Lowered the QC = poor ride. Suggestions to fix...

Front bump stops removed and the rear ones that were supplied with the kit are chopped right down.

The problem isn't the front, its the rear.
I understand that a lowered car is never going to be as good as a stock, there is always a comprimise but this is nothing short of lethal!

Its like the truck is so soft since I've lowered it, which I can't understand as the springs are the same.

Perhaps these new leaf springs, coupled with some decent dampers is the solution.

We always preferred longer, spring under, setups for wheelin' because it was generally accepted that spring under was softer and articulated better than spring over.

The other issue I get is horrendous wheel hop now ... any ideas how to cure that too?

Hold up. Do those belltech springs work on a regular cab too? If so I'm ordering a set tonight. Much rather have lowering leaf packs instead of 3" drop blocks!!

Hi, i wouldnt do a flip kit and go with a Belltech leaf spring that still sits on top of the axle (cost about 360$) and gives you a 3" to 3,5" lowéring.
I would Support this with new Shocks (e.g. QA1) which are adjustable.

With this Setup you have a comfy but stiff ride and as mentioned before, i would upgrade to poly bushings (which are in the belltech leafsprings already)

All the best

Arne

Anre have you run these, because I have had a set here for two years, installed them 5 times and the customers come back wanting them off because the ride so rough, actually took them to the scrap yard a week ago, could not give them away?:dontknow:

What has happened is nothing, you are still on the same spring, just now your geometry has changed up a bit, the truck is still moving up and down as much as it did before you lowered it, but now you have less travel

been thru it 100 times at least, the springs on the rear of the qc are undersprung to a degree, once you use a flip kit, you run out of suspension travel,

ran thru this for two years with outnumbered whom helped us design ours, but with one person its fine, two your ok, put anyone in the rear seat, or in the bed of the truck your bottoming out, removing the spare tire and the hitch helps a huge amount,

but the best solution is to get helper air bags, we have installed a number of them , less than $300 and your good, keep 20 psi in the bags and the ride is totally changed

but basically with a flip the end result is you run out of travel, our adjustable shocks do help, but helper air bags is the best option

if you decide to c notch, then basically it will still bounce, you will just have more travel

Anre have you run these, because I have had a set here for two years, installed them 5 times and the customers come back wanting them off because the ride so rough, actually took them to the scrap yard a week ago, could not give them away?:dontknow:

Hi Tony,

yes, we have two trucks running them here. 1 with 3" and 1 with 3.5" lowering.
As mentioned by everyone before, a lowered truck means that the Ride comfort
changes. Our experience is that with the Belltech in combination with Strange or QA1 shocks it seems the best mix between a sporty and comfy ride
without those bottoming out problem.

Arne

Thanks for all the feeedback.
I agree with you that the springs haven't changed but there must be some form of ratio change here as the truck most definitely wasn't a bucking broncho before I lowered it.

Air ride sounds interesting. Can you send me some more details on it?

I think a contributing factor is the fact that the std shocks are on drop bars and I'm sure that's reduced the damping factor significantly. Although it feels more spring than dampers, I'm sure some aftermarket dampers will help a fair chunk.

So my options are -

Get the damper I've had specced made and see what it's like
Air ride it
Get the dampers and the other leaf springs in conjunction and accept that it might be a harsh ride.

As I'm in the UK, shipping and import tax really does kill me so when I buy stuff, I like to do it in 1 go so that I'm not getting a constant sting... I can build myself up to 1 big sting though if I think it'll be worth it!!

Thanks

I was kinda joking with the air ride due to the fact that is a major task..
This is what I just did to my truck but I'm going to guess that it's a lot more work than you are wanting to do.
You have to completely revamp you're suspension. A-Arms, get rid of the leaf springs, and add a 4-link of some sort. Add compressors, tank, valves.. etc..

c notch, helper air bags and caltracs... my truck rides like stock and I don't have to hold my breath on every bump...

Besides Caltracs.... have you addressed your pinion angle?!? That much of a drop would change it. -2 deg. would be ideal.

Here's the thing - I've done a manual conversion and have a 1 piece ally prop.
Another issue is vibration at high speed. I had the prop re balanced and that helped a huge amount. I checked my pinion angle - the output shaft on the box is pointing down 4 degrees. The pinion on the diff is pointing up 3.8 degrees so in theory the pinion angle is correct.
I still get a vibration / resonation between 85-100mph which is frustrating.
I'm sure the angle up on the pinion isn't helping the wheel hop.

My new shocks should be with me early next week. Hopefully they will cure a lot of the issues I'm having.

whats the angle of the engine w/manal tranny supossed to????:dontknow:

The 3.8 is to much. What happens is when you are getting on the gas the rear end torques up making the pinion angle alot more than 3.8 hence the vibration. That's why alot of ppl run negative also that way once it torques up pinion angle is close to correct. The qc have this problem more the the rc because no traction system plus soft leaf springs let's rear dif move more. Just my 2 cents but I would play with pinion angle some more see where that gets you.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back