Well, this is bad

Take pics of everything. Try to remove plugs in order and label them. Pull valve covers and take pics. Post then up and we'll try to better diagnose the cause. I don't see that much water getting in there without sabotage from someone. Especially if coolant level is up to par.

Jeff, I have no reason to try and deceive you guys and have done my best to answer questions based on what has happened and what has been communicated to me from the dealership. If I was trying to deceive you guys I wouldn't waste so much time posting, mine or yours.

Edit:
They never said anything about contacting the warranty office first. They were going to investigate the issue, and then go from there. They ran it and the Viper Tech said "there are two knocking sounds, and one is what you would hear from water damage". From there, I had to authorize the dropping of the oil pan at $98 an hour for diagnostics. Once they dropped the pan and saw that much water they called it a day and said they wouldn't be able to justify a warranty repair because of the amount of water.

I'm not as knowledgeable as I should be, but that caught me off guard and I wasn't sure what to reply with. They were holding firm at not looking any further and that it will be an insurance claim.

Thanks for the info though, and from the start things didn't seem right to me. I'll see about trying to pull the covers if they'll give me access.

Im sorry if i came across wrong i didn't mean that i didn't believe you. i meant with what you are telling us the dealership is lieing to your face, or atleast trying.

Also that tech is a moron if he starts a veh its knocking and before looking at the engine one bit he goes "that sounds like a water damage knock". No that sounds like that tech should probably be fired for his shady work. He is the one that has caused you this headache. I highly doubt that was your oil in that measureing cup. Highly. Also how do they know it was 3 quarts? i mean three quarts would have if im not mistaken been at the crank which would have many other issues ie. rusting things to the crank would be my worry if it sat for a month. Water and metal doesn't work very well. If there much water is there rust is going to be somewhere in that engine. Thats what i want to know is where is it, and you will likely find out what happened to your engine be it foul play or a coolant jacket etc. that why i said should pull valve covers :p cause if someone tampered with where you put oil in boom instant will be able to tell cause of rust right there. Like i said something just seems fishy with what they are telling you.

Last edited:
They ran it and the Viper Tech said "there are two knocking sounds, and one is what you would hear from water damage".

At that point right their I would be getting a lawyer and taking my truck else where. Really start a motor that has a hole in the side of the block :chain:

And being able to tell their are two different knocks with all that is wrong their, bull shit.

And if you can tell the knock is from water damage just by listening to it you are a GOD.......

Altually I would have been taking it else where the first time you were on the phone with them and they asked you about possible water intake ;)

I definitely would have liked for things to have gone differently but part of my issue is lack of knowledge, the other is lack of funds. Aka bought a truck I can't afford a major fix on. This dealer was not my first choice. I contacted another one that was recommended by a couple members here but the cost of the tow was out of my budget.

As of right now, there is no new news. My insurance adjuster will be out sometime tomorrow. He is most likely going to authorize an independent inspection/tear down of the motor and go from there. If they find a mechanical failure it'll get kicked back to Dodge.

If the tear down doesn't happen and the insurance fixes/totals it out for water damage then I'm never going to get a true answer for what happened.

I'll definitely update as I get more info.

While this is a mess, all I'm hoping for is that I get my truck back in good shape. Or if by some chance my insurance totals it out, that could also be a different kind of blessing lol.

Insurance adjuster just called and said a long block wasn't available to order through Dodge, so he had to piece an engine together.

So far short block + head assembly + fluids is sitting at $17k. He didn't mention if that included labor.

He said there were a few more figures to look at and he'd give me a call back.

Insurance adjuster just called and said a long block wasn't available to order through Dodge, so he had to piece an engine together.

So far short block + head assembly + fluids is sitting at $17k. He didn't mention if that included labor.

He said there were a few more figures to look at and he'd give me a call back.

A few more figures means, they are looking at junk yard engines.

Well, if you guys see a supposedly "flooded out" red 05' QC up for sale, just no it wasn't actually flooded out.

Find a replacement motor and you'll be good to go. Transmission has less than 30k.

Enjoy!

Tell him to call JMB

That's not good bud your thinking she total loss then? When paid out are you gonna get another one?
Surely there must be people with engines around

Have they pulled the heads off now? Are they damaged, surely short block and gasket set would get it back on the road

Last edited:
Yup, total loss.

Once it's paid out, I'll probably stay away from getting another for awhile. While I love the truck, it's an expensive endeavor and with kid #4 on the way, I have some other priorities.

They totaled it out because of everything thing else electrical. They wanted a new wiring harness and what not and because it was "water intake" there could be other unforeseen problems after the new engine.

Even though, I know it wasn't flooded, I have to bite the bullet.

Congrats on number 4 bud got 3 myself and grand daughter so know the expense there, the money will come in handy real shame about the truck do you get a chance to buy it back and try find a salvage engine? Would be best of both worlds keep the truck and get some dollars too

Price paid to the insurance company to buy the car as salvage would think the title would show as total loss but if that don't bother you then be good buy

Congrats on number 4 bud got 3 myself and grand daughter so know the expense there, the money will come in handy real shame about the truck do you get a chance to buy it back and try find a salvage engine? Would be best of both worlds keep the truck and get some dollars too

I'll have to ask them about buying it back since it keeps popping up, but it would only be for info for you guys. It's not something in going to jump back into right away.

I'll enjoy the insurance, gas and payment savings for awhile and maintain my two other vehicles. I have a promotion I'll be getting paid for in the next two months. Once I get things settled again I'll start setting aside some money for another vehicle.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back