bwellmaker's build

Yea buddy,

I am not sure the big silver part will do anything but that painted logo has got to be worth 5 to 10 hp for sure.

UIH

Butch

UIH,

Belangers Long tubes, w/SS high flow cats, and Mangnflow cat backs are on the list of things to do for tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

Pics to follow

UIH,

Butch

UIH,

Yea, I cant wait to here it when done. I have yet to install some of the other things I have been collecting so its a work in progress. This should be the last major lift time needed.

It's tough getting lift time for the entire day. A couple hours is not usually an issue but the entire day can be. When one of the lifts is open I get it's use mainly for beer, so its a friggin deal. He or one of his techs are there to help out if needed which is also great.

Its going to be a long day but worth it in the end I am sure.

Butch

UIH,

Headers and Magnaflow installed.

Not too bad to install. Had a couple little issues but nothing major.

I was able to Kroil all the hardware and O2 sensors a few days ago which helped. Got the truck on the lift about 11am and started loosing stuff up from back to front. We cut the muffler out which just made the job much easier. Everything from the cats back came out pretty simple.

The cats to manifold were a slightly different story. I knew the install nut clips were going to be a pain and I was correct. All but 2 of the 6 nut retaining clips broke and were just spinning so it took a little to get the remaining 4 off. I was able to use pliers to press down the edge of the retainer and use a 9/16 wrench to hold the square nuts and they were out. It did take 2 of us. It was very hard to hold the wrench and work the rachet at the same time.

The heat shields can off really easy. When I went to loosen the RH aft heat shield stud it did not feel good. My first thought was "OH SHIT" followed by "new heads and valve train" then "this will be bad ass. I loosened up the rest of the exhaust manifold bolts and returned to the heat shield stud. There may have been a load pinching on the stud or something because after all the bolts were loose it came right out. Both exhaust manifolds cam out pretty easy from the top.

After removing the plug wire and shields, the RH header slid right in from the bottom. After trying to install the LH header from top and bottom with no luck the starter was removed and it slid in pretty easy. I left the starter off until all the bolts were torqued to 204 inlb. Some of the lower bolts are tough to access for torque. I used some adapters or "dog bones" and was able to get to all the bolts. From there it was pretty simple. I did have to "malletize" the heat shield a touch just forward of the muffler to get the extension from the mid pipe to line up with the muffler. I did rub it down with a spoon so it looked factory. Got everything all lined up and installed loose, and clamp everything down.

Checked everything over jumped in and started it up. Sounds good. Backed it off the lift to get it outside so it didn't stink up and smoke out the shop. Let it run for a while to burn off all the schnizzle and it was ready for a drive.

I like the way it sounds. I knew the interior noise was going to be louder but I guess I was expecting a little less. I may have to Dynamate the thing. I will just have to drive it some more and decide. On the drive home, I would run in a higher gear than normal and it was not bad. I will say driving on the parkways when going under the overpasses, you cant miss it that's for sure. And yes, there had to be a throttle bump while going under the overpass at least once.

I will get a sound clip a little later but here are a few pics.

Last edited:
Nice work, what are you doing with the OE muffler, how many miles on it?????

UIH,

I actually left the OE muffler at my friends shop. It was going to the scrap heap. If you are interested I can have him set it aside and can get it from him if its still there. It has 20k miles.

Here a little sound clip chosen especially for you.

Butch

Nice sound. I really need to get the money together to do a full headers back install

sounds great butch, nice clean install, and saved some bucks along the way. awesome!!!!!!!!!:rock:

Thanks Guys,

I have had a few nice days to drive my truck with the new exhaust system. I mentioned it was louder in the cabin than I expected. I was thinking for ways to re-gain the relative quit cabin of the OE exhaust.

I have seen the light, can I get an AMEN!!!

I have found the "sweet spots" for the cruise on the highway and for the surface level streets for it to be nice ride, with the stealth rumble, yet bark in an instant.

There is a noticeable performance difference. My friend drove it the day before the exhaust mod was done and took it for a quick spin today.

He say the RNHR (redneck hot rod) is ridiculousness.

This is a good thing.

UIH,

B

UIH,

Had the chance to install some more goodies today, The JTS throttle body, the plumbing for the JMB catch can, and the SCT tune from Torrie.

The instructions from Tony for the TB were great as well as the plumbing for the JMB catch can. Removal of the stock TB was pretty simple. I did notice oil in and around the flange of the stock TB and intake plenum, so the catch can plumbing is over due.

After removing the blades and pulling the shaft, it was installed in the new TB and the new blades were installed. I took care to make sure the blades were centered and took the edges off the blades. I did re-use the stock screws to retain the blades. I like the fit better than the ones supplied with the TR.

The catch can plumbing was pretty simple, remove some lines, cap some ports, and install some lines. Because I mounted the can is a place other than suggested by the instructions, I am not 100% happy with the line routing but will address that at a later date.

After everything was installed, I installed the SCT tune. Plugged it in followed the display and it was done in less than 10 mins. I had a beer. I am not sure it gets much easier than that.

When I started the truck it idled perfect. I took it for a quick spin and noticed after it warmed up, the the throttle was sticking at about 1200 rpm. a simple pump of the throttle brought it back to a nice idle. I will have to check the blades once it cools and adjust as needed.

With all I have done over the past week, the difference has been very noticeable with each item installed. It did take a day or so to really drive the truck to feel the full benefit of headers and exhaust install. When I took a quick spin after the TB install, it feels real nice in the response area. I cant wait to get it on the road for some real world driving.

Some pics.

UIH,

Butch

Last edited:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back