loud engine clunk @ startup

SANTEEN said:
DO NOT REMOVE THE WATER FROM THE INTAKE!! If it's hydro-locked from water ingestion, this is a good thing. It will be completely covered by your insurance. This would also explain the collapsed spark plug electrode. You can't compress water. It will easily bend a rod. I go through this atleast once a year in my line of work.

That happened to someone I know once getting off a ferry, the truck inhaled some water and bent the rods!!:mad:

thewelshm

I agree with Santeen. Pull the plugs and use a borescope. It will let you look into the cylinders without any major disassembly and identify any water intrusion by the form of corrosion.

If water intrusion is confirmed, it would be covered by the comprehensive portion of your auto insurance less your deductible.

dont need a block if only the rod or rods are bent.

how would water get past the filter and into the intake hose?

next step, take out the plugs and turn by hand. with plugs out it should spin very easy. if it does not drop the tranny and try again. cant ignore the smashed plug. you don't have a water/meth system do you?

SANTEEN said:
Who said anything about warranty??? If you're being sarcastic Prof, please don't talk about what u don't know. If you're not being sarcastic, then I aplogize for my last statement. Water ingestion IS Covered by your auto insurance 100%, less you deductible. Since the engine was replaced not to long ago, there probably won't be any betterment. And that would easily explain all of his symptoms. Again this in my line of work. And living in South Florida, I have done more than my share of hydro-locks. And I can't think of one that wasn't covered by insurance.

Totally serious! Warranty is probably the wrong term...but the flood concept of water ingestion is wonderful if it is the cause. What a great outcome that would be in this situation...:rock: :rock: :rock:

I would not attempt to turn the engine over as the evidence of a hydro-lock would be at risk if you were to complete the rotation. The water would probably come out the spark plug holes and leave the cause in question.

If you can confirm it, call your insurance company and they will further assess the situation. Good luck.

What a brain FUIOUOUOUUCK this has turned into.

I dont mean to be sarcastic but you may want to start over.

Call the insurance.
Take it back to the engine replacement installer.
Have them give u a total written break down of what they are going to do.
A written results.
Go from there.

U may be incuring more problems by trying to go it by yourself.

SHU

Prof said:
Totally serious! Warranty is probably the wrong term...but the flood concept of water ingestion is wonderful if it is the cause. What a great outcome that would be in this situation...:rock: :rock: :rock:
Sorry for the misunderstnding Prof. And thanks for the ourteous response.:) You know how people are sometimes? They're quick to be smart asses.

blackviper said:
I agree with Santeen. Pull the plugs and use a borescope. It will let you look into the cylinders without any major disassembly and identify any water intrusion by the form of corrosion.

If water intrusion is confirmed, it would be covered by the comprehensive portion of your auto insurance less your deductible.
Yeah Jorge, you too would know alot about hydrolocks in South Florida.:D Floods down here help stimulate the economy.:)

scoobert said:

next step, take out the plugs and turn by hand. with plugs out it should spin very easy. if it does not drop the tranny and try again. cant ignore the smashed plug. you don't have a water/meth system do you?
Seriuosly Scoob?

scoobert said:

No, but if you've got a good service consultant at your dealer, that knows how to talk to insurance adjusters, you can get a new block.:D

scoobert said:
he drove thru 3 foot of standing water?
The only reason I'm responding, is to hopefully educate you. You don't need that much water to hydrolock an engine. Driving in 6 - 8" of water and having an oncoming vehicle splash the water onto your vehicle, can easily be enough to hydrolock an engine if it gets directed into the intake opening.

wow, never knew it was that easy. i dont know how many trucks i have driven full speed thru over a foot of standing water to no effect but steam off the exhaust. 1982 corvette, 1983 nissan pickup, 1987 reliant, 1990 buick lesabre, 2000 jeep cherokee. never had issues with any of them.

just odd he didnt mention anything about driving thru standing water of any kind. he just said water in the intake hose....

Man I really appreciate all yhe help I have received here from you guys. I now am nor sure if I should drop the tranny or try and turn the crank or call my insurance company (allstate). It just amazes me that I started the truck around lunch (after trying to determine where a squealing noise was coming from on my serpentine belt) with no problem to come out after work to a fukd truck. It was raining all during work but man it was like 12 - 16 ozs of water in the black intake tube

jsandlin said:
Man I really appreciate all yhe help I have received here from you guys. I now am nor sure if I should drop the tranny or try and turn the crank or call my insurance company (allstate). It just amazes me that I started the truck around lunch (after trying to determine where a squealing noise was coming from on my serpentine belt) with no problem to come out after work to a fukd truck. It was raining all during work but man it was like 12 - 16 ozs of water in the black intake tube

Water in the intake tube is not good....may be thr root of your trouble..

jsandlin said:

is there a hole in the tube? was it lose from the TB?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back