new parts to install

speaking of which, the 1st set of O2 sensors are in the headers and then i will have the hi-flo cats and exhaust cutouts. looking at the 2nd set of O2 sensors the wires will be too short to have then in the pipe after the cats. I read on here that they get really hot. if i tie them up out of the way will i get a CEL before i get emissions tested?? i thought some people deleted the 2nd cats and O2 sensors and fooled the computer?? Does the SCT automatically do that??

Hi,

i deleted second cats, run 200 cell as Primary cats and have both O2 sensors installed.

No CEL light coming on !

Arne

So......trying to replace the front springs, tierod puller not deep enough to grab (worked fine on 66 charger) and pickle fork opening not wide enough to clear lower ball joint and not separating tierod. So I used the spring compressor and got the spring small enough to wiggle out. No way I can get the lowering spring compressed enough to get it back in. So I still have to separate everything to get it back in. So now I have to buy new bigger tools. Speaking of lowering spring, I thought it would be shorter than a stock spring. I noticed that the coils are closer together but thought it would still be shorter

Attachments

• 20150530_113745.jpg
    20150530_113745.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 20150530_113846.jpg
    20150530_113846.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 54
So......trying to replace the front springs, tierod puller not deep enough to grab (worked fine on 66 charger) and pickle fork opening not wide enough to clear lower ball joint and not separating tierod. So I used the spring compressor and got the spring small enough to wiggle out. No way I can get the lowering spring compressed enough to get it back in. So I still have to separate everything to get it back in. So now I have to buy new bigger tools. Speaking of lowering spring, I thought it would be shorter than a stock spring. I noticed that the coils are closer together but thought it would still be shorter

Yessir separating is only way IMO. You can also leave nut atop bolt and tap on it a few blows with a hammer and it'll separate right apart.
The springs height does appear similar but being sufferer rates and progression, under weight is when it shows difference sir. Be careful when separating suspension as well! No accidents from a spring under tension!

Never tryed to pop a ball joint (with hammer) without the spring helping pull it apart. Good luck

well no tools available that i know of to do this, tried hitting the stud ends with hammer to break them apart but no go, don't know if i can put the wheels back on it to get it to a shop with one spring completely removed. i wouldn't drive it i would have it towed

i guess i'm getting too old for this stuff, didn't have any problems doing the complete suspension on my 66 Charger 13 years ago, and i had never done any suspension work before in my life. i just don't understand why this truck hates me so much.

1.front wheel bearings were toast after i drove it home from CT
2.bed cover supposed to take 2 wks, took 6 wks
3.new hood supposed to take 8 weeks, took 12 weeks
4.took 2 days to get right combo of tools and get intake completely off
5.bolt spinning on under engine pan, can't remove it
6.battery re-location kit didn't fit my truck bed right
7.removed rear suspension to get battery tray in properly
8.cant get lowering blocks to sit completely flat on axle perch
9.whole day shot getting shock bolts loose
10.cant separate tie-rods or ball joints
11.got new yellow plug wires dirty putting them back in
12. scratched up header coating installing them
13.melted taillight lens trying to remove them to modify taillights
14.1 fog light didn't re-seal right so now i have to replace the LEDs in it
15.tires are gonna need replacing if i ever get the truck back running again
16.found a crushed brake line on rear axle, don't know when that happened
17.pass axle seal leaking on E-brake pads
18.Daytona wing i got doesn't sit right for some reason
19.tried learning to weld again, still can't figure it out, wasted money and time
20.wonder what will be next???

still have to work on:

1.install intake
2.install injectors
3.install intake sensors
4.install oil cooler lines
5.install new throttle body
6.install underdrive pulley
7.paint/install new hood
8.install lowering springs
9.seperate ball joint/tie-rod
10.re-install ball joint/tie-rod
11.install exhaust cats
12.install exhaust cut-outs
13.install mid pipes
14.powdercoat wheels and fang center caps
15.open up fresh air hood and paint hood
16.install upgraded shifter
17.install lighted start button
18.install bump steer kit
19.get alignment
20.install traction bars

ok, rant over for now, just frustrated, thanks for taking the time to read this far
just hate being old, rickety and slow

well no tools available that i know of to do this, tried hitting the stud ends with hammer to break them apart but no go, don't know if i can put the wheels back on it to get it to a shop with one spring completely removed. i wouldn't drive it i would have it towed

i guess i'm getting too old for this stuff, didn't have any problems doing the complete suspension on my 66 Charger 13 years ago, and i had never done any suspension work before in my life. i just don't understand why this truck hates me so much.

19.tried learning to weld again, still can't figure it out, wasted money and time

still have to work on:

1.install intake
2.install injectors
3.install intake sensors
7.paint/install new hood
11.install exhaust cats
13.install mid pipes
19.get alignment
20.install traction bars

ok, rant over for now, just frustrated, thanks for taking the time to read this far

Some cold beers will fix most of this! :D:D

P.S., I used a small sledge hammer to get the front suspension apart.

Dont hit the stud ends. Take the hammer and whack the spindle around the part the ball joint goes through. It will vibrate the metal and the tapered ball joint end will pop loose.

got both tierod ends out with a little heat, balljoints are bigger though……. how much heat can aluminum take before it just melts to the garage floor??? someone out there had to pass chemistry class right??

I didn't have to use any spring compressors to lower my truck.....

I kept the metal spark plug wire insulators as I was worried about the wires melting. I think I wrote a how-to for the suspension... some where on here

Nope I didn't. I have lots of pics in my build thread though. If you remove the lower ball-joint nut and lower the front control arm with a jack, then you can remove the spring without a spring compressor- and replace it without a spring compressor. Really easy. Since I installed urethane bushings everywhere I had to remove the control arm anyway.

No compressor needed. And also when you are going to remove the springs- you do not need a compressor.

i used the spring compressor on the 1srt one cause i could tell there was enough room to get it out WITHOUT taking everything else apart. what i forgot was that there was no way to compress the new spring when it was sitting on the bench. soooo i knew then that i had to take everything apart like everyone said i would. problem is, those ball joints still don't want to budge

so now i have 1 old spring out and 1 old spring in and both lower ball joints still connected holding everything else up

The containers of liquid are carb cleaner. Clear is fresh, black is 1 pass through injectors , lighter colored is 2nd pass. I'll probably make 1 more pass to see if it gets cleaner

Attachments

• 20150524_140205.jpg
    20150524_140205.jpg
    968.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 20150524_140129.jpg
    20150524_140129.jpg
    926.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20150525_050840.jpg
    20150525_050840.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20150525_051748.jpg
    20150525_051748.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20150525_051208.jpg
    20150525_051208.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

still have to work on:

1.install intake
2.install injectors
3.install intake sensors
7.paint/install new hood
11.install exhaust cats
13.install mid pipes
19.get alignment
20.install traction bars

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

You need someone to help you man. Get a friend to help. Makes a world of difference. You will look at the obstacles differently, things will go smoother- shit will happen less often with 2 sets of eyes and 4 arms working.

well, i guess tomorrow i'll start pricing ball joints and spindles just to be ready

heat, pry bar and 3 lb hammer not budging these ball joints, and this one is starting to deform, hope it will still be ok on the inside. knowing my luck the first hard corner i make the spindle will crush from a stress crack i just gave it, thats assuming i ever get to drive it again

Attachments

• 20150602_165228.jpg
    20150602_165228.jpg
    776.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20150602_165212.jpg
    20150602_165212.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20150602_165126.jpg
    20150602_165126.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
You need someone to help you man. Get a friend to help. Makes a world of difference. You will look at the obstacles differently, things will go smoother- shit will happen less often with 2 sets of eyes and 4 arms working.

I know right??? But my buddy E is superman, he can do it all by himself. I just wanted something to do, so I beat him to the vacuum cleaner and took care of all the left over sod in the bed of his truck. :D

Last edited:
well, i guess tomorrow i'll start pricing ball joints and spindles just to be ready

heat, pry bar and 3 lb hammer not budging these ball joints, and this one is starting to deform, hope it will still be ok on the inside. knowing my luck the first hard corner i make the spindle will crush from a stress crack i just gave it, thats assuming i ever get to drive it again

Let me know if you need help. I will send you a noose so you can hang yourself and stop fucking up your truck:D

is that what i'm doing??, fucking up my truck?? i thought i was trying to improve it??

goint to try dry ice tomorrow morning and see if going the other way will work better than the heat did

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back