Into the wild blue yonder..........

Bone said:
That is most likely a requirement for your Private Pilot, but not the definition of a cross-country flight.

True, a cross-country can be considered a differnt airport than the one departed from.
For my training, It will be 3 airports with the furthest one being greater than 50 miles from the one I departed from.

Bone, you fly?

wesalbert said:
Instructor said I did good and not to worry about the first one. He said the first one doesn't count :p

He is right with the one caveat..."if there is a second."

Went up again this morning. Todays goal was talking with ATC (Air Traffic Control). Up until this point, I have been flying out of a non controlled airport.
We went over some ground school about who to call, when to call and what the heck do I say.
Then after my plane came back (someone else took it :dontknow: ) off to Boca Raton we went. It was a short flight. Basically by the time I took off from Lantana, I was tuning to check the weather at Boca, then talking to the tower.
Called Boca on the radio, told him who I was, where I was, and what I wanted to do. No problem there. Got cleared to come straight in Rwy 23. So had my first straight in approach. Not bad, but there was a 90 degree crosswind (straight into the side of the airplane). It was pretty quite until I was about 2 miles from the airport. I could hear the tower stacking planes behind me. I had 2 following me in, the one behind me being faster. As I am coming up to the runway I notice im a little fast, not much but a little. The plane "floats" a little bit and the guy in the tower comes on the radio with an attitude and says "Don't hold it sir, land it" WTF? Really? It is my fault you stacked a plane that has an approach speed that is more than my cruising speed? Am pretty much like whatever at the point. Tower tells me to exit the runway at the next taxiway so I do.
I go back around and call the tower for clearance to take off. No problem there. Cleared for takeoff. So off I go... then get a call from the tower when I am up and almost at the end of the runway saying "Next time maintain runway heading".. At that point I just say "will do" :dontknow: I look out my window and I am of the centerline of the runway, but by no means way off to the side. Even my instructor didn't think we were "way off" as this guy seemed to make it.
We stayed in the pattern (around the airport) for one more landing. The tower was directing a couple more planes in as I was going around. The second landing was better (no remarks from the tower). Taxied back around for another take off. Took off and left his airspace.
Next time we are going to another airport south of that one with more runways and taxiways. (more talking) also has a seperate tower and ground frequencys on the radio. I have been told that they are ALOT nicer down there. My instructor said I will notice a night and day difference.

find a airport with a ground school to do practice in and around. control will be much more forgiving and informative. the thing u will learn soon enough is when you call a tower u will know what they are going to say before they say it. i avoid controlled airspace as much as possible whenever i can go flying. nothing like being told to come use the white phone and call the tower, remember they record all radio and a letter from the FAA just plane sucks :D

wesalbert said:
Went up again this morning. Todays goal was talking with ATC (Air Traffic Control). Up until this point, I have been flying out of a non controlled airport.
We went over some ground school about who to call, when to call and what the heck do I say.
Then after my plane came back (someone else took it :dontknow: ) off to Boca Raton we went. It was a short flight. Basically by the time I took off from Lantana, I was tuning to check the weather at Boca, then talking to the tower.
Called Boca on the radio, told him who I was, where I was, and what I wanted to do. No problem there. Got cleared to come straight in Rwy 23. So had my first straight in approach. Not bad, but there was a 90 degree crosswind (straight into the side of the airplane). It was pretty quite until I was about 2 miles from the airport. I could hear the tower stacking planes behind me. I had 2 following me in, the one behind me being faster. As I am coming up to the runway I notice im a little fast, not much but a little. The plane "floats" a little bit and the guy in the tower comes on the radio with an attitude and says "Don't hold it sir, land it" WTF? Really? It is my fault you stacked a plane that has an approach speed that is more than my cruising speed? Am pretty much like whatever at the point. Tower tells me to exit the runway at the next taxiway so I do.
I go back around and call the tower for clearance to take off. No problem there. Cleared for takeoff. So off I go... then get a call from the tower when I am up and almost at the end of the runway saying "Next time maintain runway heading".. At that point I just say "will do" :dontknow: I look out my window and I am of the centerline of the runway, but by no means way off to the side. Even my instructor didn't think we were "way off" as this guy seemed to make it.
We stayed in the pattern (around the airport) for one more landing. The tower was directing a couple more planes in as I was going around. The second landing was better (no remarks from the tower). Taxied back around for another take off. Took off and left his airspace.
Next time we are going to another airport south of that one with more runways and taxiways. (more talking) also has a seperate tower and ground frequencys on the radio. I have been told that they are ALOT nicer down there. My instructor said I will notice a night and day difference.

will you be tought ground ops? hold shorts and stuff?
ATC sounds like a dumbass. in SCH where i did my first 4 we had atc, but i had no contact with them.

The next airport we go to has flight schools so thats probably why they are alot nicer. Not sure what the point of flying to the one today really was. Guess just for getting my feet wet with ATC since there is one runway and not may taxiways.
I understand that Boca is mainy jet traffic (private and charters), but there are alot of prop planes there as well. I know it can get busy during holidays, but that is why I went flying today instead of my usual Sundays. Everyone would be leaving Boca then.
I am aware that the radio is recorded. I have pulled my audio from liveatc and have been reviewing it. :D And the dreaded phone calls to the tower. Been warned about those as well. Haven't been told what they are really about though :dontknow: Are they just a pissing match between you and the tower, or more like the tower saying "im reporting you to the FAA and here is a case number?"

scoobert said:
will you be tought ground ops? hold shorts and stuff?
Yea we went over this previously and then again today for about an hour before we went up.
That was my biggest thing. Not knowing what to say and not knowing the meanings of things ATC says for me to do.
Main thing to remember.... they are human too. Good example was my first call into boca. He cleared me in for Rwy 5, then came back and corrected it to Rwy 23. Same runway, just totally different ends.

the key thing about ATC i got, the pilot has the last say, every time.
so you can tell them, no this and no that.
actually i was referring to LAHSO.

scoobert said:
actually i was referring to LAHSO.

Yea thats in Chapter 4 of the AIM if I remember correctly. That reminds me. It expires in Jan. Gonna need to get me another one.

scoobert said:
the key thing about ATC i got, the pilot has the last say, every time.
so you can tell them, no this and no that.

You can tell them no but dont get into a pissing match, you will loose.

wesalbert said:
True, a cross-country can be considered a differnt airport than the one departed from.
For my training, It will be 3 airports with the furthest one being greater than 50 miles from the one I departed from.

Bone, you fly?

Yes, for the Georgia Air National Guard full-time. Flew, F-15s, B-1Bs, and now E-8C JSTARS. Enjoy it very much.

I don't fly civilian too much, maybe a few times a year, just due to lacking the free time to do so. I have Single Engine land, Multi-engine land, Instrument, and Commercial ratings, along with a few type ratings. Also, I have my Certified Flight instructor/Certified Flight instructor Instrument (CFI/II) Multiengine certificate - renewed it last month. So I am fully qualified to fly and teach. I retire in a year and have been looking at some of the Majors like Delta in ATL. Don't know if I will go that route or not. Would like to spend time at home with my family however. My military deployments have been tough on the family.

Bone said:
Yes, for the Georgia Air National Guard full-time. Flew, F-15s, B-1Bs, and now E-8C JSTARS. Enjoy it very much.

I don't fly civilian too much, maybe a few times a year, just due to lacking the free time to do so. I have Single Engine land, Multi-engine land, Instrument, and Commercial ratings, along with a few type ratings. Also, I have my Certified Flight instructor/Certified Flight instructor Instrument (CFI/II) Multiengine certificate - renewed it last month. So I am fully qualified to fly and teach. I retire in a year and have been looking at some of the Majors like Delta in ATL. Don't know if I will go that route or not. Would like to spend time at home with my family however. My military deployments have been tough on the family.

become a trainer, that does take tons of patience. i could never do it myself.

The front moved through early, so I'm going to go flying today. Its been like 3 weeks since I have been. Might practice some landings and then head to another airport.
As of tomorrow, I will have been flying for a year. Its funny reading through some of the earlier posts. I had no clue how expensive this would get :p
This Christmas, the neighbor that go me into this, bought me some more hours :rock:

Man! I wish I had a neighbor like that!! The closest I ever got to flying is when I was in the Air Force and made Airman of the month.... I got to ride in an F-16. We left Homestead Air Reserve Base and made it to McDill in Tampa in 15 min. What a rush!!!!

good deal:rock::rock::rock:

do the planes have heaters????

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back