Well, this is bad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by initforthelulz, Jun 30, 2013.

Car Parts
  1. initforthelulz

initforthelulz Full Access Member

Thanks for all the info.

I've contacted my insurance company and the adjuster will be taking a look at it next Wednesday.

2. chargerman426

chargerman426 Full Access Member

You could pull the valve covers. IF someone did put water in it and didn't run the motor the oil in the head without an oil filer opening is likely to still have the old black oil in it.

3. ViPeR_PiLoT

ViPeR_PiLoT Full Access Member

I know you said coolant level was normal.. I'm assuming in the coolant reservoir? There is still a lot coolant in the block and if it cracked a water jacket which I'm sure it did, after sitting for a month, even if it was a small drip that coolant would have leaked down in the oil pan. That would explain why your oil was black with no trace of water when you first snapped that picture. The trip to the dealer on the tow truck would have sloshed it around. The only way to really find out is to pull the valve covers... preferably the one on the passenger side just in case some butthole at the dealership poured some of that shit through the fill cap. I hope this helps and you can prove them wrong.

4. stealth78

stealth78 Full Access Member

From the time you started it to the time you shut it down (when it blew), how much time did it run? As accurate as possible minutes wise.

5. Rcboy1972

Rcboy1972 Full Access Member

Kinda hope they pulled the covers already to check that should be a matter of course to pull valve covers a d check for damage with any massive failure I know that's how I was taught maybe I'm old school but kinda hope the viper tech in a dealership is at very least a senior tech with few years behind him
    Good luck with this buddy really hope come out with the result you want ie warranty pay out.

6. initforthelulz

It started knocking right after turning over. I listened for less than a minute, killed it and tried to roll it in neutral to the street. I didn't make it first shot so I popped the hood, started it up and adjusted to the curb. I'd guess 2-3 minutes total of running?

Viper_pilot

The valve covers haven't been pulled, and at $98an hour I'm already out around $275 for just pulling the oil pan.

I spoke to the tech but he bailed from the shop right after they pulled the pan, so I never got a chance to meet him. He didn't have any plans of pulling the covers since they found the water.

They also ran the truck there so they could listen to it and in assuming they didn't run it for too long.

They said the coolant level was where it should have been per the reservoir (which I verified) but no one mentioned anything about the water jacket. They don't want to investigate further because of the water.

I've already called my insurance and opened a claim with them and the adjuster is supposed to be out next Wednesday.

7. Rcboy1972

They are looking at a major component failure ie hole in block and they ran it!!! WTF.
    That really not a good work practise at all be interested to know there thinking behind running it?what they think ooh that will get better!!!
    If they did run it they have contaminated the oil that would have supported your claim so may be an up hill battle buddy, hope the loss adjuster listens to both sides and just doesnt take the dealerships word.
    Good luck

8. initforthelulz

They ran it "so he could hear what it sounded like". Exactly what they said.

9. chargerman426

chargerman426 Full Access Member

Sounds like they ran it to make sure the water was through the system...

10. Rcboy1972

My thoughts exactly chargerman426 if they knew would be warranty job and they contacted the warranty company before hand then my guess is they think stand more chance with average joe than warranty company in getting paid.
    Why would you want to hear it run so they have something to talk over in lunch break?!
    It's pretty damned obvious that has thrown a rod for some reason and all they have done is destroy evidence that can support claim against the warranty company,
    Major component failure like this is a full strip down and visual inspection, I realise things may be done differently over the pond but I've worked in main dealer franchise dealerships for both cars and commercial trucks for nearly 20 years

11. initforthelulz

This gets more depressing with every update. There's nothing left to do but wait to see what the insurance says.

I could call Chrysler Corporate, but I don't have a leg to stand on. The dealer/techs won't put themselves in a position to be "wrong", so hopefully they're at least helpful when the insurance adjuster makes it out there.

Maybe you guys can enlighten me on the warranty repair process. I have an extended warranty that I bought from Chrysler, not some sketchy third party coverage. I understand why the bean counters making the determination would want to deny a warranty claim, but the dealership gets paid either way. So why would they do something to not have to work the vehicle?

I'm not arguing, just curious.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  12. moparviper

moparviper Full Access Member

They make a ton more off of you rather then warranty coving it

13. initforthelulz

Simple enough.

14. initforthelulz

Can someone explain the water jacket(s) to me and the possibilities on how it can fail?

I mentioned my truck on another forum ( not car related) and a auto tech mentioned the water jacket as well as their disbelief for how the dealer is handling this.

15. Itsmekylep

Itsmekylep Full Access Member

I may be wrong, but have you ever looked through a cylinder off a machine? the holes along the piston bore are the " water jackets" coolant travels through them keeping the cylinders cool. If one failed ex: cracked, coolant would fill the cylinder and hydro lock and possibly bend a rod.

16. SRTHOR

SRTHOR Full Access Member

W is the water jacket

Attached Files:

17. jeff_from_jeffco

jeff_from_jeffco Full Access Member

somethings seems very very odd about this. I don't understand first off hwo that much water could be in that engine, and if it was water ingestion that would have to be sucked through ALL cylinders to have that much water in it, or as others have said a coolant jacket been leaking while it was parked which makes more sense to me. your story doesn't line up. If thsi truck sat for a month water ingestion or not im almost positive all the water would have went past the rings and been sitting in the oil pan long before start up. Yes it would ahve caused a catstrophic failued but i don't think it would have been like this. Something was seriously done wrong here. Also they never contacted your warranty. I work for a warranty company and before they ever drop the pan or anything they contact the warranty and an inspector normally comes out and verifies everything before ANY teardown is completed. Pop those valve covers and check it out. somewhere along the lines i feel you are getting ganked.

18. initforthelulz

Jeff, I have no reason to try and deceive you guys and have done my best to answer questions based on what has happened and what has been communicated to me from the dealership. If I was trying to deceive you guys I wouldn't waste so much time posting, mine or yours.

Edit:
    They never said anything about contacting the warranty office first. They were going to investigate the issue, and then go from there. They ran it and the Viper Tech said "there are two knocking sounds, and one is what you would hear from water damage". From there, I had to authorize the dropping of the oil pan at $98 an hour for diagnostics. Once they dropped the pan and saw that much water they called it a day and said they wouldn't be able to justify a warranty repair because of the amount of water.

I'm not as knowledgeable as I should be, but that caught me off guard and I wasn't sure what to reply with. They were holding firm at not looking any further and that it will be an insurance claim.

Thanks for the info though, and from the start things didn't seem right to me. I'll see about trying to pull the covers if they'll give me access.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  19. caveman

caveman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thought provoking... Good post.

20. initforthelulz

Any thoughts on calling Chrysler corporate/warranty office and discussing the issue?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013