Regular Cab Automatic Conversion?

I like that converter, it is puuuurdy.......just kiddin very nice looking parts keep us informed.

UPDATE:

Thought I'd update those interested. Ran into an unforeseen hiccup with the Donato kit, installed it and found we had a good 1/2" to 3/4" gap between the flywheel and TC which was Donatos fault, sucks as it cost me extra money and an extra 8-10 working days. Long story short, we had to fix it properly down-under and made a custom spacer to fill in the gap. Disappointed as I spent over 2K expecting a kit that would fit, but didn't. I pick up the truck with the 4L80E in and running this week.

My builder is getting married and is off for 2 weeks so instead of having it sit there in the shop for that time, I'll go test the trans, run it in and have some fun. I will say it has some awesome new additions, real 1 offs that I am proud to have come up with and have done, all of which will be revealed in time. I've been for a test run and all I can say is AWESOME. ;) I liked the stick shift but this new set up (to me) is the best of all worlds, it's f#%ken mean! :D

No photos and no major detail of what I did or used until it's done. The BATRAM won't be fully complete for another 2-3 months. Next step is to take the BATRAM back in 2-4 weeks. Now the mechanical side is done it's time for a little custom interior work and while that is being done the engine will be pulled and stripped and internally checked and measured for it's new parts (pistons, rods and push rods etc). Once that is done it's time to order, install then SC. That's all, just keeping you posted.

Anyone waiting to know how hard it is, it's a complete and utter piece of piss to do. Only down side to most is the $$$ for the trans, controller and odds and ends. But the swap itself is too easy. We would have been done but I'm having a lot of custom touches performed lol. For those wanting a basic swap, I'd say a reputable shop could do it properly (not rushed) in 2-3 days including testing etc, even 1 day for a REAL basic install.

Cheers!

if you dont mind posting this, what are the gear ratios in the transmission?

mysrt10 said:
if you dont mind posting this, what are the gear ratios in the transmission?
1st - 2.48
2nd - 1.48
3rd - 1
4th - 0.69

As far as I'm aware, it's the same as the standard TH400 + an over drive. :driver:

Best part is the OD. A must for those who drive their trucks in all driving situations and conditions (highway cruising, trips, back roads, etc). Not only that but you get 4 gears, not 3 + a button in a Gear Vendors style set up. With a controller you can set up anything. Shift pressure from 0-100%, same with shift speed, TC lock up, etc. It's awesome. Full manual mode or full auto or both. You set your shift point and each and every time it shifts hard, chirps the tyres and does its job without fail. Humans can't shift that precise and it makes for a nice weapon at the track or traffic lights having that type of shift and electronic aid, but a big shift handle is there for fun as well. :p :D

:rock:

Last edited:
thanks for the info. sounds like a great set-up, with the controller:rock:

UPDATE:

Got the truck back today after fixing a few poor quality issues from parts purchased, they both happen to be major items - doh!! We installed the transmission which is excellent but as mentioned we ran into spacer issues from Donatos kit. I will upload some photos of the problems once my conversion is done. At this stage I've opened a PayPal dispute against Doanto for an incomplete kit. I spent $1,450 USD making a spacer for his kit. I know someone else here has also had issues with Donato (I won't mention any names). Major hold up and extra money on my behalf. Long story.....but in short there was a gap (around 3/4") between the flywheel and converter. The engine side was perfect. The converter end was the issue end, of no fault of Rossler (Rossler even questioned Doantos measurements but it was not his place to say). It was Donatos fault. He admitted this was because they use their own NON lock up converters and lock ups were different. But in his emails he said he talked about it with Rossler my trans builder for over a week so there is no excuse at all. He said he would send 1/2" "spacers" and fasteners to fix the problem. To us, it's a "half arsed" solution.

We told him not to worry sending the spacers, save himself some money and that it'd be a waste of time. Reason being, the gap between the flywheel & block is less than the distance required for the bolts. What he suggested basically meant trying to put a 2" bolt in a precision 1-1/2" gap, it just will not and can not, physically fit or be tightened. Upon seeing this blunder in the kit we did what we had originally planned and that is to make a spacer ring that bolts to the torque converter. We then used countersunk bolts and tapped new holes into the spacer ring which fit the bolts from the flywheel. This allowed us to use shorter bolts between the flywheel and the block and it's all done locally (and properly) in New Zealand which is not the first time I'm sorry to say, USA quality as of late has been poor from several of the parts we have purchased. As mentioned, I am trying to gather a refund for the time and labor spent ($1,450 US) on fixing Donatos incomplete kit, he isn't having a bar of it as he said he offered a solution, which is true. Just it wouldn't have worked and seemed like a band aid fix. I paid for a kit that is supposed to work and fit ($2,250 worth), I like anyone expects something to fit, $1 or $100,000 worth, you pay for an item the vendor should deliver. I didn't pay for a kit that was incomplete and needed a custom part to be made.

Secondly: The Precision converter we received was an utter POS and it's no fault of Rossler but I advised him as he needs to know. My mechanic checked it out on a hoist while it was running and it was wobbly as hell, WAY out of sync. Looked like a first timer on a pottery machine! Instead of sending it back to Rossler and waiting a month or so for Precision to "OK" a replacement and then sending us another one (probably another POS as well) we sent it out to be cut and rewelded properly - in NZ. We sent it to shop up North who can do this procedure. I won't get money for this but it sure does suck. The second time we have paid for a product and received either an incomplete kit or a real 3rd world quality piece. Not fun no matter which way you slice it. The shop fixing the converter said they've dealt with Precision before many times and said they are utter shit. They've found pieces of cloth in converters before. I'm not out to bash someone's product but I will speak my mind on FACT and personal experience, think of this as constructive criticism if you will. I wouldn't Precision, although the converter is doing a great job now, the quality off the factory seems hit and miss. Some people may not know the converter is wobbly as hell. If we hadn't of found it, in 12 months time my trans could have been damaged and we would have scratched our head wondering, how and why and blamed the trans? The first 1/2 of the converter on our spacer was true, the rear was miles out. they (my shop) have it on film, again, I will post this once my install is done. Anyhow, the shoddy craftsmanship we have encountered Precision hasn't rained on things too much. Carl Rosslers transmission is beautiful, shifts firm, crisp and thus far it's a brilliant unit, phew! something works!!!!!

I collected the BATRAM today for the first time it's up the drive. The mechanical side ONLY is done. My interior guy is on Honeymoon so instead of sitting at the shop for a few weeks I'll get used to it and test out it's new limits, mainly traction for the Super Charger purpose. It was the worst day to bring it home, pouring down. My mechanic and I went for a blat and he did a few 80% throttle launches off the line in the worst conditions and it was "OK", got fish tailed pretty easy. Tomorrow it's dry and I will take it out to Mad Max country and give it some death to see what the real limits are when it matters - in the dry. Thus far the truck kicks arse, surprisingly enough........I haven't gone for the imaginary clutch at all lol. More updates to follow.

Cheers,
Carl

Carl where the heck are you. Busy I guess. Holler at us especially with some pix, but I know you are in bruce wayne mood right now.

Carl,

Your truck was already one of a kind. This work will make it ultra unique. I look forward to seeing the completed project. But I honestly don't think you will EVER be 100% complete... :)

Either way, your truck is awesome and I cannot wait to see the pics. And next year, I will be in NZ to see it in person. I'm still not going to wear a Robin suit though. ;) Dressing like Lord of the Rings character is not out of the question however... :D

Thanks guys. :)

Trekker lol All good mate you will always be welcome and it will be complete one day, I can see the end now. Exterior is done, interior is just about complete, after the engine mods what ever they be (NA or SC) after that it will be done. :D Jesus, what do you mean bra? I'm on here and log into Facebook when ever you wanna chat look me up brother. ;) I can't sleep, it's 4:20am and all I can think about is The BATRAM in the drive and the sunny DRY road conditions waiting for me............suns up soon, will sneak out earlier than expected and make a day of it.

:rock:

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Well, the front half of the console is 90% complete, taken longer than expected due to money, parts delay and having several other jobs/work needing to be done on other vehicles/the house, but, no rush though. :) A few things to fix up, only small misc fitment issues but apart from that it's done. I wanted it simple, clean, subtle and like a factory option. I think we achieved that. I'm over the moon just to have it done. The rear console part has been chopped down to half it's size. I've never been a fan of that mini pyramid between the seats lol so, it'll be a custom made low profile thing, similar to what you see in the photos below, albeit that's just the old lid there for mock purposes for these photos.

I'm taking the truck to a show I organised this weekend then it's back to the shop next week. Any questions, just ask, here to help or try my best. One of the coolest mods and one I'm over the moon with is the AMG Mercedes paddle shifters. They kick arse! ;) Lots of other little mods but the main one is the console. Thought I may as well post an update now since it's still 1-2 months away from being complete as I have other jobs on the go that need cash. Sucks being broke LOL. Anyhow, enough chewing the fat. Once it's fully complete, I'll have every mod I did, and those I tried, on my website. Until then, this will have to do.

Cheers,
Carlwalski
THE BATRAM

In the middle stages, mock up.
ConsoleMock1.jpg

The BMW Cup holder I chose. Need cup holders, but didn't want anything ugly, this hidden unit is just the trick IMO.
BMWCupHolder1.jpg

Cup holder tray pulled back/open.
BMWCupHolder2.jpg

ConsoleMock2.jpg

Getting there...........
ConsoleMock3.jpg

The shifter I chose in the end was the Hurst Promatic-2 Truck shifter.
HurstShifter1.jpg

The Hurst Ball shifter controls the Carl Rossler transbrake.
Hurst1630049.jpg

How it looks today, close but not quite there.
NewConsole1.jpg

Another angle.
NewConsole2.jpg

The blue switch engages the transbrake (safety, when it's off I can touch/bump the shifter button, nothing will happen).
NewConsole3.jpg

The AMG S63 Mercedes Paddle shifters, real top quality, they weigh 0.2lbs each, nice and solid!
AMGPaddles1.jpg

The guts of them..........
AMGPaddles2.jpg

In place. :rock:
Paddles1.jpg

Left = down shift.
Paddles2.jpg

Right = Up shift
Paddles3.jpg

From behind......
Paddles4.jpg

Paddles5.jpg