loud engine clunk @ startup

apparently the starter isnt the easiest part to remove on the truck. ill have it out in a few minutes though. praying its bad.

jsandlin said:
apparently the starter isnt the easiest part to remove on the truck. ill have it out in a few minutes though. praying its bad.

come on man 2 bolts! lol

jsandlin said:

\what issue could you be having getting the starter out. after all this we are looking for photos :p

well i just got back from the auto place and they hooked it up. All was good with the starter. Guess its the tranny next?

Clutch is the next guess......check the flywheel teeth to see what they look like too

yeah i need your floor jack though. the teeth look rusted from the ones i can see and not damaged.

Maybe a dumb question. But, have u tried turning the engine by hand with a wrench on the crankshaft?

SANTEEN said:
Maybe a dumb question. But, have u tried turning the engine by hand with a wrench on the crankshaft?

No I havent tried that. What is the process in doing this? I guess this would tell me if the motor is locked up.

1/2 drive ratchet with a proper size socket. make sure you spin it the correct way. if it binds you know you have a problem. you can do this the hard and short way with the plugs in or the long and easy way with the plugs out.

Before you go any further...pull the dip stick and get your wife (or someone with sensitive fingers...to rub the oil between her fingers and see if there are any metal filings in the oil...if the answer is yes...that will say a lot.

Just have to believe you have seized a piston...and it will probably be #3.

Prof said:
Before you go any further...pull the dip stick and get your wife (or someone with sensitive fingers...to rub the oil between her fingers and see if there are any metal filings in the oil...if the answer is yes...that will say a lot.

Just have to believe you have seized a piston...and it will probably be #3.

thanks prof. ill have a go at that.

Well I was going to have a go at cranking the engine by hand so I took off the intake (JMB). There was a puddle of water inside the intake hose coming off the throttle body! How in the hell did water get in there? It did rain over here for the last two days but I have not touched the intake and have never had an issue with the intake before :dontknow: I started the engine yesterday with no problem around lunch time but didnt drive anywhere. At 5PM thats when the loud clunk noise began. This sucks.:mad:

At this point I would also be draining the oil. Looking for water as well as metal.
Did any water come out when the plugs were pulled? (not sure if you did this).
Also what color would the plugs be if water was in there? White residue?

I hate saying things like this...but, if you have blown the engine...you may have punched a hole in the water jacket some where...is your radiator full or is it down on fluid...maybe even empty?

That would indicate you have a window...due to a rod punching a hole somewhere.

Damn, I hate all these negative thoughts...

Maybe this is just a bad dream.

Prof said:
I hate saying things like this...but, if you have blown the engine...you may have punched a hole in the water jacket some where...is your radiator full or is it down on fluid...maybe even empty?

That would indicate you have a window...due to a rod punching a hole somewhere.

Damn, I hate all these negative thoughts...

Maybe this is just a bad dream.

i hope for his sake its just a nightmare.
water would explain the hard crank. also look for oil in the coolant.
could be a cracked head...

Hey Justin I have a shallow socket that will fit our crankshaft bolts here at the house.....I used it to turn mine to get the TC bolts out....I have 2 different sizes

Fahrenheit said:
Hey Justin I have a shallow socket that will fit our crankshaft bolts here at the house.....I used it to turn mine to get the TC bolts out....I have 2 different sizes
Well take it to him jackass:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back