn't the only reason they have 2 is because the stock auto won't take the "manual" kits power? Plus, they only list 04 and 05 kits, no 2006 kits (from what I can see). As everyone has always said, I can't go wrong with either the Roe or Paxton. :)

Research, research, research.......

3. Carlwalski

Is anyone with a Paxton setup able to take some photos of the set up? I'm trying to see if it clears the headers, if so by how much as I also have a steering column/linkage to deal with. It "looks" fine in the photos I have seen but it's hard to tell. I know the OEM heads are fine for clearance. Easy enough to customise to fit if it does run into the linkage but it'd be good to know prior to buying. :)

Thanks!

[​IMG]

4. bigike

bigike Full Access Member

5. bigike

If you go NA then you will run into subtile driveablility issues i'd imagine...... to big of a cam to big stall which you don't have to worry about. FI is it! Support SEAN you will love the sound and the delivery it's sooooo much fun if you live in the LOW mph like i do.

6. bigike

[​IMG]

ONCE again DO NOT LOOK AT THE HP NUMBERS AS A guide! Either I removed 80 odd HP by installing 2 cats and a catback or there is something SERIOUSlY wrong with my tune!

But it sounds great ;)

7. bigike

If you went Paxton you could forgo the Water to air and go with a custom air to air..................

8. bigike

One more thingy.............. NO ONE HAS PUSHED THE NEW WHIPPLE YET!!!!! Think about it!

9. Carlwalski

Thanks mate but once again, no matter which way I cut it, I hate the Roe sound. Sorry to say, it's just not "mean" enough for me. That is my HONEST opinion. Otherwise I'd be installing one right now. Also, the traction thing is MAJOR factor in my opinion and build factor, very surprised to see very little about it on this entire site, all good bragging #s but pointless when you're only using a small % of it. As it is now, traction is so so. I like to get what I make, to the ground. So the Paxton and NA build are perfect. My tuner is good so it will be a stout and safe tune, nothing too wild. I'd be happy with a safe and reliable 650rwhp. :) I know the Paxton will still break traction but it's more "subtle" delivery is a much better traction "aid". The Paxton is almost like having a 650rwhp+ NA build. Sean is a great guy and has helped heaps with other parts for the BATRAM. It's not him, it's the design of the actually TMTS unit itself.

Cheers.

10. bigike

CARl have you heard that song you change you mind, like a girl changes clothes???

F THE PAXTON F THE ROE GET JMB's Small Procharger!!!!!!! And be done with it you will get the best of everything!

11. amtrucker22

amtrucker22 Active Member Supporting Member

I agree with the traction part of this but I love the Roe whine. All about personal choices as you have said.

Can't tell you a lot about the paxton. Mickey (1qksrt) knows a lot about them.

I also saw this one come up for sale today (LINK)

12. Carlwalski

LOL! All good mate, it's the reason I started this thread. If FI were as cheap as clothes and mistakes weren't as costly I could try them all. :p
    I'd rather be safe and make sure I'm happy prior to pulling the trigger than buy 1 blindfolded. ;) :D

Thanks guys. :burnout:

13. Carlwalski

VEC3 or SCT ??

I gave my shop/engine builder/tuner the Paxton manual today and some info I've found while searching. He'll read it this weekend and we'll have talk about it next week. He asked me what kind of tuning systems were available or used with these trucks. I said the SCT unit and VEC3. He wants TOTAL control and to be able to do REAL TIME adjustments and tuning ie: sitting in the truck with a laptop or similar. He knows his stuff and I want him to work his magic. My question, am I correct in thinking the SCT (I currently have) won't be able to offer this kind of customisation?

From my understanding, with the SCT, we'll have to email someone like Roe and advise of our requested changes, he'll then put them on a software and email them back, we download it from the PC then download it to the truck - done? If so, that won't cut it. Is the VEC3 the way to go for CUSTOM tuners and tuning?? I've found while searching the post below, how do you write the programs yourself? I'll printed off the VEC3 specs/info, the SCT specs and what ever response I get here and hand them over to my shop. I'd like to use the SCT if possible as I already have it and am not one to waste my hard earned and I've got better things to do with $1,230 US that the VEC3 costs.

Thanks!

14. bigike

No the SCT is real time the VEC is with a laptop, unless your tuner has the pro tunning software, then they use the laptop.

15. Carlwalski

16. Carlwalski

Hmmm, reading SCT's website, this thing (above) must be expensive as you have to enquire and they go on about running a shop and being able to tune cars so something like that won't be cheap. How do you tune a car "real time" using the SCT? The screen is too small. I'm wanting my tuner to be able to sit in this vehicle and tune it. He's going to book a dyno for a day or two once installed and again after the "run in miles" and wants to have full control. The VEC and it's card system sounds perfect but I'll make sure before I go spending that kind of cash.

17. Scrambler1

Scrambler1 Full Access Member

The SCT can be tuned with a laptop as well with the software that you provided a link to. No it's not cheap, he'd prob want you to pay for it unless he plans to tune other SRT vehicles. That's what I was going to have to do when I was planning on using the SCT.

I'd rather go that way as I personally don't like the VEC. Some people on here have had good luck with it but I know others who haven't. There is a good bit of wiring that has to be done and IMO that gives too many connections to fail and cause it to mess up. SCT is the way I'd go, even if you have to pay for it.

18. Carlwalski

Thanks mate, I did come across some failed and blown engines as a result of VEC during my many searches. From memory, you were one of them, sorry to hear about that. The wiring is a good call, The BATRAM has plenty as-is with it's "gadgets" and what-not so the last thing I need or want is more wiring. If it were a great system that you guys (the owners) couldn't fault, fine but after seeing what I have....hmmmmm.

Yes, the cost would be 100% on me. My tuner hasn't worked on an SRT/10 before and I doubt he will again as there just aren't many down here so the shop and him have no need at all to make such a purchase. Do you know what these things cost? I've sent SCT an email asking but was just curious and to get the ball rolling thought I'd ask you. How does the SCT plug into a laptop as-is, I (from memory) never received any extra cables/adapters in their "stock" kit? I'm guessing you need to purchase some USB style cable that plugs the SCT to a laptop? Electronics is one thing I don't think I'll ever get my head around lol. Perhaps in layman's terms?

1) Plug SCT into laptop via USB style cable
    2) Tune truck to desired settings and "save" to SCT
    3) Load recently saved tune into truck via main-port
    4) DONE

Is that how it works? Sorry for the newb like questions. :( :eek:

Thanks,
    Carl

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  19. Prof

Prof New Member Supporting Member

Carl, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, some stink and some don't.

Call Sean Roe he sells both and will give you facts and direct responses to your questions.

20. bigike

he needs to just buy Joe's. That way he gets the Paxton that fits his "wrong" side drive config.........

He don't like the Whipple ROAR, his loss ;)