My Weight Reduction

iraqivet01 said:
If your going to run it on the track, you have to have the overflow bottle.
i do have an over flow but it koncked it down to a 20 oz bottle off jegs

TXRamSRT10 said:
Any updates on weight Tooloe, have you gone to the scale?
no sir have not been busy apparently i have family coming in from mississippi that i din't know about lol

Silverback said:
First off I'm going to define a couple terms so everyone knows what I'm talking about.

Quick - This is how quickly you accelerate. A good indicator of this is the 60 foot times.

Fast - This is an indicator of speed.

Taking weight off of these trucks will increase your trap speed in the quarter mile, but it may not be quicker.

The limiting factor on these trucks is traction. And it does not do a bit of good to increase HP if you cannot put it to the ground. This is a plain and simple fact and people need to realize it.

Here is an example of quickness. Let's look at a T/F dragster. He hits the throttle and goes 50 to 60 feet and smokes the tires. He let's off and coasts the rest of the way. His time may be in the 10's with a speed of 80 MPH. His time is way better than our trucks due to it being quick. He hit a speed in 50 feet that our trucks reach beyond the 1/8 mile mark.

So work on traction and once you have that mastered, start adding more HP.

Completely understood, and 100% correct, HOWEVER this applies to straight drag racing only. I want my truck lighter so when i'm doing my daily drivin it's faster/quicker, whatever on the street. When I decide to merge on 35 North, I want the thing to get up and move. Also, when I show up to the track, I honestly dont give a crap about pure track times, reaction time, 60 ft, dont care. What I care about is the trap speed. That shows if your mill is producing. I know, i'm the weird abnormal one here, but thats me, and thats why I want my truck as light as possible at all other costs this side of safety.

robwclark said:
Completely understood, and 100% correct, HOWEVER this applies to straight drag racing only. I want my truck lighter so when i'm doing my daily drivin it's faster/quicker, whatever on the street. When I decide to merge on 35 North, I want the thing to get up and move. Also, when I show up to the track, I honestly dont give a crap about pure track times, reaction time, 60 ft, dont care. What I care about is the trap speed. That shows if your mill is producing. I know, i'm the weird abnormal one here, but thats me, and thats why I want my truck as light as possible at all other costs this side of safety.

Then you missed what I was trying to get across. Lighter does not equal quicker. Lighter will get you a higher trap speed.

Silverback said:
Then you missed what I was trying to get across. Lighter does not equal quicker. Lighter will get you a higher trap speed.
My man. I didn't miss a Dam thing. As I said I agree with your post 100% as long as were talking at the track. On the street lighter equals quicker, Period. At the track absolutely not, your exactly right. Your the one that missed my point my man.

robwclark said:
My man. I didn't miss a Dam thing. As I said I agree with your post 100% as long as were talking at the track. On the street lighter equals quicker, Period. At the track absolutely not, your exactly right. Your the one that missed my point my man.

If you are talking about being past the point of being traction limited, you are correct. Lighter does allow you to accelerate quicker, hence the higher trap speeds at the track.

Silverback said:
If you are talking about being past the point of being traction limited, you are correct. Lighter does allow you to accelerate quicker, hence the higher trap speeds at the track.
As he said the lighter the truck the less traction due to less frictional force between the tire and the pavement.The same holds true even on the highway. At highway speeds loss of traction upon acceleration is a much more dangerous thing. If I had lot$$$ of it I would make an entire CF body and panels.
It still would be a good experiment to lighten up one of these trucks and see actually what happens.:) Good Luck!

Last edited:
so did you weigh it yet? i would love to see one that weighed 4,000lbs. i am curious if that's possible.
anyone know what the fenders weigh?

scoobert said:
so did you weigh it yet? i would love to see one that weighed 4,000lbs. i am curious if that's possible.
anyone know what the fenders weigh?
Front fenders are not that heavy, I have fiberglass front fenders and I think I saved about 7 lbs per side.

Trainman said:
Front fenders are not that heavy, I have fiberglass front fenders and I think I saved about 7 lbs per side.
i would be more intersted in the doors being re made i'm sure that if you took off the door panel there is alot of material tht can be removed

Tooloe, The more weight you take off these trucks the faster and quicker you will be, believe me traction will not be a problem.

Trainman said:

fiberglass is heavy! i was thinking carbon fiber, hood as well. if i could get the truck to 4000lbs i would never need a fast car. the viper is only 700 lighter then that. and yes the doors, not sure how that would affect safety.

how about carbon roof? ask BMW. sure that's 80lbs. probably snip out the floor pans, 30 per side. i am not sure how hard carbon fiber is to work with. could dump both seats, 40? each. gotta get weight off the nose. wonder if you could shift the engine back any more?

Tooloe said:
Untitled-2copy.jpg

you got to finish that bumper.

scoobert said:
fiberglass is heavy! i was thinking carbon fiber, hood as well. if i could get the truck to 4000lbs i would never need a fast car. the viper is only 700 lighter then that. and yes the doors, not sure how that would affect safety.

how about carbon roof? ask BMW. sure that's 80lbs. probably snip out the floor pans, 30 per side. i am not sure how hard carbon fiber is to work with. could dump both seats, 40? each. gotta get weight off the nose. wonder if you could shift the engine back any more?
yes you can shift the engine back firewall needs modified we moved mine back 4 inches!!!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back