Stock 06' Quad Cab Dyno Results

canviper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just putting this out there for extra info for those who want it. I just got done dynoing my pretty much stock quad cab down in Calgary with RottenRonnie and Toma. My only mods are a K&N CAI,Borla Exhaust and a X-Metal PCM. I still have all 4 stock cats and manifolds in the truck.The Dyno was a Dyno Dynamics Dynaometer i just did the dyno for a stock baseline just incase i want to do any mods in the future and to also tell or not if i have one of the infamous sleepy 06' trucks.
The reason i headed to Calgary was to get RottenRon's, Toma and OldColt's opinion on my truck and to see in there opinion if the truck is tuneable.I've only driven/owened this truck for 2weeks now and am still learning alot about these trucks and how they make power. But on with the results my best pull was 374HP and 425TQ. And after letting RottenRon and OldColt watch the pulls they are pretty confident that i have a tuneable truck and not a sleeper. I'm sure these results are average for my truck,but average is good now because it looks like i have a tuneable truck the next step will be to try out some SCT tunes now and see if they work.
I would just like to thank RottenRon OldColt and Toma for meeting me today and checking out my truck and helping me sleep a little easier now. Also had a ride in OldColt's RC wow what a ride never been in a RC before and what a rush, and what a difference 100HP makes I belive OldColt is putting out around 476HP that was a blast. Can't wait to go back down to Calgary and visit you guys again. Thanks

let me know when you go next time . I want to go down 2 .
And that was ok numbers but you can do better .
You bet Rad it was kind of a last minute thing just wanted to see if my truck is tuneable, so it looks good for now. Just need some cash but hey who dosen't?

I should be home for another 10 days or more i hope, don't have tickets to leave yet i don't really feal like working just driving lol.

Ok . I'm going to see tylor Friday . You want to meet up somewhere .
To early to tell yet sure would like to meet up with the edmonton guys all depends if can get some one to watch the kids. I'll keep in touch or give me an idea of your plans later Rad.

Bring the kids with ya! It's a QC! Lol

Hey Cory,did you ever make it up to see Tony-AceOmatic to get ur tranny serviced?

Last edited:
Just putting this out there for extra info for those who want it. I just got done dynoing my pretty much stock quad cab down in Calgary with RottenRonnie and Toma. My only mods are a K&N CAI,Borla Exhaust and a X-Metal PCM. I still have all 4 stock cats and manifolds in the truck.The Dyno was a Dyno Dynamics Dynaometer i just did the dyno for a stock baseline just incase i want to do any mods in the future and to also tell or not if i have one of the infamous sleepy 06' trucks.
The reason i headed to Calgary was to get RottenRon's, Toma and OldColt's opinion on my truck and to see in there opinion if the truck is tuneable.I've only driven/owened this truck for 2weeks now and am still learning alot about these trucks and how they make power. But on with the results my best pull was 374HP and 425TQ. And after letting RottenRon and OldColt watch the pulls they are pretty confident that i have a tuneable truck and not a sleeper. I'm sure these results are average for my truck,but average is good now because it looks like i have a tuneable truck the next step will be to try out some SCT tunes now and see if they work.
I would just like to thank RottenRon OldColt and Toma for meeting me today and checking out my truck and helping me sleep a little easier now. Also had a ride in OldColt's RC wow what a ride never been in a RC before and what a rush, and what a difference 100HP makes I belive OldColt is putting out around 476HP that was a blast. Can't wait to go back down to Calgary and visit you guys again. Thanks

Great meeting you and I'm glad it worked out well for ya.
When a cam is factory installed in the wrong position, it's time consuming and expensive just to get your truck up to the point where it should have been all along.

You know where we are, so come and visit anytime.

Ronnie

Last edited:
Did the xmetal PCM not remove the torque management? Seems low without it! 384. HP is only 10 HP more then oldcolt had with a bad cam . I'm confused.... My truck was 410 HP on that same dyno stock through a K&N drop-in. Ronnie considered it abit on the low side of normal. I still need to make some time to dyno now, after my mods

Did the xmetal PCM not remove the torque management? Seems low without it! 384. HP is only 10 HP more then oldcolt had with a bad cam . I'm confused.... My truck was 410 HP on that same dyno stock through a K&N drop-in. Ronnie considered it abit on the low side of normal. I still need to make some time to dyno now, after my mods

I know there is some confusion here to we should have did a few pulls with the x-metal and with out. But we had some time issues so we didn't have time to do a comparison. But i did buy a SCT so the x-metal will come out once i get some tunes put in. So all my numbers should hopefully change.
Alot of Ron's opinion on the truck being sleeper or not was how the truck sounded,ran, and heated up while i was Dynoing to Ron and Burt it seemed alot better running and sounding then Burt's. And to be honest i don't really know much about the x-metal PCM and if it removes the TM or not? And as for all the DYNO numbers popping up lately the more that i see them the more confusing it gets everyday???

30 horsepower is lost through the automatic transmission, right off the top.
Oldcolt's of course is a stick.

I know there is some confusion here to we should have did a few pulls with the x-metal and with out. But we had some time issues so we didn't have time to do a comparison. But i did buy a SCT so the x-metal will come out once i get some tunes put in. So all my numbers should hopefully change.
Alot of Ron's opinion on the truck being sleeper or not was how the truck sounded,ran, and heated up while i was Dynoing to Ron and Burt it seemed alot better running and sounding then Burt's. And to be honest i don't really know much about the x-metal PCM and if it removes the TM or not? And as for all the DYNO numbers popping up lately the more that i see them the more confusing it gets everyday???

Gen IIIs (autos) 385 'ish to the wheels on a Dynojet
Gen IIIs (stick) 425 'ish to the wheels on a Dynojet

Dynojets have a heavy drum of a known weight and it takes x amount of torque to spin the drum up to a certain speed in a certain amount of time.
When they first came out, the power numbers they spit out were based on the then new V-Max motorcycles. As it turned out, the V-Max had artificially high horsepower numbers. Rather than cause mass confusion, Dynojet stayed with the "higher than they should be" calculated power numbers; as they already had a number of dynos already out across the country.

Mustang Dynos and the DynoDynamics (like you were on) are a loading type dyno which use an eddy-current electric motor to provide resistance. They typically produce a lower (more realistic?) number than the Dynojets.

I like that type of dyno because you can simulate road conditions (load) and tune accordingly.

My own truck for example, used to ping just a touch right after the 3-4 shift completed under heavy dyno load. That can be dangerous as the trucks push a lot of air (36 square feet) and an early shift at high vehicle speed can force it to detonate.
So, after the 3-4 shift r.p.m. tweak, it is out of danger now as the engine doesn't drop below peak power like it used to.
It is arguably tougher to tune like that on a Dynojet dyno as most of them have a fixed load.

Regardless of the type of dyno used, when they are used with a weather station, they are all corrected to sea-level. That way, your truck or anyone elses' should show the same power numbers here in Calgary as they would in Los Angeles, for example. Or if it's 50F or 100F or 100% humidity or 5%, etc. it doesn't affect power numbers as the dyno corrects for the existing weather conditions and approximates sea-level power numbers

The same dyno with the same operator should provide consistent numbers you can work with to see if your tuning efforts/parts changes are working.

You now have a baseline to work with.

Mine was 389 stock, 423 with a catback exhaust, hi-flow cats and tune from DC. It did pickup nearly 80 ft. lbs. of torque (under peak) so the increase in horsepower is deceiving compared to the actual performance increase provided by the big increase in torque. It is a must-do mod for anyone that has a QC. Night and day difference. It was that increase in torque that made me decide to build the engine for torque rather than forcing it to rev for horsepower.

I don't know anything about the X-Metal tune so I can't comment, but a tune from DC for a QC will make a MAJOR difference in performance for your truck.

Give Chris at DC a call and he can load your shiny new SCT controller up with some power.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie

Last edited:
Thanks Ron for clearing a few things up for the people reading this thread. And i think i e-mailed DC at 600am this morning inquiring about tunes.

Ok. Here you go!! Let the mods begin. !! Lol. You will never be the same again!!

Canviper. I am sure you have heard of my "weak" 06 NR. haha. Good to hear you got a good runnin truck, and you personally are satisfied with it. I love my truck and rock on with the NR man. sickest SRT out there brother. enjoy

PS, i had a flashed PCM for my 05 QC frrom Chris at DC. most noticable difference in deed. it was night and day with that truck:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back