Well, this is bad

You guys figure out what broke on the motor and widowed the block?

I've been slacking, between work, sending the kids to stay with family, and trying to get some cash together.

Hopefully we'll know something more by next weekend.

I've been slacking, between work, sending the kids to stay with family, and trying to get some cash together.

Hopefully we'll know something more by next weekend.

I see you have an extended warranty. I just had a trans and two front calipers replaced at Reedman Toll in PA, under warranty. They have an excellent Viper tech there named John. You should get in touch with them and see what can be done about getting it fixed.

The warranty covers the motor.

Just a suggestion.

I see you have an extended warranty. I just had a trans and two front calipers replaced at Reedman Toll in PA, under warranty. They have an excellent Viper tech there named John. You should get in touch with them and see what can be done about getting it fixed.

The warranty covers the motor.

Just a suggestion.

I worked with John several years ago and slvrsnake is right, he is excellent.

Well over a month later, after cash flow issues, being out of town and then a surgery, my sad lookin' 10 will be at the dealership this afternoon.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to work out a tow to Reedman-Toll, but the local dealer seems like good people and has a Viper Tech.

I'll update as I hear more...

2eme5y6a.jpg

The tech wants to drop the oil pan, he suspects a bent rod.

The guy on the phone started asking me about water damage, and that's the techs best guess right now. That baffled me, I had no idea how water would have gotten in there.

He asked "have you submerged the truck to the intake? Was the intake the kind that went down by the fog lights". It's an SRT-10, if I submerged it, it wouldn't be driving out. So we spent 10 minutes discussing how I tried to kill it with water.

Maybe it's me, but it does flood on base a bit during heavy rains (but I don't drive the 10). I would have to play submariner get water up there or drive with the hood open and park like that and let it soak.

Is there something I'm missing here?

The tech wants to drop the oil pan, he suspects a bent rod.

The guy on the phone started asking me about water damage, and that's the techs best guess right now. That baffled me, I had no idea how water would have gotten in there.

He asked "have you submerged the truck to the intake? Was the intake the kind that went down by the fog lights". It's an SRT-10, if I submerged it, it wouldn't be driving out. So we spent 10 minutes discussing how I tried to kill it with water.

Maybe it's me, but it does flood on base a bit during heavy rains (but I don't drive the 10). I would have to play submariner get water up there or drive with the hood open and park like that and let it soak.

Is there something I'm missing here?

No you are not,they are trying to set up the water damage idea so the warranty will not cover it.

No you are not,they are trying to set up the water damage idea so the warranty will not cover it.

That's what I was thinking too, have you changed the oil since it happened? If it is indeed water damage when the drain plug is dropped water will come out first. If they haven't done that yet, tell them you want to be present when it occurs and have them catch a sample of the oil as it first comes out to confirm or deny the water intrusion concern. This will hopefully eliminate the possibility and give you the evidence you need to have it covered under warranty.

Thanks for idea! It honesty didn't cross my mind.

I gave them a call and the Viper Tech is cool with me coming down there. He said the water damage talk was more or less a heads up like "if it's water it's not warranty, just to let you know".

I told him its no disrespect to him, but I haven't dealt with this dealer or know anyone who has had major repairs done there. And the dealer I dealt with when I was stationed in MT was super shady and I don't want to get pinned for something I didn't do.

Not to mention the service advisor I spoke with yesterday said the last time a Viper motor was replaced there it was a $22k bill. The guy paid cash... Must be nice.

Edit: hopefully no one misconstrues this as some dealer hate, because it's not. But getting the transmissions replaced at the previous dealership was hell. Thankfully corporate was easy to deal with and straightened everything out.

I would love nothing more than for this all to work out so that I can rant and rave about how awesome this place is.

Last edited:
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

They called to give me a heads up and then called me back 5 minutes later to let me know they pulled 3qts of water out of it. Waiting for the wife to get home so I can go check it out.

My mind is blown as to how the F that happened. 3qts is sabotage. Now I have to attempt a insurance claim.

Did they pull an oil sample like I suggested and were you there for it?

Did they pull an oil sample like I suggested and were you there for it?

No, they gave me a 10mins heads up and I didn't get to see them.

They're leaving the samples out so I can take a look at them. I'll be heading over in a few.

If water clear like rainwater or tap water then sounds like sabotage if is coolant colour antifreeze then gasket failure top end or maybe a liner if they have them not up to speed on SRT-10 but long standing truck tech of 22 years seen few engines blown, I know sounds but odd but see if can taste the water sample not saying slug it down like shot of JD but dip in finger and dab on tip of your tongue if bitter then it has coolant in it good luck buddy, my gut feeling is they will be trying everything to get out of warranty claim.

ejynybuj.jpg
humuzuru.jpg

Coolant level was normal.

I'm going to call the insurance company and hope they'll cover it for water damage.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back