Regular Cab Automatic Conversion?

WOW! I have regretfully missed this thread for a while... Looks beautiful!

One question, is that third foot peddle from the clutch or the foot brake?

Wil

WOOOW this is awesome ! ! !

un-be-li-vi-ble job dude :rock: :congrats: :rock:

that truck is realy a keeper now !

Awesome work man!!! I love the paddle shifters:rock: What kind of responce time do they have?

Please tell me more about the paddle shifters. Are you using a solenoid or an actuator to move the shift dog on the tranny? Any info on that part of the conversion would be most appreciated.

That looks fantastic! If your not already an engineer, someone should give you an honorary degree for that setup.

tinygiants said:
Please tell me more about the paddle shifters. Are you using a solenoid or an actuator to move the shift dog on the tranny? Any info on that part of the conversion would be most appreciated.

W O W !!!! Holy Batram! LOL, looks beyond killer Carl,very well done,like Tiny I would like some more info on those sweet paddle shifters too:rock:

Did you use a manual valve body and then shift it with the paddles??

Last edited:
Thanks guys, much appreciated. :)

The paddle shifters are Mercedes AMG S63 Paddle shifters, which they call Switches a.k.a "Rocker Switches". I'm still not sure why they call them that but there yah go LOL. They are Mercedes Part # 221-267-00-46 and are very pricey but IMO, well worth it. They are neat and tidy, high quality, heavy for better feel and the function is precise and instant. I painted my as the silver they come in was too much of a contrast against The Batram's black interior. I painted them medium grey or shadow to make them fit better. I wanted them to stand out, but not too much lol. Remember, there is nothing much to them, all paddles are, are fancy buttons, it's that simple. You can use what ever you like to change gears, all they are doing are sending electric signals to the brains of the transmission.

The function depends on the driving style and transmission under it. Most if not all modern heavy duty transmissions suitable for our trucks that are electronically shifted don't have engine braking when shifted electronically as the internals that do the engine braking aren't activated, only when you use the actual mechanical floor shifter. The newer 6-speed autos do but you lose out on their strength. So in that sense there is no engine braking, a tad in 3rd but other wise it freewheels. It's more of a gimmick to be honest but it does come in handy, like exhaust cuts outs, they are there when I need them. I use them around 10-15% of my driving. Mostly when I want to over take, tap down 2 gears and tap up again, etc. Like anything, a little practise and timing and you can get it working really well, rev matching etc. You basically tap down, rev, catch the truck with the gas again and brake when shifting down into a corner.

I also use them when I want to manually shift up the gears off the mark, they are perfect for this. No hands off the wheel and instant shifts and I mean instant tire chirping neck snapping shifts lol. They would be good for the track too, coming in from a long straight in 4th, bang down 2 cogs to 2nd while under heavy braking and you get no rear wheel lock up, rev match once and you're set prior to the apex in the correct gear. For the street though, for all my hardcore 0-60mph (etc) driving, I am really enjoying letting the truck do the shifting, I can't beat precise 5,800rpm shifts each and every time. When I shift I tend to use the Hurst floor shifter, that way I get full engine braking. My transmission is a Hybrid, it works full manual when shifted otherwise it will shifter automatically, perfect. In case anyone is wondering, the Compushift control module (yet to be mounted) is what I use for my gear indicator. When it's in normal mode it'll show either 1, 2, 3 or 4. As soon as I hit the paddles, it'll change to S1, S2, S3 or S4 (S = Sequential). Any questions, just ask, here to help the brethren if or when I can.

Cheers,
Carl

MercPaddles.jpg

Mercedes_2212670046.jpg

Compushift2.jpg

Another idea I had was to use the cruise control switches. This may suit those who don't want to spend $150+ on paddles. It will work but you will lose the cruise control, however, it is easy to buy new OEM cruise control buttons ($30 for both or something like that, see Sean @ Roe) and you can mount them elsewhere, if you really want them. I should mention that in order to use the paddle shifters I have, I had to move the horn elsewhere so we could use that wire, to be safe with the clock spring and all. The horn is on the right hand side below the A/C vents, it's the one on the right in the first few photos I posted with the new console. The one on the left is my smokescreen button. :D This system will work but to me using your thumbs or palm to shift isn't as good as the natural feel of pulling it back from behind the wheel, but, just an idea I'll throw out for you guys. Once again, all this info will be on my website before long, haven't had time yet.

OEM_Speed_Control_Buttons_2.JPG

Manic said:
WOW! I have regretfully missed this thread for a while... Looks beautiful!

One question, is that third foot peddle from the clutch or the foot brake?

Wil
As Dom kindly pointed out, it's the e-brake lol. I did that while it was manual, I had an old shitty clutch pedal cover that needed to be replaced so instead of throwing it out when I got the new one, I cut it down/filed it to size and made the "complete set". If you want to do the same call the wreckers and get them to send some used/worn pads, a cheap and easy mod.

THEBATRAM15.jpg

mysrt10 said:
Awesome work man!!! I love the paddle shifters:rock: What kind of response time do they have?
Instant, like the floor shifter. I'm not trying to talk myself up here lol but this is the first auto I have had (GM too lol) that has never ever missed a shift or been delayed, it's fantastic, it shifts while you are at the end of the shifter throw it is that quick. The paddles are the same, instant. I'll be doing another video some time early next yera with some stuff I have running through my mind, I'll try to get the shift time in that via inside the cab, ie: "paddle cam".

BATRAM1.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back