loud engine clunk @ startup

Yeah I hope these guys stand by their work and warrant the engine. The guy says they got the water out out and bumped the engine. It did start for them and im hoping that they arent just saying well it starts so its all good. Not sure why they would being a service department at the dealership (more money for them). Ill keep you guys updated on new developments. This thread cracks me up at times. Thanks for all the help guys (you too stinker)

SANTEEN said:
Roy, you can't say water didn't close the electrode. The same way I can't 100% say it did. "Loose projectiles" didn't cause it, as the pan has already been taken down and the engine inspected and there was no signs of metal anywhere.:) I know it sounds like I'm beating a dead horse. But, if you only saw what happens when a piston tries to compress water, you probably wouldn't be arguing this right now. :)

Just one more statement here...as was stated by Tony and me...not on this engine! The bent electrode was well before the water incident...I believe that was the point made by Tony posting the earlier comment about the electrode being bent.

Anything is possible as you state. But the water issue was well after the discovery of the bent electrode.

Dead horse is now completely digested...and it does taste pretty good to this guy...my spouse is a vegetarian!

eddie102870 said:
i raise hell if they didnt take it down and look at the inside

I agree Eddie...I would even pay a couple of grand to have them do it, just so I would not worry about it in the future.

Dealership called and said they were replacing

-2 rod bearings
-oil pan gasket
-new oil
-spark plugs

12,000 mile warranty on the engine. If there are other issues they said they would fix it and relate it back to the water issue. Man it sure sounds like more should be done to me.

WATER DID IT!!!! Like has been posted numerous times, including by a member's wife, it only takes ounces to hydrolock and engine. I have personally seen bent electrodes numerous times and have to agree with Santeen. Your electrode is supported by one branch then does a 90 of this ones branch. That 90 is horizontal and on the compression stroke, both valves closed, the water is coming up the cylinder, riding the piston crown, and once it TRIES to quench in the combustion chamber (that should just have an air/gas mist) it has nowhere for the water to go and the first, and only thing in the way is the electrode of the plug and it gets this force exerted upon the end bending the electrode. This is also when something else has to give ( rod, piston, BELLHOUSING, starter, flywheel teeth,). So...............yep the water did it! But...............How in the hell did it get the water in there? That's what these techs need to do their CSI on. A soda bottle full of water is wayyyyy too much for and accidental ingestion.:dontknow:

ANd Justin, don't ever let that REDNECK tow company put a dolly on that truck. That's what a rollback is for! I, at first glance, thought they were jsut gonna put it on the truck and pull it front end first without removing the driveshaft? Course your a 6 spd so it wouldn't really hurt.:D

SANTEEN said:
Okay smarty pants.:) It wasn't a week before. He said it was raining the two days before this happened. So unless he didn't drive the truck those two days, he could have easily sucked water into the intake tube. The water puddled in the JMB intake tube, he said he poured 12-16 oz out of the intake tube. If there was that much in the intake, he could have easily sucked water in when starting it, if it was puddled like that in the intake.There is no question that the engine injested water. He drained the oil and at the very end, the milk shake looking oil came out. Then he poured fresh oil in and drained it again and guess what? More water came out. Then he turned the engine by hand with the #6 plug out and guess what, water came out of that plug hole. I still love you Stankman. But, everything points to water damage. Could it have closed the electrode? Possibly. Did it? I have no idea. Neither does anyone else.:dontknow: Anyway, hope this works out for him.
ok purdy pants, ya got ya pink flip flops on this morn:D

here is his original post about the plug:D

02-05-2010, 06:09 PM
jsandlin

Member Number: 9847

Viper Master/Slave Install Issues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I finally was able to get my truck over to the shop and have the install done. The owner of the shop actually let me get in there and give him a hand with the install. A bit of history though.....about 5 months ago I had a local shop in Houston put in a Southbend clutch for me and a new OEM Flywheel. A month or so later I found it getting more and more difficult to shift at high RPMs. Eventually i was not able to get in gear at all and parked it (luckly i was at a family members when it broke but still 300 miles from home). This past week the viper master/slave install was finally completed after 2 months of my truck being down and here are pictures of what i found.

After all was installed I drove for awhile and noticed a studder coming from my engine. My check engine light was on so I stopped by a parts store to check the OBD code. It had a code of P0303 and P0306 which is missfiring in the number 3 and number 6 cylinder. I pulled the plugs and found this on the number 6 cylinder. i recently changed all my plugs too

I gapped the plug with a screwdriver to get me going and the engine light went off. Just wondering how this could have happened

02-11-2010, 07:09 PM
jsandlin

Member Number: 9847

loud engine clunk @ startup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

went out to start my truck and a loud metal clunk is heard and it sound like everything just locks up There is no cranking at all and nothing turns over just a loud noise. Anyone know whats going on? It threw an engine code but im just waiting to get an OBD meter to read the code.

so one day he gets the plug changed, on the way home finds a plug compressed, 6 days later, it want crank over, and he was not at his office or so on, so uhum, he had to drive it home:love:

he regapped it with a screwdriver and cranked it and DROVE IT HOME

6 days later it would not crank :five:

Santeen you little cutie pie:love: :bandit: :bandit:

jsandlin said:

-2 rod bearings
-oil pan gasket
-new oil
-spark plugs

12,000 mile warranty on the engine. If there are other issues they said they would fix it and relate it back to the water issue. Man it sure sounds like more should be done to me.
Kick ass Justin, now matter how much fun we get to have wtih santeen on this, that is just kick ass bud:rock: :rock:

but they prob should at least do new main bearings while they are there:confused:

Prof said:
Just one more statement here...as was stated by Tony and me...not on this engine! The bent electrode was well before the water incident...I believe that was the point made by Tony posting the earlier comment about the electrode being bent.

Anything is possible as you state. But the water issue was well after the discovery of the bent electrode.

Dead horse is now completely digested...and it does taste pretty good to this guy...my spouse is a vegetarian!
No sir, the damage was done when it rained. Or let me guess, the poor guy was unlucky enough to have his engine let go (which caused the electrode to close and then hydrolock the motor? :dontknow: The engine just said "no more" on that last start-up attempt. Now the horse is digested.:)

jsandlin said:

-2 rod bearings
-oil pan gasket
-new oil
-spark plugs

Have them look REAL close for a slightly bent rod. I have seen engines crank and run (like shit) after a hydrolock and they had a slightly bent rod.

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
Kick ass Justin, now matter how much fun we get to have wtih santeen on this, that is just kick ass bud:rock: :rock:

but they prob should at least do new main bearings while they are there:confused:
I am so nut checking your ass in Panama.

SANTEEN said:
I am so nut checking your ass in Panama.
I will tell joy about your secret account the turbo headers, the turbos, the transmission , rear axle new hood, all new billet items, and engine internal upgrades too:D

I will tell joy about your secret account the turbo headers, the turbos, the transmission , rear axle new hood, all new billet items, and engine internal upgrades too:D

Ouch :love:

Please have them check the ring lands on every piston for cracks or missing land material too!

Prof said:
Please have them check the ring lands on every piston for cracks or missing land material too!
yessir that there water could have pissed off the ring lands:D

Justin, jsut a quick question

are you using any type of tuner?

jsandlin said:
Ill let them know Prof. No tuner Tony. You have a spare you want to "loan" me?
LOL no we burned the one I had:D but torrie will hook ya up bud:)

na, I was jsut wondering if you were one of the unlucky few that had the kmc tune still in theres,

but they should pull the thing completly down like prof says and check it from top to bottom..

Fugger!!!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back