New Rear axle info,,,,,Group buy?

I appreciate all the information on everything guys, If anyone wants anything done differntly just let me know, I will try to get us the best price I possibly can.

If Begood and wazzup wants a pink powder coated axle with nice daisys on the cover, I will do my best:D

Ya'll jsut let me know

I haven't been following the off-road stuff real close that last couple of years. But I know that the E-Locker that is made by eaton came out. Same principle as the ARB but is engaged electronicly, no air lines or compressor. Also while the ARB is totally open when unlocked the E-Locker is a gear driven limited splip when unlocked.

I have 4 ABR lockers and love them, wouldn't be with out them for off road......

Hey if ya want the OX cable locker is probably still out their,......LOL

Rear detroits are very user friendly....have run them in the front and back of many 4x4's, no issues....only real concern is they have a tendency to unload about once every 3 months.....it's loud, your throat drops in your stomach, and there is an immediate lane change :D

LOL on Ox's, they suk ballzzz :burnout:

Eaton sounds like a good alternative, but haven't used one :rock:

Stinker, I really think you are on the right track with the Detroit Locker. It seems to be the best of both worlds and the most practical approach. My comments asking for all of the negatives were in the interest of being sure that no one was surprised after the install.

I'm leaning hard toward your fix....who will install for me? Ya think, MoParMudder might come down for a weekend and do it for me??? Its warmer here than up where he is!

I have a powerlock in my Duster, and while it is good, there have been times during burnouts where you could see both tires were not turning exactly the same speed. With the Detroit Locker when you are on the gas both rear tires are going to be turning the exact same speed no matter what! However like Big Perm said sometimes while driving down the road it will unlock and quickly lock back up, when it does this it makes a pretty good "Bang" sound. This is not doing any damage, it is just one of the quirks about it. I myself after owning one for 10 years of everyday driving would not use anything else if given the choice. You are not going to break a Detroit Locker, they are one of the very strongest Diffs out there. Turning corners is not an issue under normal driving, however if you start turning a corner and in mid corner you hit the throttle hard, the diff wind up, locking both tires at the same speed which with the kind of power these trucks have will break traction with both rear tires. Once you get used to it this gets to be a lot of fun. I used to slide my 96 around turns all the time.

Bill.

Stinker said:
If Begood and wazzup wants a pink powder coated axle with nice daisys on the cover, I will do my best:D

Ya'll jsut let me know
Cool then it will match my jammies.:rock: :D :p :D

Bill.

Begood said:
I have a powerlock in my Duster, and while it is good, there have been times during burnouts where you could see both tires were not turning exactly the same speed. With the Detroit Locker when you are on the gas both rear tires are going to be turning the exact same speed no matter what! However like Big Perm said sometimes while driving down the road it will unlock and quickly lock back up, when it does this it makes a pretty good "Bang" sound. This is not doing any damage, it is just one of the quirks about it. I myself after owning one for 10 years of everyday driving would not use anything else if given the choice. You are not going to break a Detroit Locker, they are one of the very strongest Diffs out there. Turning corners is not an issue under normal driving, however if you start turning a corner and in mid corner you hit the throttle hard, the diff wind up, locking both tires at the same speed which with the kind of power these trucks have will break traction with both rear tires. Once you get used to it this gets to be a lot of fun. I used to slide my 96 around turns all the time.

Bill.

Great perspective from a man who knows...thanks bro!

Prof I really appreciate your concern bro, In fact I am so glad someone "is" asking questions such as yours.

In the begginning this was just something I was going to do for myself, and then Nowwhat mentioned a group buy, so I was surprised at the outcome when I asked. And am glad I did.

but that is what I want , questions such as this and such great input from our members, I did however go for the most cost effective, we could go with the air and electric lockers and so on , but I wanted to be able to get us in a tough axle for the best price, but will be glad to get anythign anyone wants:D

I jsut want to make sure everyone is happy, and unfortunatly I am sure soemthing could possibly come up after we start installing them, but hopefully nothing major.

As far as install? just get it to my house:D

Stinker said:
As far as install? just get it to my house:D

I've met Roy....I sincerely doubt he wants to do the install at "Huntin nowwhats package" :thefinger:

I'm with Tony, Detroits rock....they are trusty, dependable, and just down right American :rock:

LOLOLOL I hear ya bro!!

I dont know I get him out here in th kuntry wit me, and find him a good ol kuntry girl, he mit js not wanna leave!!LOLOLOL

Prof said:
Stinker, I really think you are on the right track with the Detroit Locker. It seems to be the best of both worlds and the most practical approach. My comments asking for all of the negatives were in the interest of being sure that no one was surprised after the install.

I'm leaning hard toward your fix....who will install for me? Ya think, MoParMudder might come down for a weekend and do it for me??? Its warmer here than up where he is!

My garage is warm........if it trully will be a bolt in deal it should be simple, bleeding the brakes would be the hardest thing, not that it is hard. The big ? is how the E-Brake will work.

I'll take my truck anywhere to have it worked on...as long as there is a Ritz Carlton, or Four Seasons with in a few miles. (Desert Springs Marriott is Ok too.)

Or.... a spinner like Amy at Roe.

mopar_mudder said:
Has anyone road raced a detroit locker? That would be my biggest concern.
Well I know of a guy who put them in all the comptition race cars he sold. His name is, Carroll Shelby. Every Compitition GT350 he sold came with a Detroit Locker.

Bill.

Begood is there a possibility of you running by there place and letting them look and see how bad the emergency brake deal may be?

I am not sure if they are open on saturdays. Right now getting over there during a week day would be very difficult.

Bill.

Begood said:

Bill.

I can attest to what Bill has stated. Had both Powerlocks, and Detroit Lockers. I would pay $1000.00 for a Detroit Locker over a free Powerlock any day.

I cannot personally comment on the ABR's, but I do not remember reading or hearing of them used in our situations. Everything I have heard about them is 4X4 stuff. And after having a CJ5 with Detroit Lockers both front and rear, I would take the ABR's (at least in the front) any day. It could climb a tree, which was a damn good thing, because you could not steer around it.:eek:

I would look at the Detroit TruTrac over a Locker. In hard turns the Locker is gonna clunk and make noise. The TruTrac is best of both worlds and is alot quieter than a Locker. You dont want to road race with a Locker either.

The problem is Swift the true trac will not hold up at the strip it is more of a limited slip differential made for road racing.

I really dont think many of the guys are going road racing, mostly street and some trac use.

but if anyone wants the tur trac they can get it ,its no problem.

Stinker said:
The problem is Swift the true trac will not hold up at the strip it is more of a limited slip differential made for road racing.

I really dont think many of the guys are going road racing, mostly street and some trac use.

but if anyone wants the tur trac they can get it ,its no problem.

What about this one??? :dontknow:

http://www.detroitlocker.com/DE.htm

Detroit Electrac. :confused:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back