Forced Induction Questions - Help Me Decide

FerrariTruck said:
is roe still selling/producing SC'ers?
Yes. He will be making a run of 10 in the next few months.

Anyone keen should put themselves on the waiting list. I've been on for a while now. :D :p

He's got the blowers it's the intake that takes the time.

EOD showed us the true difference in the lysholm "old roe" and the whipple "new roe".

I won't ever have the spare cash again but it's a good dream.

bigike said:
EOD showed us the true difference in the lysholm "old roe" and the whipple "new roe".
Can please you explain, I don't follow? Is EOD a member or manufacturer and what was this "true" difference. :dontknow:

Thanks. :)

The old roe and new roe are both whipple twin screw blowers.

the old one is from when whipple used lysholm blowers. The new 3.3 is a propiotary whipple design that flows almost 1000 more cfm.

EOD is a member. He owns a other wise STOCK truck. With a SCT canned tune he made 635 hp. As a comparison, even though i think there was something holding my truck back. I made 500 hp and 498 ftlbs tq. I've got a cam, headers, exhaust, and a vec with water/meth. This was done on different dynos and can't be used as a true gauge. But he is close to what folk with the 7lb pulley boosting 10 lb's are running on modified engines with dyno tunes. They run 700 hp.......

the lysholm is around 1200-1400 the Whipple is 2000-2100.

Here is a cool tool i just found. http://www.davecoxon.co.uk/Blower_Calculator.xls now according to this with a 8.3 litter the blower needs to spin at 11500 which is out of it's max rpm and make 8.8 psi to achieve 800 hp...... we know that doesn't work due to our intake space but hey it's fun

bigike said:
The old roe and new roe are both whipple twin screw blowers.

the old one is from when whipple used lysholm blowers. The new 3.3 is a propiotary whipple design that flows almost 1000 more cfm.

EOD is a member. He owns a other wise STOCK truck. With a SCT canned tune he made 635 hp. As a comparison, even though i think there was something holding my truck back. I made 500 hp and 498 ftlbs tq. I've got a cam, headers, exhaust, and a vec with water/meth. This was done on different dynos and can't be used as a true gauge. But he is close to what folk with the 7lb pulley boosting 10 lb's are running on modified engines with dyno tunes. They run 700 hp.......

the lysholm is around 1200-1400 the Whipple is 2000-2100.

Here is a cool tool i just found. http://www.davecoxon.co.uk/Blower_Calculator.xls now according to this with a 8.3 litter the blower needs to spin at 11500 which is out of it's max rpm and make 8.8 psi to achieve 800 hp...... we know that doesn't work due to our intake space but hey it's fun
Thanks for the explanation, just to clarify you run the old whipple (which on paper, you say is better? as more doesn't always = better) and EOD runs the new one? Sorry mate, I have OCD and like to be 100% sure what I read is correct before I make any calls. Ie: I don't want to pass on this info to others if asked in future and have it the wrong way around lol. Also, with those new hoods out with larger under hood clearance, you would think the SC guys would try to raise that low intake and try to increase some flow? I would but I don't like the new hoods but someone should try. :)

No I've got a Lysholm old style. And it's not as good. The new Whipple is better.

The only way to fit a bigger bower would be to run a "AX" axial rear inlet blower. The hood isnt the limiting factor it's the firewall and valiance area that is almost touching the blower inlet hat.

3.3 is what we got, they dont make a "r" top inlet 4.0 and the 5.0 is just tooo big. But with the new whipple the 3.3 will give us the hp we want.

Another issue is heat. The intake picks up a ton of heat...... hell you can't touch the intake 1 hour after you park it. I think heat coatings will give a good safe fix. Not to mention the intercooler.

Thanks mate, great info and a good help. I will be passing this info on to my builder who loves these set ups and hopefully he can pull some good #s out of it, I'm pretty confident he can push the Roe reasonably hard. :D

How many guys on this forum have hit 600rwhp+ with a naturally Aspirated (NA) build? Me and my shop are trying to cover all options here and take a step back and a breath or two to achieve my desired goals. Not sure what I'm doing now, lol but I know I won't do anything until I've tested the BATRAM and it's new 4L80E set up, traction, suspension etc. Doing searches on Viper (car) forums, it seems 710 crank hp (NA) is a great achievement with these Gen III engines, which would equal around 580-600rwhp. Looking at cam options, porting heads etc. Just browsing at this stage and making sure I'M happy and my goals are covered.

Thanks!

OK, as much as I have really, really, really (you get the point) tried to make myself get used to the Roe whine, I just can't. Don't hate, it's personally preference. I'm use to traditional belt style noises of blowers and to me, the Roe is just too in your face and IMO, for a beast truck to have such a "high voice" or squeaky sound is not appealing. The power is yes, but I'm honestly not 100% keen on the sound. It's definitely livable but why should I "make" myself enjoy it, who am I trying to please? lol. As I said, I will be getting the BATRAM back this week and will have it for around 2-4 weeks. In this time I will learn the trucks new behaviour, traction issues and capabilities etc etc and see what kind of power I want to make as I'm a firm believer in getting the goods, to the ground. If 550rwhp is a good traction/street amount, that is what I will aim for. 650rwhp, that is what I'll aim for.

I have one question on the Roe and Twin Screw style set ups. I've seen numerous time while searching the net on this system that say: "They also make a lot of noise. The compressed air exiting the discharge outlet creates a whine or whistle that must be subdued with noise suppression techniques." What are these so called: "noise suppression techniques"? Can anything be done to reduce or eliminate even change the noise/tone of the Roe SC? I'd be happy with a system like that but without that noise. Once again, this is personal preference, I'm not hating on anyone lol. TRUST me, I've tried to like it or get used to it but no matter how hard I try.......it's not working for me. I just can't get used to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCbiN5we_LA I did note that on Whipples site, it says they have new designs that, and I quote: "Industry leading near-zero noise levels (db)" and that it has "very low noise levels". This video of a Ford GT is using a 4.0L Whipple and there is no noise, how and why? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIJZSKLe3Do

Thanks guys,
Carl

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1162

super-charger-13.jpg

The F2 that Jack and Ram got are MUCH louder than the Roe. Mine is loud now, before there was a blower sound deading device on the truck when I bought it.

It was 3" catless open side exhaust, you simply couldn't hear the blower.......... They might make a quiet gear set for these not too sure.

Adding a JMB intake might help, and if you added the intake and made a clear box for it over where the stock filter went. That may go along way to hushing it up.... I love the sound though. I can't wait to get my pistons and rods to turn up the wick....

It does sound like the majority of the noise is gear whine from having straight cut gears in the blower case. I bet Whipple put some angular or helical cut gears in theirs to quiet it down a bunch. Then, you could put a noise muffler (plastic resonator) on the intake side and quiet it even more.

Carlwalski said:
How many guys on this forum have hit 600rwhp+ with a naturally Aspirated (NA) build? Me and my shop are trying to cover all options here and take a step back and a breath or two to achieve my desired goals. Not sure what I'm doing now, lol but I know I won't do anything until I've tested the BATRAM and it's new 4L80E set up, traction, suspension etc. Doing searches on Viper (car) forums, it seems 710 crank hp (NA) is a great achievement with these Gen III engines, which would equal around 580-600rwhp. Looking at cam options, porting heads etc. Just browsing at this stage and making sure I'M happy and my goals are covered.

Thanks!
check out rotten ronnie with his n/a motor...he's got a shit terd ton of info on it...

505'sFastestViper. said:
vipertruck2933 (spelling) i believe hit close to 600 rwhp

535;)

Rottenronnie has almost 580 with a QC and pirateman has over 600 with his RC:rock:

bigike said:
The F2 that Jack and Ram got are MUCH louder than the Roe. Mine is loud now, before there was a blower sound deading device on the truck when I bought it.

It was 3" catless open side exhaust, you simply couldn't hear the blower.......... They might make a quiet gear set for these not too sure.

Adding a JMB intake might help, and if you added the intake and made a clear box for it over where the stock filter went. That may go along way to hushing it up.... I love the sound though. I can't wait to get my pistons and rods to turn up the wick....
Thanks, I think no matter what I do that whine will be there. The ProCharger is different, that whine is a nice whine and is a meaner sound to it, more subtle and "angry" vs. the Roe's very high pitched "look at me" sound. I have sent Sean @ Roe Racing an email asking if there is ANYTHING that can be done. I will wait to see. At this stage I'm looking at a NA build LOL who would have thought (read the name of this thread lol).....hindsight is nice. I like the idea as this will be my daily driver and I want solid/stout build without any worries of something failing that doesn't have to be there ie: a third part (FI).

At this stage, 550-600rwhp with the 4L80E set up and some good suspension tuning will see it be a very mean machine on the street and being NA, a completely different animal, power is always there, that is the goal. I'm also looking at getting some custom made pulley system similar to Gilmer/Millerspeed made to get a nice belt whine going under the hood, less slip yes but obviously more for a unique sound. I'll see. First things first, have to test the 4L80E set up and see what kind of traction this bad boy gets. I know 1st lights up around 80% throttle so I ask myself...........why add more hp to the trouble with low end torque from the Roe? ;) We'll see, all opinions are much appreciated.

Millerspeed belt whine = :rock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PVplALM1Tk

Cheers!

The CAI I got from JMB for the ROE took the whine down a notch.

Before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCbiN5we_LA

After... and this is with the 10# pulley. If you're just going for 550-600hp you should be good with the stock pulley. So it wouldn't even be this loud.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4raw3PdGtV8

I figure the ROE... especially if you can find a used one... would be much cheaper than trying to get that power NA. Don't have to worry about heads, cam, etc.
Just a basic build to be on the safe side.

Come to think of it, the Paxton doesn't really whine at all, and traction would be less of an issue. Why not go with that:dontknow:

LoveThisTruck said:
The CAI I got from JMB for the ROE took the whine down a notch.

Before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCbiN5we_LA

After... and this is with the 10# pulley. If you're just going for 550-600hp you should be good with the stock pulley. So it wouldn't even be this loud.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4raw3PdGtV8

I figure the ROE... especially if you can find a used one... would be much cheaper than trying to get that power NA. Don't have to worry about heads, cam, etc.
Just a basic build to be on the safe side.

Come to think of it, the Paxton doesn't really whine at all, and traction would be less of an issue. Why not go with that:dontknow:
Thank you Sir, it did quieten it down a tad but still that sound lol Again, no offense to Roe owners, heck I know not everyone likes my all blacked out truck, just personal preference. By the way, doesn't less whine from a CAI kit mean it's getting less flow/cfm = less power? I have a JMB CAI and would probably do a custom setup if I went Roe, similar to the JMB not quite. NA just isn't for power, my builder recommends it as do quite a few people down under, at the strip, racers etc it's usually 9 out of 10 are NA built for war. The benefits for my build are what appeal to me. We can really build it to suit my truck and needs. Traction is a big part of it as well and of course the power delivery itself. No point have power when you can't use it. The Paxton is a possibility and you are right, the torque is less down low so definitely an option. Still, NA is looking good. I'll see.....decisions, decisions, decisions.....

Thanks again! :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back