SoCal Fires

ntw0rk said:
CNN is only reporting one death, go figure...:dontknow:

You JUST got finished long stroking CNN!! :dontknow: :p ;)

Thanks for the update Bob. :)

SrtBrad said:
How you been. Is everything OK with your residence?

ya everything is good over here with us!!! :) but i hope everything is good with you too!!!! (MOTOR :mad: )

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. - A motorcyclist who allegedly set a small fire in a rural foothill area of the San Bernardino Mountains has been booked for investigation of arson.

Forty-eight-year-old John Alfred Rund of Hesperia was arrested late Tuesday after authorities followed him to an address on State Route 173.

San Bernardino County sheriff's spokeswoman Cindy Beavers says it's not known if Rund is connected to any of the wildfires that have ravaged Southern California since Sunday.

Witnesses allegedly spotted Rund start a fire in brush on State Route 173 south of Arrowhead Lake Road, then leave on a Honda motorcycle.

A California Highway Patrol helicopter followed the motorcycle and Rund was arrested.

OCBob said:
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. - A motorcyclist who allegedly set a small fire in a rural foothill area of the San Bernardino Mountains has been booked for investigation of arson.

Forty-eight-year-old John Alfred Rund of Hesperia was arrested late Tuesday after authorities followed him to an address on State Route 173.

San Bernardino County sheriff's spokeswoman Cindy Beavers says it's not known if Rund is connected to any of the wildfires that have ravaged Southern California since Sunday.

Witnesses allegedly spotted Rund start a fire in brush on State Route 173 south of Arrowhead Lake Road, then leave on a Honda motorcycle.

A California Highway Patrol helicopter followed the motorcycle and Rund was arrested.

I want a piece of him if he is guilty of setting the fire in Arrowhead. My father-in-laws place is most likely burned down but not 100% sure yet. The countless people he has killed, ruined financially and emotionally should weigh in heavily on him when he sits on Death row is he is found guity.

There's so many fires at one time. One just can't help but suspect arson.

How fkn sick does one have to be to do this......?

And yes, I'd shoot the POS on sight..... Jail be damned....

D

I say they just super glue a big sign on their chest and drop them in to down town San Diego. Or in to QualComm Stadium the next Chargers' Home game!

ntw0rk said:
I say they just super glue a big sign on their chest and drop them in to down town San Diego. Or in to QualComm Stadium the next Chargers' Home game!

Why wait.....?

I think the refugees currently at Qualcomm are more than capable of exacting sufficient vengence on this prick..........

Who knows.....? Maybe they'll bring back stoning...

D

Amid worries of new blazes adding to the firestorm already afflicting the region, a man in Hesperia has been arrested on suspicion of arson, and police reported shooting and killing another arson suspect after chasing him out of scrub behind Cal State San Bernardino.

Law enforcement officials said today that they didn't know whether either of the men had started any of the more than a dozen large fires that have devastated Southern California in recent days, including the nearby Lake Arrowhead blaze. The brush fire in Hesperia was quickly extinguished by residents.

Investigators have said that at least two of the huge wildfires, one in Orange County and the other in Temecula, were the work of arsonists.

The confrontation that ended in the shooting death started about 6 p.m. Tuesday when San Bernardino university police spotted a man in a rural area of flood channels and scrub near the campus. University police tried to detain the man, but he got into his car and fled, authorities said.

"We don't know whether he was an arsonist," said Lt. Scott Patterson of the San Bernardino Police Department, which joined the pursuit. "What was related by the Cal State police was that they tried to contact him as a suspicious person in a brush area. Things being how they are, there was a suspicion that he could be an arsonist."

The area near the campus had been affected by the massive Old Fire of 2003, Patterson said, adding that "it's very fire-prone. It's an area that would be very devastated if a fire were to start there."

The man, whose identity has not been released, drove north on Waterman Avenue and up a dirt fire road into the foothills. When officers tried to take him into custody, the man began to ram officers' vehicles, Patterson said. Officers shot and killed him.

"Both agencies' officers fired," said University Police Chief Jimmie Brown, who added that it was not known who fired the fatal shot. "But right now, we don't know too much more."

The shooting is being investigated by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, which is routine for officer-involved shootings.

About three hours later in Hesperia, a man was seen by a female motorist squatting along the side of Highway 173 just south of Arrowhead Lake Road. Sheriff's officials say John Alfred Rund, 48, of Hesperia had just started a fire along the flat, isolated, scrubby road.

The woman called police, and Highway Patrol and sheriff's deputies were soon looking for the suspect, who witnesses said took off on a Honda motorcycle, wearing a red-and-white-striped helmet.

Four residents grabbed shovels and put out the fire with clods of dirt, said sheriff's spokesperson Jodi Miller.

A CHP helicopter, using infrared equipment, caught sight of Rund on his motorcycle, Miller said. Along with CHP officers, sheriff's deputies found and arrested him at a home along Highway 173 near Highway 138, she said.

He was being held on $750,000 bail on suspicion of arson and is to appear in court tomorrow in Victorville.

"He has not been connected in any way so far with any fire up on the hill," Miller said. "We don't know at this point what started that fire."

When fire officials pulled out of Green Valley Lake in the face of a firestorm Monday night, it seemed the small mountain community would be overrun, obliterating not only a quaint lakeside town but a piece of local history as well.

People have been living in this spot -- at 7,200 feet, the highest community in the San Bernardino Mountains -- since the 1890s. The Brookings Lumber Company, whose profits fueled today's Brookings Institution think tank in Washington, cut timber here. It was the site of Southern California's first ski area to have a rope tow.

It was promoted as a resort town in the 1930s and grew -- though not much -- into a town of 600 people.

On Monday, it nearly disappeared.

But instead of being overrun by fire, the town's retired fire chief found just 80 homes of the community's 1,200 destroyed when he surveyed the streets on Tuesday.

Marvin Neville can't take credit for that, but he did stay behind when fire crews surrendered at 10 p.m. Monday. He and his son worked through the night, saving whatever homes they could.

"With two people and one hose, you're not going to go very far," Neville said Tuesday. "We saved two houses. But in 65- to 80-mph winds, you're not going to save much."

They watched homes burn around them.

"We were losing structures about every 15 minutes," he said. "It was quite scary."

Leaving was not an option for him.

"I grew up, up here," Neville said.

His grandfather built a home in the town, a key way station on the Rim of the World Drive from Crestline to Big Bear Lake, in 1957. Neville built his own home in 1970.

"I wasn't going to let my home burn down," he said.

Though wounded, the community will survive, he said. It may take some time for things to return to normal, however.

"The lumber yard is gone," he said. "The real estate office is gone. The people up at the top of the hill, they lost a lot of nice homes up there. You're going to have a lot of people who are scared and they're going to run. For me, now that it's burned, it's the safest place around. You got a 30-year buffer here."

The blackened skeletons of several homes and businesses were still smoldering on the south shore of the small lake in the town's heart.

But none of the homes clustered along the north side were destroyed.

Boats sat on the sand along the shore. The children's playground was untouched.

None of the Green Valley Lake residents taking refuge at the National Orange Show evacuation center in San Bernardino talked of leaving their town.

John Guenther, 48, said he expected to return to find "a bunch of ashes and my personal belongings all melted and burned."

"I'll probably rebuild," he said. "I like the town. It's peaceful, quiet, not a lot of people."

Coming back, he said, "will take time, probably a couple of years. It took years to build it. It will take years to rebuild it."

Neighbors Dave Gordon and Judith Whitner helped each other evacuate and were camped out in the parking lot at the National Orange Show. Whitner, 39, did not know whether her house was still standing. But she wasn't thinking of abandoning the town she has lived in since 1996.

"It was a beautiful community," she said. "It's isolated. It's fairly tight-knit. Whether or not you want to know everybody, you do."

She and Gordon, 40, expected that bond would tighten further as the town pulls together to recover.

"Even people you think you hate," Gordon said, "this sort of thing erases all that."

But the town will be different, he said, especially with fewer big trees.

"It's going to look weird," he said. "We're going to have to buy sun block."

Mario Escarcega, 45, is known in town as Running Wolf. He moved to Green Valley Lake after losing his Crestline home to the Old Fire in 2003. That time he lost everything, he said, including the treasured Notre Dame football uniform of his son, who had died two years earlier.

"I know what it's like to lose things," he said. "It broke me down."

Though relived to find that his home had survived, Escarcega said he would have remained in the community regardless.

"All of our friends live there," he said. "It's our home."

SrtBrad said:
It's official that my father-in-law's house is burnt to the ground.:mad: :mad:

Sorry to here this, Brad... :( Hopes and prayers to your family. If there is anything I can do, just let me know (ANYTHING - towels, clothes, food, bedding, toilet paper..... ANYTHING.) :(

God Bless....

Black1 said:
Sorry to here this, Brad... :( Hopes and prayers to your family. If there is anything I can do, just let me know (ANYTHING - towels, clothes, food, bedding, toilet paper..... ANYTHING.) :(

God Bless....

My dad has a big ole motor home he just bought so he is all good thank you Black1

Ohhhh. The pain must be terrible.

What can we do? Anything needed right now?

Roy

SrtBradsBoss said:
everywhere in Smiley Park/ Fredalba is gone as well. Anybody want to buy property up in the mountains? He is selling his empty lot
If I had the money I would be all over it. I still plan on moving up that way. This is just something that you need to accept if you want to live there. I heard from another friend today that he lost his house as well. He bought it a couple of years ago to use as a part time rental and a second house. Redid the entire house, just finished it 2 weeks ago. Everything in the house was brand new as well.

SrtBrad said:
It's official that my father-in-law's house is burnt to the ground.:mad: :mad:
Please let us know if we can do ANYTHING! Our prayers go out to your family

Thank you everyone but my dad has evrything under control and has a big ole motor home that is fully loaded. When you decide to live in the stick this is what you are up against. This is the 2nd time the house has burned down.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back