PERFORMANCE MODIFICTION QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

Ram Z's SRT said:
I am gettingmy exhaust done tomorrow and I would liketo know if everyone is removing their mufflers with the rear cat delete or are they leaving them on. I'm eventually going to delete the other two front cats but that will be later. Also, how aggressive is the sound with the rears deleted vs. the rears and muffler deleted?

No cats on mine and I like it. After a while I need it louder. Seems like I have gotten used to the sound. If you get rid of your mufflers and straight pipe it you probably won't like it. I think they sound like crap that way. When I was getting rid of my cats with the muffler off I started it up and it was not a good sound at all. Decided to drive around the block to see how it was inside and it was even worse. Lots of Drone!

OK I don't know if you consider this a performance Q or not but here goes... I just recently found out that I am over due for spark plugs... I was told to chg them every 30k and I am at 31000... I think the truck runs great!! So my Q is do I go with the factory plug (champion) or switch to NGK which I was told was a better plug... The only mods I have is exhaust and "my own" CAI...

I have heard to change them out @ 15K miles. Not 100% sure on that though. I replaced mine around 10k and they still looked good. I would stick with the stock champions. The other plugs just aren't worth the money IMO. I would bet you will notice a difference with new plugs in.

WoW after reading you changed yours at 10k I am REALLY over due... Ok then, Champions it is... I am going to spend some quality time with my truck this weekend... I'll let you know about the difference... This is one of my projects... Thanks for the info... Tony...

My plugs did not look bad at all. But I know one guys that has to change his out about every 5K. Again his is running rich from 4K-4.5K rpms and get all fouled up.

Champions or NGK, both are good. Stay away from any "specialty" plugs or anything that says "Bosch" on it.

Here's how to decipher the numbers on NGK plugs:

Attachments

• ngk.jpg
    ngk.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 24
  • ngk2.jpg
    ngk2.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Performance Shop in Houston area?

I Live in Katy (outside the Houston area) and I am looking to do some mods pretty soon. I'm looking to find a good shop for installs and tuning. I Know that there is hennessey out here but im not considering that as an option. I appreciate the input and opinions I have received on this site too by the way.

Fastlane performance, They do Vipers and one of the owners was a co-owner of RSI.

Their is also ARD at clay and keith harrow.

Question

I have an 04 RC N/A with stock internals, my mods are as follows.

SCT Tuner
B&B Catless exahuast

I want to stay N/A and add more power. What should I do next? CAI? I know CAIs don't make much power. Viper Comp Cam? Not sure.

Thanks

gliv said:

SCT Tuner
B&B Catless exahuast

I want to stay N/A and add more power. What should I do next? CAI? I know CAIs don't make much power. Viper Comp Cam? Not sure.

Thanks
Ironhead put a cam and some head work in his truck and now puts 500 to the wheels :rock: :rock: :rock:

andrew heywood said:
My request is, will JTS venom products do 90 day billing...............:D

lay-a-way???? :marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow:

ZCx said:
lay-a-way???? :marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow:
Ya never know,till ya ask.............:D :rock: :D ...........:D :D :D :D :D ..far away.....from reality.........:marchmellow: :p :marchmellow: :slug:

gliv said:

SCT Tuner
B&B Catless exahuast

Thanks

There isn't much more you can do if you want to stay N.A.. Personally, I like N.A. for general performance use with these trucks. Done properly, it works well !

You can go with a ported throttle body and a drop-in K&N air filter. You could install an under-drive pulley (doesn't ADD power but frees some up and leaves more for the wheels). Drop your spare if you haven't already. Again it doesn't ADD power but losing that 97 pounds is like freeing up approx. 10 horsepower.

Change your plugs at 1/2 the recommended interval or even more often than that. Index your plugs (do a search through prior posts on this if you aren't sure about it).

Adding a cam without doing PROPER head mods is a lot of work and quite expensive for the return in power.

GOOD head work or even better, aftermarket heads WITH a GOOD cam will help A LOT. From there, a ported intake...maybe...it depends how far you want to go...??..

These engines love more compression...just watch the tune especially if you stay with the stock heads.

Again, depending on how far you want to go...and how much you want to spend.

Proper cylinder head work or outright swapping them for aftermarket units is a big step toward more power 'cause that is where power is made.

Keep in mind in the end, regardless of what you have done to the o.e.m. heads, you won't end up (more or less) eliminating the intake dogleg the stockers have nor will you end up with a modern design, fast-burn combustion chamber, or an extra thick rigid deck, like you WILL have with aftermarket heads. The aftermarket heads are more money but have some important advantages over the modified stockers (quality of flow and more of it). They have a MUCH cleaner burn AND your engine will run considerably cooler due to increased coolant flow in and around the heads. The difference in power is amazing and, with a proper cam choice you will pick up some gas mileage! :)

Open your wallet, make good choices, and go have some fun !

Ronnie

Last edited:
:burnout:
rottenronnie said:
There isn't much more you can do if you want to stay N.A.. Personally, I like N.A. for general performance use with these trucks. Done properly, it works well !

You can go with a ported throttle body and a drop-in K&N air filter. You could install an under-drive pulley (doesn't ADD power but frees some up and leaves more for the wheels). Drop your spare if you haven't already. Again it doesn't ADD power but losing that 97 pounds is like freeing up approx. 10 horsepower.

Change your plugs at 1/2 the recommended interval or even more often than that. Index your plugs (do a search through prior posts on this if you aren't sure about it).

Adding a cam without doing PROPER head mods is a lot of work and quite expensive for the return in power.

GOOD head work or even better, aftermarket heads WITH a GOOD cam will help A LOT. From there, a ported intake...maybe...it depends how far you want to go...??..

These engines love more compression...just watch the tune especially if you stay with the stock heads.

Again, depending on how far you want to go...and how much you want to spend.

Cylinder head work is a biggie. In the end, regardless of what you have done to the o.e.m. heads, you won't end up (more or less) eliminating the intake dogleg the stockers have nor will you end up with a modern design, fast-burn combustion chamber, or an extra thick rigid deck, like you WILL have with aftermarket heads.

The aftermarket heads are more money but have some important advantages over the modified stockers (quality of flow and more of it). They have a MUCH cleaner burn AND your engine will run considerably cooler due to increased coolant flow in and around the heads. The difference in power is amazing and, with a proper cam choice you will pick up some gas mileage! :)

Ronnie

Ron has some excellent points,those heads do wounders with the right cam and tune,Ron has proved that,more power,better burn,better fuel economy and 1.5 (aprox.) seconds quicker on the track!! Well done Ron!:rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back