Head change, truck runs like sh*t

Well.....drivers side bank is not firing. Just put the valve cover back on, re-inspected the plug wires, secured everything, made sure everything was hooked up. Re-fired the truck let it run for about 2 mins. The passenger side headers were hot as shit (so my finger tells me) but I could physically wrap my hand around all 5 drivers side pipes. No fuses blown, no cables pinched. I'm now beginning to think maybe corrupted program as Marty suggested.

ZCx said:
from the spark plugs looks to be gettin fuel or not enough fuel??? could it have affected the coils some how???? the tune that is from the SCT that is?

Yes. I installed Roe's "low" tune as per Sean's instructions just to run around till I get it fully tuned. It did not want to run at all. I barely got the truck back home and re-installed the factory tune back into the truck and now it runs but will not accelerate and stumbles badly. I can understand since I have half a motor.

If my PCM is, in fact, corrupt. Will I need to buy a new one or can I just install a new tune into the SCT from Sean and flash that back into my truck?

Last edited:
the Passenger side will overheat because that one bank is carrying the entire engine load.

I'm sorry i just dont see a PCM/tune that was working fine, then better flowing heads installed and now the drivers side bank doesn't fire. I think you missed something. I'll go out to the truck and see if I can see anything that may cause a problem.

Is your radiator bubbling real bad like you have compression leaking into it?

spdrcrj said:
Yes. I installed Roe's "low" tune as per Sean's instructions just to run around till I get it fully tuned. It did not want to run at all. I barely got the truck back home and re-installed the factory tune back into the truck and now it runs but will not accelerate and stumbles badly. I can understand since I have half a motor.

If my PCM is, in fact, corrupt. Will I need to buy a new one or can I just install a new tune into the SCT from Sean and flash that back into my truck?

To properly reboot your base e.c.u. disconnect both battery cables from the battery then touch the disconnected positive and negative cables together for 10 seconds or so. Then you can go ahead and install one of the other tunes from Sean after hooking up the battery cables again, of course...

The SCT stores your factory tune to prevent one SCT controller being used on more than one vehicle.

bigike said:
the Passenger side will overheat because that one bank is carrying the entire engine load.

I'm sorry i just dont see a PCM/tune that was working fine, then better flowing heads installed and now the drivers side bank doesn't fire. I think you missed something. I'll go out to the truck and see if I can see anything that may cause a problem.

Is your radiator bubbling real bad like you have compression leaking into it?

Nope....installed a 170 thermostat and it seems to run cooler than before. Of course, in this state there cant be any real comparisons made.

I'll try the reboot Ron.

reboot bo, and now the fun part brother:D

your gonna have to somehow sneak a peak under the intake and make doubly sure the coils are making connection too:p

Stinker said:
reboot bo, and now the fun part brother:D

your gonna have to somehow sneak a peak under the intake and make doubly sure the coils are making connection too:p

I think Jim has virtually eliminated all mechanical items as being the culprit, when we talked on the phone. The demons could be lurking under the intake alright in the form of electrical mayhem. Maybe a cracked coil pack?

Last edited:
Stinker said:
bbbwwwaahhhahahahahhahaaa most definitly:rock: :D

Wouldn't have it any other way !!!
Orderly is just way too "Institutional". But I guess I could at least visit one!

Last edited:
in order for it to be a bad coil pack both would have to be bad, and both aat same time :dontknow: each coil pack controls cylinders on both banks...

Stanimal said:
in order for it to be a bad coil pack both would have to be bad, and both aat same time :dontknow: each coil pack controls cylinders on both banks...

Yeah, Jim mentioned that as well on the phone, and that is right; the likelihood of two packs taking a hit of some kind and failing is remote but something is wrong and I'm guessing electrical at this point. Maybe like Marty suggested, one whole side could be dead (without tripping codes I guess) and it could be an e.c.u. failure of some sort. It is a bit odd... But spark originates there and if it isn't the coil pack(s) it is what is controlling the coil pack.

Gotta go back to the dyno for a bit (those Shelby's/GT500s scream!)

Last edited:
I know that on my vec, if by chance the connector that connects the injectors from the pcm get wet, well then I gots myself a 5 cylinder until I dry them out

Well.....I'm done. I've done all I can. I'm getting a ride to work tomorrow and taking it to the stealership on tues. I'm tired, frustrated, and baffled. LOL

i really hope it works out, but not much we can do without seeing it in front of us.... best wishes man

Stanimal said:
i really hope it works out, but not much we can do without seeing it in front of us.... best wishes man

Stan, I'm more than appreciative for the help you guys have given.

my personal opinion is it is something ECU related, I.E. tune, connection, pinched wire something of those sorts.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back