Into the wild blue yonder..........

You should be landing by now, unless weather has not allowed.

18 mph first flight, 35 third, the last flight was a new instructor that wanted to see what i had learnt. in the mean time i didnt learn anything. i was kinda agitated that for an entire flight i lernt nothing new.

wesalbert said:
So for Christmas my neighbor got me my pilot log, books and first hour. :rock: I have been wanting to do this for some time now (oh since I was a kid) but have been somewhat serious about it the last few years since meeting my neighbor who is a pilot. This was the kick in the butt I needed.
Today I went for my first lesson and my first logged flight.

d40d078b.jpg

46ed096c.jpg
Me and my neighbor dont exchange christmas gifts. . He is jewish and has a mail order bride.

scoobert said:
where do i mail order one of those?
I dont know another guy i know his father got one too. . Aren't you young? I think those are for when your old

Well, no flying this past weekend :( BUT to make up for it, going on my first night flight Wed night. I can't wait. :elefant:

wesalbert said:
Well, no flying this past weekend :( BUT to make up for it, going on my first night flight Wed night. I can't wait. :elefant:

One of the biggest surprises I have had while flying was when I flew out over the ocean on a moonless night. Talk about black...wow.
Makes you go to your instruments while flying VFR.

Good luck Wes.

Lee

CarolinaSRT10 said:
One of the biggest surprises I have had while flying was when I flew out over the ocean on a moonless night. Talk about black...wow.
Makes you go to your instruments while flying VFR.

Good luck Wes.

Lee

Thats exactly what my instructor said. He was like, "wait unitl we go out over the ocean"

nope, think we are going to just do night take offs and landings. I need 10 of them. Should be able to knock all of them out in a couple hours.

There are headlights, they just don't work unless your really close to the ground. OR blind you in a cloud :D
Just looked at the weather for Wed night, might not happen. Thunderstorms in the area.

well, we did go tonight. Had to wait for a storm to roll by. I can't tell you what a different experience that was.
First, I kept thinking I was lower than I actually was. Once I got over that, we went out over the ocean to see if I would become disorentated. Nope, to many clouds. Ended up just flying around for a bit, then went to go do some landings.
On the first one, I came in to high and fast. Ended up porpoising. Basically bounced it. A porpoise will bounce and go up, bounce and go up and keep doing this. Most of the time getting worse. After the second bounce, gave it power and went around to try again.
The rest of them (6-7) maybe were good. Just took a bit to figure out where the runway was :D
Instructor said I did good and not to worry about the first one. He said the first one doesn't count :p
When I do my night cross country the other 3 will be taken care of, so I will then have my 10 total night landings.

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

sounds like a great time.:rock:

whats considered cross country????

3 different airports with the longest leg being more than 50 miles I believe.

Per title 14 of the code of federal regulations (14 CFR), aka the Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs), part 61, section 1.b.3[4] (3) Cross-country time means--
  • Except as provided in paragraphs (b)(3)(ii) through (b)(3)(vi) of this section, time acquired during a flight--
    • Conducted by a person who holds a pilot certificate;
    • Conducted in an aircraft;
    • That includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure; and
    • That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.
  • For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements (except for a rotorcraft category rating), for a private pilot certificate (except for a powered parachute category rating), a commercial pilot certificate, or an instrument rating, or for the purpose of exercising recreational pilot privileges (except in a rotorcraft) under Sec. 61.101(c), time acquired during a flight--
    • Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;
    • That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
    • That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.
  • For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements for a sport pilot certificate (except for powered parachute privileges), time acquired during a flight conducted in an appropriate aircraft that-
    • Includes a point of landing at least a straight line distance of more than 25 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
    • Involves, as applicable, the use of dead reckoning; pilotage; electronic navigation aids; radio aids; or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.
  • For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements for a sport pilot certificate with powered parachute privileges or a private pilot certificate with a powered parachute category rating, time acquired during a flight conducted in an appropriate aircraft that -
    • Includes a point of landing at least a straight line distance of more than 15 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
    • Involves, as applicable, the use of dead reckoning; pilotage; electronic navigation aids; radio aids; or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.
  • For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements for any pilot certificate with a rotorcraft category rating or an instrument-helicopter rating, or for the purpose of exercising recreational pilot privileges, in a rotorcraft, under Sec. 61.101(c), time acquired during a flight--
    • That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 25 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
  • For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements for an airline transport pilot certificate (except with a rotorcraft category rating), time acquired during a flight--
    • That is at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
    • That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems.
  • For a military pilot who qualifies for a commercial pilot certificate (except with a rotorcraft category rating) under Sec. 61.73 of this part, time acquired during a flight--
    • That is at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
    • That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems.

wesalbert said:
3 different airports with the longest leg being more than 50 miles I believe.

That is most likely a requirement for your Private Pilot, but not the definition of a cross-country flight.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back