Heads and Cam, Custom Intake.....coming

Did anyone flow test the Gen IV heads prior to porting? I know my Gen IV heads/intake conversion needs a cam in a big way, as the stocker is holding it all back. Only considering hyd roller, though.

I believe they are around 320 cfm (at about .650 lift) on the intake side stock. Similar to an unported Striker, but with better mid-range numbers.

I believe they are around 320 cfm (at about .650 lift) on the intake side stock. Similar to an unported Striker, but with better mid-range numbers.

Thank you. I'm about to pull the trigger on having Justin install a custom cam for me. Hoping for another 60hp/60tq out of the combo.

Thank you. I'm about to pull the trigger on having Justin install a custom cam for me. Hoping for another 60hp/60tq out of the combo.

The new cam will be the ticket! How is your truck running otherwise?

Where did you find these? I only see a smaller diameter available and also need a larger header.

Thanks.

I called ARH directly and told them what we were doing. These 1 7/8 race tubes are a one of a kind set they made for me, at a very reasonable price, with flanges to fit the Gen IV head. See Post # 34 of this thread. Also the price was $1,855 plus shipping.

Last edited:
What did the intake cost? And do they accept our stock injectors

Justin is getting this at his cost ($1,030) and he will be fabricating the twin mechanical Throttle bodies for me. Remember these are for the Gen IV heads and will not work on your Gen III heads. I don't know about the injectors, but I think they might be in the head? Someone?:dontknow:

Justin is getting this at his cost ($1,030) and he will be fabricating the twin mechanical Throttle bodies for me. Remember these are for the Gen IV heads and will not work on your Gen III heads. I don't know about the injectors, but I think they might be in the head? Someone?:dontknow:

Understand that, was just curious what they were charging for the plastic manifolds. Did you decide on the gen v for flow or just so it'd stay cooler than the alum. Intake?

The new cam will be the ticket! How is your truck running otherwise?

Truck is running wonderfully... which is the only reason it has taken me 18 months to reconsider a cam. But I agree with you 100%... and always felt that way.

I'm hoping for numbers very similar to yours.

I can't answer the question about the injectors or injector bosses... I didn't install my Gen IV heads myself. I know I got new ones and in the Mopar Gen IV conversion, it required new injector harnesses to be wired in (which was not a big deal). But that was based on the Gen IV intake/head combo I'm running and may not be specific to the Gen IV heads themselves.

Understand that, was just curious what they were charging for the plastic manifolds. Did you decide on the gen v for flow or just so it'd stay cooler than the alum. Intake?

Yes after talking with Justin, Dan Cragin from DC Perf., Dale from Arrow Engines, the flow on the Gen V is superior to a ported Gen IV, plus the advantage of less weight and the heat soak factor made it the best choice for me. It also helps with mid range torque. Greg Good will be doing some porting (as much as the plastic allows) along with a port match.:rock:

Cool, and you're still expecting it to be back together by the end of the year?

Hopefully, I know I won't make the last test and tune at Famoso (first weekend in Nov.) but I should be ready to go in Feb. when they open up again. Once the heads and intake are done, then they will be shipped out here to A&C Performance and I will take the truck down there and we will pull the engine, disassemble and after the clean-up hone (probably no bore) then the 11:1 pistons will be ordered along with the rods. Pistons take from 3-5 weeks for a custom size, while those are ordered we will turn the crank journals down to 2" to use chevy bearings, improve the bottom end oiling, order the cam and then assembly will begin. Still considering Titanium rods for the ultimate NA build (should rev really quick). Still discussing cam specs with Greg Good and Chris Jensen, we're close to deciding on 244-252 with .700 lift., solid roller.

Last edited:
Hopefully, I know I won't make the last test and tune at Famoso (first weekend in Nov.) but I should be ready to go in Feb. when they open up again. Once the heads and intake are done, then they will be shipped out here to A&C Performance and I will take the truck down there and we will pull the engine, disassemble and after the clean-up hone (probably no bore) then the 11:1 pistons will be ordered along with the rods. Pistons take from 3-5 weeks for a custom size, while those are ordered we will turn the crank journals down to 2" to use chevy bearings, improve the bottom end oiling, order the cam and then assembly will begin. Still considering Titanium rods for the ultimate NA build (should rev really quick). Still discussing cam specs with Greg Good and Chris Jensen, we're close to deciding on 244-252 with .700 lift., solid roller.
If I have some headers installed by nov I will try to make the last test and tune.

I always planned on making your first run after build, timeline sounds good for me.

Get it together and head out this way, it'll give you plenty of break in time and we run year round:D

You aren't worried about over camming it?

You aren't worried about over camming it?

No, both Greg Good and Chris Jensen are aware of my intended use for the truck....we want the maximum "reliable" NA power and still be streetable. I told them I would be happy with 1,000 rpm idle (it can be a little lumpy, but I will still claim stock to the Lightning boys!) , and be able to drive around town at say 2,000 rpm minimum in each gear. Right now my stock engine idles at about 700 rpm, and doesn't like to be driven at under 1,500 rpm. The main 2 advantages of the solid roller cam over a Hydraulic roller (according to Greg and Chris) is there will be an extra 30 ftlbs of torque across the RPM range and it will act like a 10 degree milder duration (with the same specs) because of the ramp design and the lifter not collapsing. I know it will be a slight hassle to have to set the rockers from time to time, but Greg said the newer rockers are better about holding their setting. Believe me I have thought long and hard about this build, as I have had radical race cars on the street before and they're no fun.:rock:

It's all about the cam profile (which Greg is handling) and the tune (which Chris is handling)!

Last edited:
I just want to say a big THANKS a little ahead of time to the many Viper Field experts that have given me advice, answered countless questions, done research and have always spent time with me on the phone. Thanks to:
Greg Good
Justin @ JMB
Todd Abrams @ A&C Performance
Dan Cragen @ Specialty Performance
Chris Jensen
Dale @ Arrow Engines
Scott @ Venomous 1 Racing
Tony @ JTS Venom

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details