Kicked A Rod

Marty who used to work with Gary Virgin has done it...but I don't know where to find him...I would bet that he is still in Evansville.

You could also check with large diesel repair shops...they have probably done it. Remember that the Viper engine was initially a truck engine.

The biggest issue with a broken rod in a Gen 3 Viper motor is the oil gallery which is just above the crank shaft.
Usually the broken rod takes out the oil gallery and if that happened no one has had any success welding it. The blocks seem to "move around" too much and break out at the welded area very soon.
A window in the side of the block is no big deal, as it can be fixed easily.
A damaged sleve can be replaced depending upon the extent of the damage.

Prof said:
Marty who used to work with Gary Virgin has done it...but I don't know where to find him...I would bet that he is still in Evansville.

You could also check with large diesel repair shops...they have probably done it. Remember that the Viper engine was initially a truck engine.

That truck block was a cast iron block, not aluminum.

HaulinAsp said:
Obviously this place needs a submerging tank. I know they want to submerge the block in a cool fluid and keep the portion to be welded not submerged. This is a key process to keep distortion from the welding down to a minimum.....

Problem is try finding a place with these capabilities local.

Check this sight alsohttp://www.enginebuildermag.com/SiteMap/SiteMap_ContentList.aspx

Prof said:

Remember that the Viper engine was initially a truck engine.

Not meaning to pick a squabble but thats not true. Dodge was developing a V-10 engine at the time of the conception of the Viper. The idea started there, but even the gen 1 engine didn't share parts with the cast iron V-10 (maybe a few). There certainly isn't anything shared with the gen 3 engine.

See the history on the Viper sites. Or read any book on the development of the Viper. This statement is made by folks who want to illustrate the start with nothing, put together fast mystique of the Viper and from journalists who are trying to degrade the Viper. :dontknow:

cobraken said:
Not meaning to pick a squabble but thats not true. Dodge was developing a V-10 engine at the time of the conception of the Viper. The idea started there, but even the gen 1 engine didn't share parts with the cast iron V-10 (maybe a few). There certainly isn't anything shared with the gen 3 engine.

See the history on the Viper sites. Or read any book on the development of the Viper. This statement is made by folks who want to illustrate the start with nothing, put together fast mystique of the Viper and from journalists who are trying to degrade the Viper. :dontknow:

Did the V-10 evolve from a 360ci, mid-1970s vintage engine, albeit with 2 cylinders added?

Looks like I am late in commenting on this unfortunate issue. First and foremost I hope your wife is doing better. If not I pray she does because she is your main priority.

As for the ride, I noticed the mod list. I only thumbed through the many posts left thus far so I don't have a clue if this was mentioned or addressed. The SCT tune you received.. Did you install the tune in your garage? Did you have an A/F ratio gauge before implementing the high 94+ octane tune? Could this have been a lean burn problem?

I also got the SCT but as I memtioned elsewhere on this forum I am waiting to order my wideband A/F gauge before having mine dyno tuned for the 94+ plan. I will have to pay an extra $450.00 if I require a different tune than what I received from ROE but I don't mind.

I could be wrong since I didn't read all the other posts but I was just curious on what happened before this ordeal since your motor is near stock like mine. I just crossed 40K miles this month so I am all eyes and ears here. I hope all gets better for you and yours.

Last edited:
Guys, Fellow VTCOA members and brothers and sisters-

I really believe this was caused from the typical # 3 Rod issue that is becoming quite common with these engines, I am hearing more and more of this issue, and it's the same deal, # 3 oiling issue.

THIS WAS NOT CAUSED BY MARTY FLETCHERS/KRC PERFORMANCE SCT TUNES. THERE WAS NO PREMATURE DETONATION OR PINGING GOING ON THAT I HEARD.

I don't want to see anyone get dragged into this as a possible cause. Many people have loaded tunes in their rides with much success. . . .In the meantime I need to locate a shortblock cause these feet weren't made for walking:creep:

I don't think these questions were intended to drag Marty or any other SCT dealer through the mud. It's just questions that are trying to pinpoint a possible cause and perhaps a solution. Although the #3 rod issue has been around for a while this is the first time I've seen multiple threads started on the same subject. This is also the first time I'm seeing this happen to N/A or closer to stock motors. The more experienced members are going to come out with all kinds of scientific possibilities. But I've been a firm believer of 'if it's just under your nose you may not see it...' Try it! Put your finger under your nose... :eek:Do you see it? The defense rests.. LOL

I have talked to several Viper techs and they stated they have seen em both with F.I. engines and mild N.A. to even stockers........... Thanks Ma Mopar.

I feel most for those who have not modified their engines. To lose a stock engine to something that seems to be endemic to an engine is really bad luck. Of course those that bought the truck new had a warranty and the option to purchase an extended warranty. I have seen a few that were covered by warranty over the past few years...but not many.

Those of us that modify these engines need to understand that failure of one sort or another is always just a few short revs away...we roll the dice and have to be ready to pay to play. The members here that have been doing this for 20, 30 or 40 years :)eek: :eek: :eek: ) all have experiences that have caused us to wonder why?....why?....why me?...yet we continue to push the envelope.

FSTJACK probably has the largest build ever for an SRT 10...he may well be pushing well over $200,000 and has not yet fired the engine...the day he does it is possible that he will have to pull it and rebuild...he knows that is a chance he will take every time he pushes the red button on that beast.

Going fast long term is very expensive, Chrysler used speed as a marketing tool, they did not intended for this truck to run forever, just move successfully off the showroom floor and create as few problems as possible until their warranty was expired. All of us would have done it exactly the same way, if we were mass marketing a Dodge truck.

Going fast, quickly is not for the faint of heart, or the underfunded. Plan your work, work your plan...if you cannot fund the bad outcomes, revamp your plans. There are lots here that just baby their trucks, and most of those will run for a long time. Every sprint, every burnout, takes its toll...be ready to pay or execute a plan that maximizes the safe approach to engine life.

Class dismissed...have a great day.

Last edited:
I may have located a 9,400 mile engine to replace my broken one and I am waiting to hear of a shortblock that was used for the Gen3 engine Tommahawk Concept....This one will get the build up with forged/stroked setup.

HaulinAsp said:
I may have located a 9,400 mile engine to replace my broken one and I am waiting to hear of a shortblock that was used for the Gen3 engine Tommahawk Concept....This one will get the build up with forged/stroked setup.

What did the engine cost you if you don't mind me asking. I just bought a complete dressed engine for $5G's.

SrtBrad said:
What did the engine cost you if you don't mind me asking. I just bought a complete dressed engine for $5G's.

I got one quoted to me for $5500 complete outta a wreck;) I think he will take 5 for it though:dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back