Forced Induction Questions - Help Me Decide

There is no reason that an experienced driver cannot launch a Roe modified vehicle every bit as well as any normally aspirated vehicle...it comes down to thinking and the bottom line is torque and horsepower...normally aspirated vehicles will usually lose.

But it is your vehicle and your choice.

I don't race my truck...but before the rebuild I was in the 11.80's.

Its not a testosterone check...it is determining what you want to have in the end.

Yup and I am happy with my decision it's not one I had to make but one I feel the truck chose itself......if that makes sense lol. I just had to "listen" to it and knew within the first few runs where I was at. You are right, there is no reason a skilled driver can't launch a Roe but lets be real, even the most skilled of drivers (Sox material) can't get it right each and every time, at the track or at the stop lights when it matters (in the real world, out on the streets) I'm happy knowing my truck will hook hard and pull the same time each and every time not go up in smoke or bog. :) RottenRonnie's running 12.5 on his NA in a QC with "only" 577rwhp. BigRed's doing 12.2 in an NA truck, Justins running 11s? on NOS in an NA build. Impressive numbers IMO from NA builds which as mentioned offer power in a more natural (no pun intended) flow.

It's there at any time (not that a SC isn't) but NA power levels are there from 0-red line. I'm not out to make the worlds fastest truck as we all know there are always faster vehicles. Like yourself, reliability and safety are up there, then traction and lastly hp/performance. I want a truck I can drive anywhere and feel happy knowing it's safe. The auto has made this truck a lot quicker especially off the mark, the 0-60mph has dropped considerably, couldn't say how much but it's good to be able to power brake and hook every time. New kettle of fish really.....QC 1/4 pace with RC weight and transfer. :) Once again, I'm not out to have a pissing match with you or anyone, in this hobby people take different routes to achieve what they feel is a good set up. Many ways to achieve smiles with these trucks and I think it's safe to say we both achieved that goal. :D

Cheers,
Carl

Last edited:
Prof said:
Carl...I hear your traction, traction, traction issue.

But I will put my Roe equipped truck up against all of the normally aspirated SRT 10 trucks from a roll, from a dead stop, or top end...and I will be the winner 98% of the time. That sir, is the bottom line.

So while I hear your lament, the fact is that in nearly every instance your truck will lose to a supercharged vehicle...but if that is not your concern have at it.

Were all those races the 1/4 mile? Cause we know you are in the 14's with that... ;)

forced induction will chase a N/A down in the 1/4 mile. ask me how i know.

Carlwalski said:
Yup and I am happy with my decision it's not one I had to make but one I feel the truck chose itself......if that makes sense lol. I just had to "listen" to it and knew within the first few runs where I was at. You are right, there is no reason a skilled driver can't launch a Roe but lets be real, even the most skilled of drivers (Sox material) can't get it right each and every time, at the track or at the stop lights when it matters (in the real world, out on the streets) I'm happy knowing my truck will hook hard and pull the same time each and every time not go up in smoke or bog. :) RottenRonnie's running 12.5 on his NA in a QC with "only" 577rwhp. BigRed's doing 12.2 in an NA truck, Justins running 11s? on NOS in an NA build. Impressive numbers IMO from NA builds which as mentioned offer power in a more natural (no pun intended) flow.

It's there at any time (not that a SC isn't) but NA power levels are there from 0-red line. I'm not out to make the worlds fastest truck as we all know there are always faster vehicles. Like yourself, reliability and safety are up there, then traction and lastly hp/performance. I want a truck I can drive anywhere and feel happy knowing it's safe. The auto has made this truck a lot quicker especially off the mark, the 0-60mph has dropped considerably, couldn't say how much but it's good to be able to power brake and hook every time. New kettle of fish really.....QC 1/4 pace with RC weight and transfer. :) Once again, I'm not out to have a pissing match with you or anyone, in this hobby people take different routes to achieve what they feel is a good set up. Many ways to achieve smiles with these trucks and I think it's safe to say we both achieved that goal. :D

Cheers,
Carl

Carl,

For what it's worth, I think you are on the right track with the naturally aspirated decision. That 12.5 you mentioned (above) was a high altitude pass (with my wife driving as STINKER so often likes to mention :)) and will drop substantially at a sea-level track.

My point is that decent naturally aspirated power production isn't hard to find these days and, as a side note, my Q.C. (all 5600 pounds of it) is NOT (with the exception of the drag radials) even setup as a drag vehicle. Still, I am able to pound on Viper CARS from a roll and at the track. And all of this happens without power adders. Granted, some tweaking to the Viper and the situation would be reversed but the truck weighs TWO THOUSAND pounds more than the car and pushes a LOT more air. More tweaking to the truck, I win again- blah, blah, blah..What I am trying to say here is you don't HAVE TO use power adders to try to get good performance out of these trucks as I'm sure you are aware..

But, it also depends on what you think "good performance" is.

To a guy running 10s, vehicles at my performance level are turtles. I had some kid in a turbo Skyline blow by me at 126 about 50 feet before the traps...unreal! I think that is where the term came from: "Like I was standing still".

Often assumptions are made that if a Viper truck is supercharged, it HAS to be faster than one that isn't.

Here is something to think about...

6.571 seconds at 210.21 mph NATURALLY ASPIRATED (New N.H.R.A. Pro Stock Record). Kind of a tongue-in-cheek example here but...you get my point...right? Freakin' amazing for something without power adders of any kind! 500 cubic inches.

There are MANY ways to produce power from an engine and some will choose one way, some another. Is one way "better" than the other? Who can say?...
I guess it depends on what YOU want to try out...and arguments will go on forever...

Personally, I expect a LOT of performance out of an engine that someone has added a supercharger to. I don't always see it...

I think it is super cool what you have done/are doing with your truck (auto and all) and I hope it ends up being exactly what you wanted, whatever your final decisions end up being.

Ronnie

Last edited:
rottenronnie said:
Carl,

For what it's worth, I think you are on the right track with the naturally aspirated decision. That 12.5 you mentioned (above) was a high altitude pass (with my wife driving as STINKER so often likes to mention :)) and will drop substantially at a sea-level track.

My point is that decent naturally aspirated power production isn't hard to find these days and, as a side note, my Q.C. (all 5600 pounds of it) is NOT (with the exception of the drag radials) even setup as a drag vehicle. Still, I am able to pound on Viper CARS from a roll and at the track. And all of this happens without power adders. Granted, some tweaking to the Viper and the situation would be reversed but the truck weighs TWO THOUSAND pounds more than the car and pushes a LOT more air. More tweaking to the truck, I win again- blah, blah, blah..What I am trying to say here is you don't HAVE TO use power adders to try to get good performance out of these trucks as I'm sure you are aware..

But, it also depends on what you think "good performance" is.

To a guy running 10s, vehicles at my performance level are turtles. I had some kid in a turbo Skyline blow by me at 126 about 50 feet before the traps...unreal! I think that is where the term came from: "Like I was standing still".

Often assumptions are made that if a Viper truck is supercharged, it HAS to be faster than one that isn't.

Here is something to think about...

6.571 seconds at 210.21 mph NATURALLY ASPIRATED (New N.H.R.A. Pro Stock Record). Kind of a tongue-in-cheek example here but...you get my point...right? Freakin' amazing for something without power adders of any kind! 500 cubic inches.

There are MANY ways to produce power from an engine and some will choose one way, some another. Is one way "better" than the other? Who can say?...
I guess it depends on what YOU want to try out...and arguments will go on forever...

Personally, I expect a LOT of performance out of an engine that someone has added a supercharger to. I don't always see it...

I think it is super cool what you have done/are doing with your truck (auto and all) and I hope it ends up being exactly what you wanted, whatever your final decisions end up being.

Ronnie
Thanks Ronnie, some good points there, thanks for pitching in and also thanks for the kind words. :)

Regards,
Carl

PROCHARGER

Carlwalski said:
Hi Guys,

Yes, I know.....I know, I've been here long enough to know how to use the search button and I'm sorry this topic keeps coming up but between my OCD and wanting to do things right, I just had to start my own thread. I know my options and they are; Roe Racing which I am very happy to go, Seans service is fantastic and he has helped the Batram a lot. The power is lower and comes in hard which is great for my "street" truck. Prices are fair and he is very easy to deal with. My second option is Paxton. They seem just as well liked around here and are just as proven out on the roads. Power comes on further up the rpm range. I have seen in posts here that the Paxton is capable of more psi and power, whereas the Roe Racing SC is limited. I haven't dealt with Paxton before, no dramas though.

Lastly; JMBs Procharger kit. OK, most of you guys will probably know I had some bad service from Justin, well, lack of professionalism is more the case. His products seem to be great but to me, he came across as a little terse. But his kit does look very nice and I like the fact it can be tuned anywhere from 500rwhp up until the wallet gets too thin. But, not sure if I'm keen to use Justin or vice versa as he may not want to deal with me. This basically closes that door - which is a shame. At the end of the day, bad service or "differences" aside, I want the best for my truck. Not sure if it's worth pulling the socks up and trying to make peace to work together? :eek: :dontknow: As I said, I just want the best kit for THE BATRAM. For what it's worth, yes, I will be building the engine up (forged pistons, etc) and building my engine inside to out. My aim is around 700rwhp but it would be nice (not essential) to be able to make more if I wanted/needed to in the future. The Batram will be a TH400/RC.

Thanks,
Carl

BatramEngine.jpg
As for the rest Bro Get over it it was a while ago,shit happens,everyone has bad days,but if u have read enough on here u will have to do a build on your mtr, by the way will be coming home soon will have to have a Aotearoa GTG.:D:rock:

Sounds good mate, not sure I understand your post though lol, you pissed?? My NZ MoPar forum has a casual every year (1st Sat of November) an overnight weekend deal. Booze, talking shit and MoPars, come along. ;)

Does Performance By Joe (PBJ) have a website?? All the links I've found while searching all come up blank pages and Google Error pages. Looking to perhaps by some goods off him but it's hard when he's hard to track down. Found a phone # but I would prefer to browse his website first. Also looking at DC Performance, their selection is good but their descriptions on parts seem a little vague. Will email........

Thanks,
Carl

Thanks to a heads up PM by a wise "ole" man, I think it's in my best interest to avoid PBJ.
I will email DC Performance for my needs. They have a good rep around here and a great selection of parts.

Carlwalski said:
Does Performance By Joe (PBJ) have a website?? All the links I've found while searching all come up blank pages and Google Error pages. Looking to perhaps by some goods off him but it's hard when he's hard to track down. Found a phone # but I would prefer to browse his website first. Also looking at DC Performance, their selection is good but their descriptions on parts seem a little vague. Will email........

Thanks,
Carl

Talk with Dan at DC.:rock: :rock: I have heard PBJ has left some members on here with a bad taste in their mouths:(

Che bra! Yup, just emailed him before about a few odds & ends. I've heard from at least 1 member of which I highly respect that he is one of the best with these trucks. Can't beat experience in this game and this guy has loads of it by the sounds of things. Can't wait for his email. :)

Carlwalski said:
Thanks to a heads up PM by a wise "ole" man, I think it's in my best interest to avoid PBJ.

Yeah, between my personal experience and seeing the results from someone else's project, I wholeheartedly agree.;)

Great

Carlwalski said:
Sounds good mate, not sure I understand your post though lol, you pissed?? My NZ MoPar forum has a casual every year (1st Sat of November) an overnight weekend deal. Booze, talking shit and MoPars, come along. ;)
Not even,lol,Yea cheers will do look u up when i get back.:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back