Head change, truck runs like sh*t

I want to thank everyone who has replied for their help. It did not go unread or unheaded. I want to send a special thanks to Stinker, Ronnie, Stanimal, bigike, and ZCx for going that extra mile for me. Kinda feel like I let you guys down. Hopefully, it's something easy and I get get 'er to Sean and runnin with 500hp to the wheels. :rock:

Thank you again fellas. :beer:

anytime, i love helping those who ask and try to do something for themselves.... anytime you need us we are here :D

spdrcrj said:
I want to thank everyone who has replied for their help. It did not go unread or unheaded. I want to send a special thanks to Stinker, Ronnie, Stanimal, bigike, and ZCx for going that extra mile for me. Kinda feel like I let you guys down. Hopefully, it's something easy and I get get 'er to Sean and runnin with 500hp to the wheels. :rock:

Thank you again fellas. :beer:

candy ass@! get back out there:p

LOLOL dude I jsut wish we coulda been more help, but in all straight forward honesty?

Ya lastet longer than I woulda:rock:

I have seen guys beat themselves up for days, trying to find a wiring problem, and it come down to one single wire, pinched, down in the wireloom where it makes no sense how it got done:confused:

You done good bo, I personally am very proud of you:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
and thats no BS:rock:

:rock: :rock: :rock: yep what they said :rock: :rock: :rock:

Will do Smoke. I'll post as soon as I find out. Signing out for tonight all. hmmm...did I check that one connection? :p

LET DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELL NO YOU MY MILITARY BROTHER TACKLED A HEAD SWAP IN A MILITARY HOBBY SHOP ON A FLIPPIN VIPER HAVING NEVER TAKEN VALVE COVERS OFF BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND IT RUNS................................kind of.

Hey it is my pleasure, this ain't a Chevy, ford or 4,000 hp Diesel so it's not in my realm of expertise but it's a engine and they all work the same. Hope you stick to it and fix it.

Anytime! THAT is what Forums like this should be for!
Your truck will be running again soon.
You may have stumbled on a gas saving idea running on 5 ;)

Last edited:
Now you just need to find out which part of the fire triangle you are missing

Air
Fuel
Heat.

Air-intake valves TB its good because the passenger side works.
Fuels- get a noid lite VERY CHEAP AT AUTO ZONE plug it in and see if its getting a signal, If not its a computer or wiring problem

Heat- Ignition and or Compression. You need to test the spark and compression. IF YOU HAVE A TIMING LIGHT (THE HOBBY SHOP HAS ONE) JUST CLAMP IT ON EACH PLUG WIRE.

If you have the fire triangle complete a engine will run......................... Now get back to work and fix this thing.

I though I had a great idea...................... that the 2 banks were controlled separately out of the pcm. I unplugged the two connectors that goto the engine. Each plug removal killed the engine.

bigike said:
Now you just need to find out which part of the fire triangle you are missing

Air
Fuel
Heat.

Air-intake valves TB its good because the passenger side works.
Fuels- get a noid lite VERY CHEAP AT AUTO ZONE plug it in and see if its getting a signal, If not its a computer or wiring problem

Heat- Ignition and or Compression. You need to test the spark and compression. IF YOU HAVE A TIMING LIGHT (THE HOBBY SHOP HAS ONE) JUST CLAMP IT ON EACH PLUG WIRE.

If you have the fire triangle complete a engine will run......................... Now get back to work and fix this thing.

I though I had a great idea...................... that the 2 banks were controlled separately out of the pcm. I unplugged the two connectors that goto the engine. Each plug removal killed the engine.

Where were the plugs you removed Ike? On the PCM or at the motor and if at the motor, where are they located?

I would love to continue working this puzzle but it is my only means of transportation now. In preparation for retirement (I've since changed my mind thanks to this wonderful economy) I whittled my number of rides down to the 10. If the truck is at the dealer, I'll be renting a car so I can get to work.

Spoke to Sean at Roe and he says the only thing that is bank specific are the O2 sensors.

so O2 sensor is the prob?????

not sure. As soon as I left the hobby shop, it did kick a 0135 code (voltage too high 1/1). I have an 0800 appt tomorrow at the dealer to we'll find out then I guess. The fuse for the O2's is good btw.

When was the last time you check for any new codes. I have had mine throw a code without a check engine light. Just do it to see if there is one.

dealer will look at your truck with the mods????

:rock: :rock: :rock:
took my '02 Dakota in for an O2 code & they threw a fit over a TB spacer that was on it i was tryin. that was fun :rock: :rock: :rock:

there are probably more "good/work with ya" dealers than not. but the stories sure are fun:marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow:

You should try a Fuel guage and a vacuum guage first.... I would avoid going to the dealer, even though I work at one... It seems that their is only a handfull of good techs left that really know their shit and not just throw parts..

Took the truck to the dealer today and they told me my right bank O2 sensor was shorting out and that it could cause a no-fire condition in the right bank of cylinders. They are going to replace the O2, route the wire so it doesnt get damaged and see if that fixes it. Sean did tell me that the O2's were the only "bank specific" pieces so my fingers are crossed.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back