full exhaust and 93oct tune results

every truck is different...

but i noticed a significant difference in just the headers, mids, coils, wires, and then an even bigger difference with the above and the sct....

bearing in mind i've got 96k miles on the truck...so i'm intimately familiar with how it used to perform...

even my buddy's who've ridden/driven the car since the install said it made a huge difference...had to be at least 250 rwhp:D

i'm thinking the tune needs to be adjusted...

now, one thing i did...after i installed the mods, i reset the pcm...so it would be fresh...then drove my 500 mile break-in...then i installed the sct...

might try that...then reinstall your tune???

Guys, one thing to remember is that Headers will yield high rpm horsepower at the EXPENSE of low end TORQUE!!! TORQUE is what you feel "seat of the pants" and you lost some of that in the lower RPMs where you are used to spinning the tires. The same mods done on the Viper Car would be astonishing to say the least. Our trucks need the Torque to get the 5K+lbs moving. Good reason many hard hitter NA motors are running manifolds. You can also port the manifolds to match the heads and gaskets and have some nice flowing exhaust manifolds.:D

i knew that the shorties are for torque and the lth are for hp, but i did not know to what extreme. i was ellin my buddy yesterday while i took him for a ride, i could care less what my numbers are and what the mods have done on a dyno, i just want the tuck to be faster. kindof like what we are talkin about in the "lets talk engines" thread.

and again, i dod notregret the headers, i wanted them reguardless for looks, and sound. I knew it was a much debated mod, but more often than not, people say they felt a differencs.

so fromwhere i am now, will a ported TB an intake help out more now that i have the headers? i just plain dont have the cheese for heads and cam.

every truck is different...

but i noticed a significant difference in just the headers, mids, coils, wires, and then an even bigger difference with the above and the sct....

bearing in mind i've got 96k miles on the truck...so i'm intimately familiar with how it used to perform...

even my buddy's who've ridden/driven the car since the install said it made a huge difference...had to be at least 250 rwhp:D

i'm thinking the tune needs to be adjusted...

now, one thing i did...after i installed the mods, i reset the pcm...so it would be fresh...then drove my 500 mile break-in...then i installed the sct...

might try that...then reinstall your tune???

yeah, im still waitin to hear back from torrie, im sure he is very busy helpin guys a pcb. he sad he dyno tuned like 10 viper trucks yesterday. thats awsome:rock:

but i am planning on puttin tune back to stock, drivethe breakin period, and then reinstall and tr to find a reputable dyno gu with a datalog and then put the tune back on. we ill see if that helps.

do u mean put ur stock tune in on the sct? is that how you reset your PCM?

thanks guys, i think i am gettin closer to figurin this thing out, cuz there has got to be more honey in the jar on this one

i can tell you i never really felt a difference when i did any of the mods to my truck, but my timeslips improved so i was happy.

The bigger throttle mod does feel better only because of the size of the butterfly's. They are bigger and you loose vacuum quickly with very little opening of the plates this will give you better throttle response. But very little Hp increase if any.

Just my 2 cents

The bigger throttle mod does feel better only because of the size of the butterfly's. They are bigger and you loose vacuum quickly with very little opening of the plates this will give you better throttle response. But very little Hp increase if any.

Just my 2 cents

but throttle responce and low end tourqe/hp go hand and hand, no?

think im guna get my intake/TB port/polished this winter when the truk is put up.

for now, i want to focus on gettin these mods tuned in and my caltracs set perfectly, cuz i am guna make the trip to a 1/8 miloe track some time this year.

Bro you need to worry about your track slips......they don't lie ;) my truck feels like a slug in my opinion but others might differ when looking at what I run.....

Bro you need to worry about your track slips......they don't lie ;) my truck feels like a slug in my opinion but others might differ when looking at what I run.....

i agree, they dont lie, and ur totally right that that is the most important part of the story, but, i have never been to the tack with this truck, and when i do, it will not be often, unless i get addicted to it;). and im sure my times would have gone done with this mod. however a very small amount.

i am not trying to build a dyno queen or a track monster. all i want is a fast truck that looks killer,

and even though u are most deffinatly right on the slips, the fact remains that i should feel a seat of the pants difference with these two mods, especially at the same time.

i agree, they dont lie, and ur totally right that that is the most important part of the story, but, i have never been to the tack with this truck, and when i do, it will not be often, unless i get addicted to it;). and im sure my times would have gone done with this mod. however a very small amount.

i am not trying to build a dyno queen or a track monster. all i want is a fast truck that looks killer,

and even though u are most deffinatly right on the slips, the fact remains that i should feel a seat of the pants difference with these two mods, especially at the same time.

we'll let me say this.....i just installed a convertor and can't tell at all....but took it to the track the day after the install and ran .3 tenths faster ;)

so basically i have a high 12 sec truck but to me it still feels slow..... maybe our expectations on whats fast is too high, maybe these trucks just suck, maybe since i ride a 08 GSXR 1000 my truck is slow:dontknow: I dont know about you but i think i will only be happy with a mid to high 11 sec daily driver that still handles good.....dont thinki'll ever get that out mytruck

we'll let me say this.....i just installed a convertor and can't tell at all....but took it to the track the day after the install and ran .3 tenths faster ;)

so basically i have a high 12 sec truck but to me it still feels slow..... maybe our expectations on whats fast is too high, maybe these trucks just suck, maybe since i ride a 08 GSXR 1000 my truck is slow:dontknow: I dont know about you but i think i will only be happy with a mid to high 11 sec daily driver that still handles good.....dont thinki'll ever get that out mytruck

And when you get into the 11 second club youll be saying the same thing except youll be wanted to go 10. Trust and believe me i have been through this already with my honda lol. Once i made 680hp in a 2200 pd integra and went 10.93 and got kicked off the track that wasnt good enough anymore either. Its all a game and we ALWAYS want to go faster

hhahaha. ur right again, im suprized anything feels fast after a liter bike of that caliber. i used to have a 750 cc and holy shit:rock:

and that does make me feel a little better that you could not feel a difference of .3 atthe track. thats a pretty good gain in my eyes. at this point i really wish i had gone to the track to get some base numbers. oh well.

im gunna take the tune back to stock, drive the truck for a couple full tanks 500-600 miles so the pcm learns everything. thenhopefully find a reputable dyno guy around here with data log. and have toorie do his work on that. no matter what i want torrie to be the guy who does my tune. we had some problems with my tuner bfore i got the tune on that he made for me. i somehow installed a tune from the guy who i bought the tuner from, and in theprocess erased my stock tune. so i had to download and load my stock tune back on my truck. so somethin might have gotten lost i translation. and all that crap i just said was all my fault , torrie had nothing to do with the mistakes i made. and come to think of it, im not100% sur that the pcm i have has never been flashed. is there a tell tale way to know if my pm has been flashe?

And when you get into the 11 second club youll be saying the same thing except youll be wanted to go 10. Trust and believe me i have been through this already with my honda lol. Once i made 680hp in a 2200 pd integra and went 10.93 and got kicked off the track that wasnt good enough anymore either. Its all a game and we ALWAYS want to go faster

hahahaha, i was guna say exactly that until i read ur post, seem like we are never happy, never fast enough, never satisfied:D

Don't forget that our trucks are extremely sensitive to temperature. Did the outside temp shoot upwards after you installed the headers/tune? I know that there is a noticeable difference on my truck once temps get above 70 degrees.

Hi-
The pcm doesn't take more than a mile or two to "learn".
Most performance tunes will take into account that a performance exhaust has been installed.

Don't forget that our trucks are extremely sensitive to temperature. Did the outside temp shoot upwards after you installed the headers/tune? I know that there is a noticeable difference on my truck once temps get above 70 degrees.

yes, it was about 10-15 dgrees warmer outside, i mention that about the tire slippage "test". also i am prety sure the humidity was up.

do you think it would make that big of a difference?

Hi-
The pcm doesn't take more than a mile or two to "learn".
Most performance tunes will take into account that a performance exhaust has been installed.

yeah, torrie knew i just installed headers.

So what do u think i should do? should i put my stock tune back on and drive it a couple miles and then put the tuneback on, or should i go stock for more miles b4 i try the tune again, or shoud i just STFU and call it good.

and u asked if it was an 06, does that change anything? it is an 06 RC

I don't know if there is something wrong with your truck without dyno or track numbers.
oldcolt (this site) had a 2006 RC that wouldn't respond to anything we threw at it. The power picked up dramatically once it was fixed.
The camshaft in it was installed in the retarded position from brand new and the truck was really slow until that issue was resolved.
There are a few other guys with 2006s that think their trucks could be better. The GEN IIIs barely met emissions so it is possible a few of them were released with cams installed late so they would pass. Some of the 2006s seem to be normal (425 HP wheel, stick and 390 auto, bone stock).
Disconnect both cables from the battery and touch them together for a few seconds; That will do a hard reset on the ecu. Hook up your cables, start the truck and let it run for a minute or so until it knows what planet it's on. Shut it off, install Torrie's tune and then start it and take it out for a drive.
Get to a dyno or a 1/4 mile track when you can.

Ronnie

Last edited:
I don't know if there is something wrong with your truck without dyno or track numbers.
oldcolt (this site) had a 2006 RC that wouldn't respond to anything we threw at it. The power picked up dramatically once it was fixed.
The camshaft in it was installed in the retarded position from brand new and the truck was really slow until that issue was resolved.
There are a few other guys with 2006s that think their trucks could be better. The GEN IIIs barely met emissions so it is possible a few of them were released with cams installed late so they would pass. Some of the 2006s seem to be normal (425 HP wheel stick, 390 auto bone stock).
Disconnect both cables from the battery and touch them together for a few seconds; That will do a hard reset on the ecu. Hook up your cables, start the truck and let it run for a minute or so until it knows what planet it's on. Shut it off, install Torrie's tune and then start it and take it out for a drive.
Get to a dyno or a 1/4 mile track when you can.

good deal, thanks ronnie. i am asuming (and this coiuld be wishful thinking) that i got a good one, becouse when i got this 06 RC it was bone stock (that i know of that is), and it was considerablyfaster than my 05 QC with dc performance PCM and CAI withmaggie catback, 2 cat delete.

and you were talking about the problem ones. if im not mistaken the last factory SRT that rolle of the assembly line was a QC NR. i have a RC NR. are the people that hav these problems NR ownrs, cuz i assumed all the NR rolled of te assembly line in a row?

i will do as you said tommarrow or when it stops rainn. then after thet i will try to get tothe track/dyno. my mods are someof the mo.st popular ones so hopefully my numbers will be par for the course for the mods i have,

just a shot in the dark though. i live in centrel illinois, not too far above sealevel. do you think with the mods i have i should be blowin the tires off in first gear at any rpm range.

The RC NR I had was built in May 2006....the NRs were built as ordered....and mine had no power problems as it was the quickest Roe SC (non NO2) on the forum at one time...

The RC NR I had was built in May 2006....the NRs were built as ordered....and mine had no power problems as it was the quickest Roe SC (non NO2) on the forum at one time...

that makes me fel better. i dont think my truck is slow. it feels like it was about 50hp stronger than my qc, even with the mods the 05 had.

and it felt like it was about 500lbs lighter too:p

haha. hopefully i can find a good dyno guy with datalog and torrie can dohis magic. if i still think its slow, but he says it is par for the course for what mods i have, then i will feel better. the main problem i have is no matter what year or QC/RC, headers, HFC, and 93oct tune should make a "NOTIOCEABLE" difference. and i felt none. i am just trying to get others thoughts and think out of the box on this one so i can cover all my bases. again if torrie and ronnie feel i am runnin proper track times/hp/tq for my mods. i will at least feel better, but until then i just feel like i wasted $2200.

well thats not true, the headers do look effin badass, and sound wondeful at the mid-high range of rpm's

Dude at idle Rollin you should blow tires off, second gear at 30-40mph......blow the tires off!! Third chirp and hook.
This is my experience in a barely modded QC.

yes, it was about 10-15 dgrees warmer outside, i mention that about the tire slippage "test". also i am prety sure the humidity was up.

do you think it would make that big of a difference?

Absolutely! I think these trucks respond MORE to air temps than they do modifications. I feel like I have been given an extra 50 hp when we go from extreme summer (90+ degrees), to the middle of fall (60 degrees), and then when it gets around 40--goodbye tires.:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back