Regular Cab Automatic Conversion?

Carlwalski said:
OK guys, I am set on the TH400. I thought the trouble would be finding one, especially shipping back to New Zealand. BUT, I have found some locally in NZ. What do used/built TH400s usually go for and what year, model # is the best, or should I be looking for? Here are some nice local ones from used $800 to pro built with goodies for $4,500 (asking). I won't go to USA for the trans, more money and the dollar is low. 1 Kiwi dollar buys US .55, so double the price + shipping for anything I need, it f#%ken sucks lol (has been up to .80 in the past few years). Just need to know what I get is the best trans/year. What questions do I need to ask the sellers to confirm this stuff?

Thanks!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-M...es/Chevrolet/Gear-boxes/auction-215272634.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Chevrolet/Other/auction-216215078.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-M...es/Chevrolet/Gear-boxes/auction-215842067.htm

Looks like the two built ones you listed are being sold by companies that build transmissions. Call and talk to them and have them build you one and a converter especially for your application. Our trucks are VERY heavy compared to what high hp trans guys are used to building for. My brother's full drag race Mustang is under 3k lbs ready to race with him in it. My truck will be over 5k, prob more like 5500. Tell them you want a truck case. Definitely get an SFI approved scatter shield if you are going to run a transbrake. I've got a real nice carbon fiber one, don't remember the brand, but it's LIGHT.

I'll either get the shop to send me some pics or I'll take some the next time I'm in the town where the shop is.

Another tranny that was pretty good to me and it got in and out of gears very smooth and very fast was the trans in my 2004 F-250 Diesel...that tranny was a beast and shifted very similar to the 48RE minus the backlash when it shifts, and the "gear guessing" Also can handle nice amounts of power

Thanks everyone for your input. If you have any more info please let me know. :)

I know you have already decided on the TH400 (great trans BTW) but has anyone had any feedback on the Aison 68RE? I've heard that this trans can handle serious power in stock form and my dad has one in his '08 3500 and it has the pushbutton manual shifting.

I also think that our instrument clusters RC/QC are the same. I've seen the PRNDL in the cluster of an '06 before.

razorbackfan said:
I know you have already decided on the TH400 (great trans BTW) but has anyone had any feedback on the Aison 68RE? I've heard that this trans can handle serious power in stock form and my dad has one in his '08 3500 and it has the pushbutton manual shifting.

I also think that our instrument clusters RC/QC are the same. I've seen the PRNDL in the cluster of an '06 before.
Thanks mate but just I'm just about set on the TH400 but am doing research on the TF727. Always been a fan and have seen them behind huge hp cars, Hemis, 440s, blown, etc etc. So am on a few other boards getting opinions on my build + TF727 vs. TH400 for this application. I agree with the cluster, I think that is the only difference and it's not a big one or worth swapping, also, I have a rare OEM KPH speedo that I went to great lengths to buy, from Canada. Just like any old muscle car, you just feel, hear know what gear you are in or worse case....look at the shifter surround lol.

It's good that your finding a way to make this truck work better for you. After all that I've read on the mods that you've done, you would hate yourself for selling it. You definately won't be lacking for parts and builders for the TH400.

razorbackfan said:
It's good that your finding a way to make this truck work better for you. After all that I've read on the mods that you've done, you would hate yourself for selling it. You definately won't be lacking for parts and builders for the TH400.
Thanks Jeff, it was a mixture of making it more a daily driver + more powerful. Plus, prior to this choice and viewing all the videos and driving myself the RCs just seem to "lack" any go-fourth with a stick, they are super hard to hook and keep on the straight with a clutch (my opinion) but looking at the likes of You Tube videos I'm not wrong. So between the TH400, suspension tickle up and being a RC this thing (should) move. After all I've done to it, it'd be a waste to just sell it. Can't wait to get into it but first - research. ;)

Scrambler1 said:
Looks like the two built ones you listed are being sold by companies that build transmissions. Call and talk to them and have them build you one and a converter especially for your application. Our trucks are VERY heavy compared to what high hp trans guys are used to building for. My brother's full drag race Mustang is under 3k lbs ready to race with him in it. My truck will be over 5k, prob more like 5500. Tell them you want a truck case. Definitely get an SFI approved scatter shield if you are going to run a transbrake. I've got a real nice carbon fiber one, don't remember the brand, but it's LIGHT.

I'll either get the shop to send me some pics or I'll take some the next time I'm in the town where the shop is.
Thanks for the input mate. Sounds good, I look forward to some photos. :rock:

On the transmission note. I'm real torn now between a FULL manual valve body or the likes of Turbo Actions "new" Pro Street Manual/Auto valve body. They say it allows you to shift on demand instantly (like a MVB) but you also maintain a full auto mode which is quite appealing. My only concern about that is because it still allows full auto mode, will that therefore hinder the shifts?? In short, I wonder if the MVB will shift harder/faster than a MAVB? If the AMVB shifts just as hard as a FMVB then you have to wonder why people even choose a full MVB. There has to be a catch, right? http://www.turboaction.com/valvebody.html

At this stage I'm still waiting for a reply from Carl Rossler about my build and transmission choice. They have a pretty good write up/specs on the 4L80E and 4L60E. I've asked in my email if they can shift as hard and as fast as the TH400 as well as their capabilities of handling power vs. the likes of the TH400. Can't wait to hear back so I can proceed to go through a build with him. http://www.rosslertrans.com/Transmission's.htm He is well recommended in many forums and clubs so I will run with him, pricey though compared to others.

Cheers,
Confused Carl (about the valve bodies) :laugh:

BatramHurstShifter.jpg

Ask if the turbo action man/auto can have a transbrake (if you want one). When I told the builder that was what I wanted it narrowed things down a lot. Otherwise no I'm not familiar with it but I would do some due diligence before I pulled the trigger on it. Seems like a cool concept though if it works.

Just got off the phone with Carl Rossler. Long talk but it really did help me with my decision and with what trans will work etc. At this stage I'm going to run a 4L80E which are basically a TH400 rear with a modern front. I'm not a fan of GVs so this is a great option plus I get 3 forward shifts (or 4 forward gears) no button for OD etc. I talked to him and I will be ordering his Terminator 4 transmission which is the biggest baddest 4L80E transmission he builds with hybrid plug and play technology which converts the computer controlled electronic trans into a full manual shift transmission without having to remove the pan or valve body. Another good point about that is, if you, for some reason, get tired of shifting the full manual trans all the time, you can buy the electronic module later on and add it without too much hassle. Just nice to know.

His Terminator 3 transmissions are rated up to around 1,600hp. The Terminator 4 is perhaps somewhat overkill but I always want the best and am happy knowing what ever I do with the Batram, I'll have 1 stout transmission under me. I told him I wanted neck snapping shifts lol. He said the auto/manual valve bodies are good but nothing compares to the likes a full manual valve body set up. For example, if you short shift around 3,300rpm it won't shift instantly like a FMVB, it lags a little. He said they are good but only when you are under WOT. His TH400s same spec go for $3,595, + odds and ends $500 and a Gear Vendors unit $2,600 and you're above the 6K mark. He said the shifting differences between the TH400 and 4L80E are so minute you won't be able to tell when he builds them, no difference and the 4L80E has engine braking through all gears (4-1). As I said in my last post, pricey though: Full spec full manual 4-speed auto $5,190 + shipping. 2-3 weeks build time.

Hopefully this info will help others now and in the future who are considering/doing a similar swap. :)

yellowfever#154 said:
So with the 4L80E, what adaptor is needed to bolt it to a RC block?
It's the same adapter kit as the TH400. ;) Donato's kits for our trucks have a standard Chevy bell housing bolt pattern. The flywheel is drilled for the standard GM three bolt torque converter (both big and small bolt patterns) so we're truly covered. It bolts straight up and even has the same flywheel ring gear setup so it is a direct fit for our starters (often over looked in this type of conversion). I'd email John as he has two kits, 04 and 05/06+, email: [email protected]

For a street/strip truck mate, the 4L80E is the only way to go IMO. The TH400 for track only but if you want the same strength but with an OD, no other trans comes close. Carl Rossler can build them up to 1,200hp (Terminator 3 spec) or his Terminator 4 which is good for 2,000hp at the fly (add the trucks weight and we're still covered), he has them in the 6 second bracket and has had them in the 7s for many years. It's a TH400 with an OD, basically, the rear is a TH400 and the front, a 4L80E. 80% (+/-) of the parts interchange. All in one unit, no GVs add on unit and you get to shift 4th with the shifter or have 4 forward gears, not hit a toggle or floor switch to get into OD. :)

Donatos kit includes:

* Block Adaptor Plate
* SFI Flywheel Assembly
* Crankshaft Adaptor
* All Fasteners & Dowel Pins.

Cheers,
Carl

yellowfever#154 said:
I like the idea of 4 gears without the GV. What is Donatos conversion kit worth?
$2,295 US (shipping & insurance not included). Really good IMO for good gear and considering he's the only one making this stuff. :)

blackviper said:
Now how much are the transmissions?
Depends what you want and what options you choose to what spec transmission, I'm going all out, transbrake, heavy duty everything, you name it, it has it lol. Ball park around $3,000 (for a base model Terminator 1 or 2) up to and over $6,500+ for a Terminator 4 (+ shipping). You'd be OK with a mild build with a T1 or T2 but at this stage FI is in my future so I'm building my trans for that eventuality. Not cheap by any means :eek: but, the good stuff never is. ;)

505'sFastestViper. said:
hmmm very interestin stuff i am also goin this route........price on conversion kit be way appreciated..........

Dom, Donato's stuff is truly top notch. This is what's going into my truck now.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back